When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

It is pretty scary, particularly after yesterday’s wave of optimism, guess it’s just a reality check more than anything, for me anyway... ah well, had my moment yesterday that high will keep me going some more 

Keep that optimism going, we are still going to be heading out of the pandemic soon. This potential news for me is a good reminder of the restrictions and how important they are. 

32 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

what did they say when you told them toilet duck had told you that the ingredients were ....?

I haven't actually shared it with them yet.... as if any of those ingredients have potential side effect when in bigger doses, it's just going to add fuel to the fire that they were right...

So still pondering at the moment 

8 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I haven't actually shared it with them yet.... as if any of those ingredients have potential side effect when in bigger doses, it's just going to add fuel to the fire that they were right...

So still pondering at the moment 

Is it not a case of the more you try to encourage them to take it, then the more they are likely to resist? As they want to be comfortable that it is their choice and nobody else’s?
I guess there is a chance they will eventually come round to the idea once they have seen how safe and effective they are, and the vaccine will always be available for them if/when they ever decide to have it. 

Edited by st dan

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We're going to get news about scary variants popping up a lot, better get used to it. Hopefully eventually we'll have vaccines to cover any potential variant, that possible?

Yes, there are new vaccines in development that include the nucleocapsid (N) protein, which we also mount an immune response to when we are naturally infected but not with the current vaccines (which all target the spike). The nucleocapsid isn’t drifting as much as the spike, so it’s more stable. There are also structural parts of the virus that pretty much can’t change to any great degree and these too are being trialled in new vaccines (which would also protect against SARS and MERS). This new Californian variant is kind of like the Brazil variant/New UK variant (Liverpool?)...however the spike change that evades neutralising antibodies isn’t as potent as the E484K alteration and we know about the transmission bump the other main change gives. Again, all the other parts of the immune system still function against these variants, so nowhere near game over. More variants will emerge, the key now is getting as many people vaccines we can as soon as we can (which you guys are doing excellently!)...

10 minutes ago, st dan said:

Is it not a case of the more you try to encourage them to take it, then the more they are likely to assist? As they want to be comfortable that it is their choice and nobody else’s?
I guess there is a chance they will eventually come round to the idea once they have seen how safe and effective they are, and the vaccine will always be available for them if/when they ever decide to have it. 

You haven't met my parents!! 😞

Dad is going down the rabbit hole that it's all about stripping our rights and trying to control us. Asked him for a example and he was like well last March they said masks were useless but not we're not allowed in shops without them... it's like the book 1984. Some facts there but reasons for masks no so much (he won't listen)

Mam is just apprehensive and so is youngest brother, might be able to give them more info without being attacked (But I get talked over when try to answer their question or give them some info).

But ultimately it's their choice and I'm not going to bash them over their head too much trying to change their mind, as I've said my piece on what I think and it's up to them I can't force them 

Edited by shoptildrop

24 minutes ago, Copperface said:

They need to delay that Solstice gig as well. What's stopping them shoving it back a month or so?

Haha. In all seriousness though, I'd hope some like BST, and any other organisers might tentatively book the venues/acts etc for some big "festival of freedom" type day gigs with the intention of getting them on sale if things are looking good a month before. I'd definitely go to one of those

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

I really do think this is a possibility, despite what Whitty has said theres no way Boris will hold back if the data looks good 

Real world data is already better than expected and he has gone slower than he wanted to. He isn’t going to get away with going faster at any point. 

19 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yes, there are new vaccines in development that include the nucleocapsid (N) protein, which we also mount an immune response to when we are naturally infected but not with the current vaccines (which all target the spike). The nucleocapsid isn’t drifting as much as the spike, so it’s more stable. There are also structural parts of the virus that pretty much can’t change to any great degree and these too are being trialled in new vaccines (which would also protect against SARS and MERS). This new Californian variant is kind of like the Brazil variant/New UK variant (Liverpool?)...however the spike change that evades neutralising antibodies isn’t as potent as the E484K alteration and we know about the transmission bump the other main change gives. Again, all the other parts of the immune system still function against these variants, so nowhere near game over. More variants will emerge, the key now is getting as many people vaccines we can as soon as we can (which you guys are doing excellently!)...

Ok, thanks. That Christina Pagel has been making the argument that we should try and keep the virus suppressed until we have more vaccines available for these other variants...but that means maybe keeping some restrictions and no travel abroad this summer...which obviously isn't very popular!

24 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Asked him for a example and he was like well last March they said masks were useless but not we're not allowed in shops without them... it's like the book 1984.

Ask him if he's read 1984.

Because either he's not remembered it correctly, or completely misunderstood it..

4 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Yep, the organisation behind the scenes appears to be a little chaotic. Which is fine, it is a national emergency after all and it doesn't seem to be affecting having actual people available. 

I have had my first shifts booked now, but they're in April. Haven't had my ID card yet but hoping it turns up at some point soon before April!  So definitely going to be going over the material before I attend my first shift. You do have 20 supervised vaccinations before you get signed off to do it so the delay isn't that bad really. 

I've even requested some shifts into May because they're even booked up that far in advance. I figure it's better for them to know they have cover a long way into the future. 

Tbh I am getting the sense that SJA are struggling a little by being SO volunteer led. It seems like the sheer volume of the logistics is almost too much, I don't quite understand why they haven't put some 6 month temp jobs in. Surely funding isn't an issue? Maybe they have and it's still not enough!

Ah this is interesting. Glad to hear you got shifts! I'm not actually trained to vaccinate but for one of the advocate roles, which they seem to be even more oversubscribed for.

I do have my ID card though! Not much use to me at the moment.

19 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

Real world data is already better than expected and he has gone slower than he wanted to. He isn’t going to get away with going faster at any point. 

If the data continues to be good, plus the vaccine rollout is faster than they are saying (which seems highly likely) and everyone gets offered one earlier. I think that's a reason to pull things forward without being accused of rushing it.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah this is interesting. Glad to hear you got shifts! I'm not actually trained to vaccinate but for one of the advocate roles, which they seem to be even more oversubscribed for.

I do have my ID card though! Not much use to me at the moment.

Well you're ahead of me on that! Still not got mine. Apparently the lanyards are stuck at customs 

7 minutes ago, august1 said:

If the data continues to be good, plus the vaccine rollout is faster than they are saying (which seems highly likely) and everyone gets offered one earlier. I think that's a reason to pull things forward without being accused of rushing it.

you think they'll reduce the 5 weeks between steps?

8 minutes ago, august1 said:

I completely agree and I think they should go a lot faster once the over 50’s have their protection from the first dose but I just don’t see it happening. There will be too much resistance. 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you think they'll reduce the 5 weeks between steps?

Possibly but I think a few things from steps 3/4 might find themselves being brought in a step earlier than the current roadmap so still a 5 week gap. A little bonus just before local elections as well...

Less of a big bang of opening in the final step and slightly more gradual lifting.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, august1 said:

Possibly but I think a few things from steps 3/4 might find themselves being brought in a step earlier than the current roadmap so still a 5 week gap. A little bonus just before local elections as well...

Less of a big bang of opening in the final step and slightly more gradual lifting.

I think they could fast track some of the safer outdoor stuff....

4 minutes ago, august1 said:

Didn’t think of this possibility, this is a good call and wouldn’t surprise me.