When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I've been the same last couple of days. Feels like majorly historic times but I can't quite work out why - something beyond the covid/Brexit stuff 

This year has felt unbelievably abnormal. Normal life feels so far away right now. I had it in my mind that 2021 would see us moving back to normality but things just keep getting weirder and weirder.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I assume if on a trial for a new vaccine you can't take one of the current vaccines if offered?

One of the questions they ask as part of the qualification process is whether you have had a vaccination. Assume what you say is the case. Am not sure I would be getting a Vaccination in the short term anyway and when I do get offered one I guess I will make a decision then. Just feel like I can do a bit to help. Even tho it is small. 

• Like 1

Just now, chuckles07 said:

One of the questions they ask as part of the qualification process is whether you have had a vaccination. Assume what you say is the case. Am not sure I would be getting a Vaccination in the short term anyway and when I do get offered one I guess I will make a decision then. Just feel like I can do a bit to help. Even tho it is small. 

Yes, same - I'm also signed up on the Janssen trial and I think the process is that if you are offered one of the current vaccines while still on the trial, they can unblind you and you can then make a decision based on whether you were on the vaccine or the placebo. I don't know what I'll do in that situation, but I'm very low down on the list so it may not be an issue.

12 minutes ago, SophieBee said:

Yes, same - I'm also signed up on the Janssen trial and I think the process is that if you are offered one of the current vaccines while still on the trial, they can unblind you and you can then make a decision based on whether you were on the vaccine or the placebo. I don't know what I'll do in that situation, but I'm very low down on the list so it may not be an issue.

Yes I just got a call from them and have agreed to join after Christmas, and they said exactly this. If offered a vaccination they will unblind me and provide advice as to what is safe to do. The rapidness of the response suggests they are keen for volunteers. Go for it you know it makes sense!

for those near Manchester the trial centre is part of the MRI. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sadly I think this will be the case, we’ll spend January in lockdown based on the numbers we are seeing at the moment. 

Should really be embracing lockdowns at this stage. The severe one we had definitely controlled the virus to some extent. If this new lockdown protects the vulnerable while the vaccine is distributed then we have more chance of a summer closer to normality. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

Yes I just got a call from them and have agreed to join after Christmas, and they said exactly this. If offered a vaccination they will unblind me and provide advice as to what is safe to do. The rapidness of the response suggests they are keen for volunteers. Go for it you know it makes sense!

for those near Manchester the trial centre is part of the MRI. 

My appointment is 6th Jan (with the Barts team for any Londoners interested) - we should swap notes once we've had our first shots! Fingers crossed for the real deal...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Should really be embracing lockdowns at this stage. The severe one we had definitely controlled the virus to some extent. If this new lockdown protects the vulnerable while the vaccine is distributed then we have more chance of a summer closer to normality. 

Oh yeah definitely, I think it’s needed especially with a lockdown that’s more like the first one. Plus better support for businesses too. 

41 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Re: the first tweet here.

It isn't just the complete and utter ineptitude, it's the endless, brazen, completely pointless, incredibly obvious and utterly disprovable lying that's really dragging me down.

• Upvote 2

I think many people will be less inclined to fully support another lockdown until schools are closed again too.
Expecting people to sacrifice everything for a couple of months is one thing, but whilst schools remain open you still have millions of kids passing this on, and then back home to parents etc.
If they remain open, it’s just not going to have the desired effects that the lockdown is aiming for. 

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sadly I think this will be the case, we’ll spend January in lockdown based on the numbers we are seeing at the moment. 

In all honesty I think that would be the best time to do it, shops and restaraunts are naturally quieter at that time of year so it hopefully won't effect businesses too much, I do however think they won't strictly call it a lockdown, they'll just put everywhere in tier 4 or refer to it as tightened restrictions