When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

54 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Hopefully a positive update...

I hope so however Neil Ferguson been weighing in on the teir system and how the wider the area is the more its surpressed (not sure he has any evidence of that

I'm not saying that Bolton shouldn't be give attention but there are a number of areas in the country with increasing rates. I'm going to have a breakdown if GM are again the ones singled out. 

Surely now the focus should be on hospitalisations before decisions are made on restrictions otherwise what's the point of the vaccine? Im just really disheartened at the noises coming out, just hope I'm wrong about it.

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

Trial results seem to be in

I really hope this leads to the return of outdoor events regardless of what they do with every day life social distancing on 21st June. If events are the only things that require testing then I don't see what the problem is at all.

And to the inevitable "the tests are 100% accurate" replies, life is never 100% without risk and a couple of people asmyptomatic outdoors when most are also vaccinated on top of tests is really next to no risk at all 

The analogy is perfect in that headline 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Ah yes - the Indian strain is due to Bolton and Blackburn's vaccine uptake. Nice one Hancock

I feel a dangerous shift towards "we need 99% or you don't open up an area" if they're going down that road with 95% vulnerable takeup 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Has anyone else struggled to book their jabs? There's loads of availability for 1st jabs near me, but I can't book one because there are no 2nd jab appointments. Don't really want a 100 mile round trip for my 2nd, but that seems like my only option.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

I dunno, being an expert in social science seems reasonable enough to me - that's part of the impact of the pandemic, isn't it? Or are we insisting that everyone has to be a doctor now? Just seems like the Telegraph picking things apart because they don't like what she says. It's not exactly a secret that not all of them are medically qualified.

I think the reaction to fake SAGE is a bit overblown. These people aren't actually deciding anything; they're not a recognised body. They're a bunch of people who know quite a bit more than most, having opinions. Many of the replies to this tweet are absolutely unhinged - the kind of extreme drivel you'd expect to see from the Qanon loons - quite disappointing to see.

The issue is how far and wide those opinions are spread and the prominence they receive. One of the great things about Social Media is it's easy to find qualified, knowledgeable people and find out their opinions on big issues. However it's Indy SAGE members that are constantly on the TV, the Guardian gives them great prominence building whole articles around 'experts say' with them as the experts. Sky News, GMB and LBC push them forward a lot too.

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Has anyone else struggled to book their jabs? There's loads of availability for 1st jabs near me, but I can't book one because there are no 2nd jab appointments. Don't really want a 100 mile round trip for my 2nd, but that seems like my only option.

have you got a text about booking 2nd appointment? I tried before I got this text and there was nothing closeby...but after I got the text there were. Also, if still no joy you could try ringing 119.

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

The issue is how far and wide those opinions are spread and the prominence they receive. One of the great things about Social Media is it's easy to find qualified, knowledgeable people and find out their opinions on big issues. However it's Indy SAGE members that are constantly on the TV, the Guardian gives them great prominence building whole articles around 'experts say' with them as the experts. Sky News, GMB and LBC push them forward a lot too.

social media is also full of people saying all this indian variant stuff is bollocks, ignore the scientists they just want to keep us locked up forever etc etc. Bit like on here really.

28 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Feel fine today after my second jab yesterday, minus the slightly sore arm, despite the nurse being pretty confident I would feel awful and advising me to stock up on paracetamol!

I had my first on monday. Was expecting to be wiped out.... nothing... not even a sore arm. Maybe because ive already had the virus and this is just a booster for me and i kick covids ass 😄 

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

have you got a text about booking 2nd appointment? I tried before I got this text and there was nothing closeby...but after I got the text there were. Also, if still no joy you could try ringing 119.

Had a text about booking 1st appointment, but the website only lets you book if you do both 1st & 2nd. And it says don't bother ringing 119 because they have access to the same appointments as the website 😞