When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

40 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've spaffed my upvotes up the wall already.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  And it contains the data I was hoping to see - weaker evidence for this new variant being a big driver for infection, meaning that these measure may well work - and increasingly as the weather improves. 

Ah good. I must admit I was slightly surprised myself to see from these graphs that maybe this new variant isn't quite the big driver as you say, although it's certainly playing a big part. 

It was also good to see the start of a drop in the London graph - they have been in Tier 4 for two weeks now with schools on holidays so for the most part they have a head start with lockdown over some other areas of the country, fingers crossed that is a trend we see developing everywhere and as you say these measures may actually work.  

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I assume we should expect the same symptoms with these new variants?

My symptoms started on Friday as a “head” cold with headaches I put down to blocked sinuses.

None of the usual symptoms occurred initially.

It wasn’t until Sunday PM I lost taste / smell which prompted the test on Monday.

Obviously not sure which variant I got but worth me sharing in case anyone has similar symptoms early on...

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Clap for carers to return from tomorrow 

In my wife's words, 'Bollocks to that'. Her team at work all feel the same 

Was OK at the start but then became manipulated and politicised  by all sorts, and the final straw was the Govts dismissal of the NHS and other key workers pay claims etc plus the negative publicity campaign being run for a bit.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s almost as if the real reason for the increase in cases is down to pre-xmas social mixing and not purely because of a different type of virus. 

Yeah, NI's First Minister has said that whilst the new variant is present in NI, the massive increase is not down to it and is in fact down to Xmas mixing, etc.

The clapping thing was genuinely emotional and impressive at the start. But it was really about feeling you weren't alone listening to the noise rolling in  over the rooftops and seeing your neighbours who'd been stashed away in their houses during what was an unprecedented experience for most at the time.

However, with a nurse opposite, a doctor next door, a nurse three doors down and my wife, after a few weeks they felt cringingly embarrassed at being asked to go out and do it week after week and greatly relieved when it ended.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Clap for carers but no one seemed to care when key workers in the public sector had their wages frozen. 

My firm does lots of clinical negligence stuff and those involved in that felt very conflicted clapping on a Thursday and suing the NHS on a Friday...

5 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Yeah, NI's First Minister has said that whilst the new variant is present in NI, the massive increase is not down to it and is in fact down to Xmas mixing, etc.

well, must have been a lot more xmas mixing down south than up north then, people up north must have all got together just after the new year.

Standing outside in the cold wind rain and snow just for a spot of virtue signalling isn’t going to be that popular for long. 

It would have been better as a one off spontaneous action, it’s like that first site wide cheer at Glastonbury when your getting the tent set up. The first one feels great but successive ones never have the same effect. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'll clap if the neighbours are clapping...just to keep up with the joneses.

I feel like it's more likely that people who break lockdown go outside and clap, than people who actually care about our health professionals. 

If you care about health professionals you'd surely know, that half arsedly bringing back an empty gesture after months and months of utter disrespect to our nurses is clearly more of an attempt to make this lockdown seem more like the first. Why only clap for carers when we are in the strictest measures, then go out an flount the rules as soon as your told there's less deaths. 

I'd take it as an insult and condescending if after all this you decided to clap for carers, if you wanna thank them i'm sure there's charities to support or simply sending thank yous to anyone you know in the medical profession.