When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not really, because by week 12 we would’ve been ramping up to that capacity the entire time. When we just had the Pfizer vaccine we were vaccinating very small number by comparisons, when we hit the 12 week mark the numbers needing their second shot will be comparatively low. Surely it only becomes an issue 12 weeks on from maximum capacity?

By week 12 there won’t be anywhere near 316k a day needing their second jab, because 12 weeks prior we probably weren’t doing that a week.

I don’t understand. 12 weeks from today we will need 316,000 each day just to dish out the 2nd doses (because we have 316,000 first dose yesterday). So when you said, assuming no more increase, in 12 weeks we could half the 316,000 daily vaccines and do 155k first dose, 155k second dose. You couldn’t surely? You could only use any potential excess of 316,000 on first doses. I get that initially the numbers are a lot lower - but there will come a time (12 weeks from now) when we will have to start doing 316,000 2nd doses a day - in which case to get 155k first doses (as suggested) out we’d need more like 470k vaccines supplied a day. 

We’re basically plucking numbers out of thin air - but one certainty is the fantastic numbers they’re dishing out of 1st doses now will be banging on the door for their 2nd dose in 12 weeks time.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I think it's also just human nature to not dwell on the past but look to the future...and Johnson will be doing his optimistic schtick promising to build bridges and stuff. But then again, the defecit is going to be humungus, and are they going to want to start reducing that before next election? Could be painful.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

It's funny how some people seem to think "can't vote for Labour because of Iraq, can't vote for Lib Dems because of tuition fees, have Tories done anything unforgivable? Nah, I'm sure they're fine".

Then my question would be, how many deaths until it becomes too much for people and they turn against the Tories? 500k? 1m?

It’s a genuine question I’ve been thinking, as it seems 100k along with a devastated health service isn’t enough. Whilst having vaccines is incredible and a much needed way out; it doesn’t bring people back that probably would be alive had the government acted faster or just simply put were better. 

18 minutes ago, mikegday said:

I don’t understand. 12 weeks from today we will need 316,000 each day just to dish out the 2nd doses (because we have 316,000 first dose yesterday). So when you said, assuming no more increase, in 12 weeks we could half the 316,000 daily vaccines and do 155k first dose, 155k second dose. You couldn’t surely? You could only use any potential excess of 316,000 on first doses. I get that initially the numbers are a lot lower - but there will come a time (12 weeks from now) when we will have to start doing 316,000 2nd doses a day - in which case to get 155k first doses (as suggested) out we’d need more like 470k vaccines supplied a day. 

We’re basically plucking numbers out of thin air - but one certainty is the fantastic numbers they’re dishing out of 1st doses now will be banging on the door for their 2nd dose in 12 weeks time.

But we will be levelling up to potentially around 500k doses a day. 

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Then my question would be, how many deaths until it becomes too much for people and they turn against the Tories? 500k? 1m?

It’s a genuine question I’ve been thinking, as it seems 100k along with a devastated health service isn’t enough. Whilst having vaccines is incredible and a much needed way out; it doesn’t bring people back that probably would be alive had the government acted faster or just simply put were better. 

I guess if the number of deaths was a lot higher than our neighbours due to govt decisions, then that would surely be it for this government...

39 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Does not matter. We live in a Tory dominated country voting wise that has drifted to tory lite for a bit which we now look back on as the golden years !! (Apart from Iraq) 

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

It's funny how some people seem to think "can't vote for Labour because of Iraq, can't vote for Lib Dems because of tuition fees, have Tories done anything unforgivable? Nah, I'm sure they're fine".

To be fair though, I don't think they're the same people... 

And (on a separate note) FWIW any government departments that I work with in London (Foreign Office, MoD, Home office) are all insisting people work from home unless its absolutely necessary. At the Foreign office you have to request to be allowed to work in the office if you have no alternative.

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

a lot higher? I mean...yeah...we're definitely one of the worst, but I was kind of meaning 2 or 3 times higher...

Well, UK 1282 deaths/million population, Ireland 511/million population. About 2.5 fold difference (looks worse if you do it by excess deaths as we count probable deaths too and our excess death toll for the year is about 1/3 lower than the CoV recorded deaths). Cases per million population in Ireland are 33537, in the UK it’s 48708 per million. So, the higher case load probably accounts for some of the difference in fatalities and government decisions certainly contribute to that. But, you guys have also done nearly twice as many tests as us per capita, so that too could account for the higher caseload (ie, it’s just as widespread here but we’ve caught fewer of the cases). Most risk factors are fairly equivalent between the UK and Ireland (obesity, diabetes etc are equally prevalent, life expectancy is almost identical), but the UK is far more diverse and we have a younger population (I think we still have the highest % of <25s in the EU) and I suspect that both play a big role in the case fatality rate. Long and short, difficult to compare countries as there are many confounding factors, but the bottom line is that if fewer people catch the virus, fewer people end up in hospital or die and it’s the responsibility of government to enact policies that enable that, and our responsibility to follow them. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Other than the actual bereaved families or close friends, I think most of the population will have moved on from the pandemic by the time the next election comes around. Rightly or wrongly I expect this to be the case. 

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Well, UK 1282 deaths/million population, Ireland 511/million population. About 2.5 fold difference (looks worse if you do it by excess deaths as we count probable deaths too and our excess death toll for the year is about 1/3 lower than the CoV recorded deaths). Cases per million population in Ireland are 33537, in the UK it’s 48708 per million. So, the higher case load probably accounts for some of the difference in fatalities and government decisions certainly contribute to that. But, you guys have also done nearly twice as many tests as us per capita, so that too could account for the higher caseload (ie, it’s just as widespread here but we’ve caught fewer of the cases). Most risk factors are fairly equivalent between the UK and Ireland (obesity, diabetes etc are equally prevalent, life expectancy is almost identical), but the UK is far more diverse and we have a younger population (I think we still have the highest % of <25s in the EU) and I suspect that both play a big role in the case fatality rate. Long and short, difficult to compare countries as there are many confounding factors, but the bottom line is that if fewer people catch the virus, fewer people end up in hospital or die and it’s the responsibility of government to enact policies that enable that, and our responsibility to follow them. 

maybe most similar to UK are France and Germany? and France has 1070 deaths per million, and Germany has 554...

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe most similar to UK are France and Germany? and France has 1070 deaths per million, and Germany has 554...

France reportedly has had many more infections than us despite less testing (I.e. the fatality rate is far higher in the UK)

A big part of our deaths is the fact our population is hideously unhealthy. Gym memberships for all and prohibitive taxing on junk food is needed. And I say that as a bit of a porker myself. 

Edited by Fuzzy Afro

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Let's see if the government listens or if we end up the only country to lift lockdown for the last time (too early) and overwhelm the hospitals with younger people...

We will have enough evidence in a month from here and Israel hopefully to make a decision.

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Ireland completely ignored the NPHET advice didn't they? And then I saw yesterday the govt saying 'HOW COULD WE HAVE KNOWN?'