When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

28 minutes ago, duke88 said:

I think so. I find the whole Yorkshire obsession with banging on about their county bizarre. Can't say being from Hertfordshire or living in Cambridgeshire means anything to me at all! It's just never mentioned in any way around here.

So it’s confirmed that we are the crazy ones. I do know that Lancashire also likes to show off their flag too. 

I wonder if it stems back to the War of the Roses. The whole country had to choose to either support the glorious White Rose or that dodgy Red Rose. Does our obsession with our identity tie back to the fact that we lost that war on a technicality 🤔

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

So it’s confirmed that we are the crazy ones. I do know that Lancashire also likes to show off their flag too. 

I wonder if it stems back to the War of the Roses. The whole country had to choose to either support the glorious White Rose or that dodgy Red Rose. Does our obsession with our identity tie back to the fact that we lost that war on a technicality 🤔

🥇

15 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Anyone notice we are descending into xenophobia, Welsh, Scottish, Yorkshire , Cornish , Lancashire , Ulster, London etc etc. Don’t like it. 

so from now on we are all Pilton. 

I once worked with someone in London who was from Lancashire and when he found out his other half was expecting, he quit as he was moving back home, as, and I quote "he wouldn't let his child be born a fucking southerner".  I can confirm there was not one drop of humour when it was said.    It was one of the most bizarre things I've witnessed, and I found the whole thing pretty depressing.  

So yes, I'm happy to be Pilton, as this country is divided enough already.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Greenelk said:

I once worked with someone in London who was from Lancashire and when he found out his other half was expecting, he quit as he was moving back home, as, and I quote "he wouldn't let his child be born a fucking southerner".  I can confirm there was not one drop of humour when it was said.    It was one of the most bizarre things I've witnessed, and I found the whole thing pretty depressing.  

Haha ❤️ what a good lad, I’d do the same. Up the fucking north!

21 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Haha ❤️ what a good lad, I’d do the same. Up the fucking north!

And no offence intended. Plenty funny decent folk from the south and plenty dickheads in the north but you know, it’s a different thing being from the north. Its correlations. You walk into a pub in the north there is a higher chance you’ll meet sound people than in the south. Besides its in the genes, its in the language, its in the soul. It’s been that way for millenia. More celts and vikings than saxons and french. We are the people who eked out an existence from the peripheral hinterlands of the old world. Its a little bit wilder. And when a people have been oppressed and othered for as long as the north has, there comes an identity, defiance and pride. The NWRA!

Edited by mattiloy
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

This is a weird comparison but over lockdown I got really into watching Four in a Bed on channel 4 and everytime there was someone from Yorkshire on there it was like that was their entire personality and all they'd bang on about is how you'd get a proper Yorkshire breakfast which was, as far as I can tell, the exact same as a normal full english. 

My partners family is all from Yorkshire and I harbour no ill will towards them but it does seem a bit weird. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

All I wanted when my daughter was born was that she was healthy and born in Sheffield so there was no unnecessary travel  planned for the business end of pregnancy.  3 weeks before she was due my mum broke her leg so we went to visit her in hospital and my girlfriend went into labour.  She ended up being born in Preston hospital the same as me.  I'm always going to lie to her and tell her she was born in Sheffield but the birth certificate will always contradict this.  I have no idea why where she was born was so important to me but it was/is.

1 minute ago, SheffJeff said:

I have no idea why where she was born was so important to me

Because Yorkshire > Lancashire 

This is actually a really interesting discussion. Talking about how great it is to be from Yorkshire is normal for us Tykes. Now I’m realising the rest of the country doesn’t feel the same about where they are from. We are definitely the strange self obsessed ones. 

Had my weekly online meeting with one of my new PhD students this morning...normally I'd get to know them a bit better as my office is right beside the lab, but this unending working from home means that now, I generally just get to talk about their project with them and don't get much chance for chit chat. Anyway, I knew he was English, but didn't really know from where (he did his undergrad at Queens in Belfast, so his address on his CV was in Belfast). He was chatting to the other Phd students and postdocs in the lab and they informed him that I went to Glastonbury every year...He gleefully informed me this morning that he's from West Pennard!...right on the A361 and I've probably driven by his house on the way to the festival every time I go! (He too goes every year). Bloody small world...anyway, I don't know what that has to do with anything, but not that many other people I know would be interested! Had a great chat about the whole area and all the lovely places that surround the farm...Really need to get back there now!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

todays numbers were on time at 16:00 ... continuing to drop ...... 

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 16.15.53.png

Funny how it always drops on time when the figures are good, probs a coincidence, bu curious nonetheless. 

These numbers are good, still doesn't seem low enough to come out of lockdown but that ship has sailed. leas we're consistently below 20,000 cases. 

My thoughts are with the families of those affected, when do we think death rates will start coming down considering the lag?

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

Funny how it always drops on time when the figures are good, probs a coincidence, bu curious nonetheless. 

These numbers are good, still doesn't seem low enough to come out of lockdown but that ship has sailed. leas we're consistently below 20,000 cases. 

My thoughts are with the families of those affected, when do we think death rates will start coming down considering the lag?

well Tier 3 caused things to drop previously and thats Similar to todays new Tier 2 .... so hopefully numbers will continue to drop ... unless the open non essential shops , hairdressers etc change that ...... is it a 2 week lag after for hospital admissions and then 2 weeks more for deaths ... ? and infections are still very high so we won't drop right down again