When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

No. Long covid is horrible and we need to be doing more research into treatments for it, but it’s not something to be mothballing society over imo 

Years ago I was taken to A&E with my heart going crazy, hot and cold, aches and pains etc.. etc.. Bloods and other things returned crazy high white blood cells was out down to a 'Virus'. I really didn't feel back to myself for around 10 months. In fact for the first three months I was working split days at work as I literally couldn't stay awake for a full working day.

Viruses including the flu have been knocking people for 6 for a long long time - it would be interesting to see how long the effects of long Covid last and if they sufferers of long Covid are first wave cases - the only person I know who is still suffering following covid and is in a bad way is from wave 1 and has since been told she probably would have been in hospital with it if she had it as bad now - so did that play a part?

In February I had symptoms that were pretty much textbook Covid. At the time though, the doctor just asked me if I had been to any of the affected countries, which I had not been. I was given some antibiotics and sent on my way. I went back to the doctor when the antibiotics finished as the symptoms were still the same as when I first went. I was told there was nothing wrong with me (this was a different doc than the first, actually it was a nurse if I recall) and I was sent packing.

I have not felt the same since then. Now, I have no idea if this was indeed Covid I have. The symptoms matched but this was before all the testing started so I can't know for sure. However, I feel constantly lethargic, I've had a slight tickly cough since then and I constantly feel like I'm on the cusp of coming down with something. 

I've been putting the lethargy and not feeling great down to 2020.  I hate working from home, I'm missing all the things I can't do etc. and I presumed I was just feeling low and that was coming out in a physical form. As time goes on though, and I read more about Long Covid. I do wonder if this is what I have. 

13 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

In February I had symptoms that were pretty much textbook Covid. At the time though, the doctor just asked me if I had been to any of the affected countries, which I had not been. I was given some antibiotics and sent on my way. I went back to the doctor when the antibiotics finished as the symptoms were still the same as when I first went. I was told there was nothing wrong with me (this was a different doc than the first, actually it was a nurse if I recall) and I was sent packing.

I have not felt the same since then. Now, I have no idea if this was indeed Covid I have. The symptoms matched but this was before all the testing started so I can't know for sure. However, I feel constantly lethargic, I've had a slight tickly cough since then and I constantly feel like I'm on the cusp of coming down with something. 

I've been putting the lethargy and not feeling great down to 2020.  I hate working from home, I'm missing all the things I can't do etc. and I presumed I was just feeling low and that was coming out in a physical form. As time goes on though, and I read more about Long Covid. I do wonder if this is what I have. 

It could well be mate, I think there's a large FB group on Long Covid. It might be worth having a look as some other peoples experiences might be able to help you?

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yep, makes you wonder what else we could achieve if we had similar resolve with other issues, like climate change

Yeah, this is interesting. I wonder about it a fair bit. 

As I see it ‘we’ aren’t doing anything to help a covid vaccine. All 99.999% are doing is staying in the house a bit more. A successful vaccine requires the combined efforts of, what, several thousand well-funded, well coordinated people acting in a single direction. Dealing with climate change, however, requires uniquely sophisticated coordination at all levels and structures of society using all sorts of different approaches - from clean energy to ecological restoration to transport to manufacturing to agriculture. Nailing each piece of this puzzle on its own is arguably more complicated than the development of vaccine, never mind in chorus with all the other complexities. 

I think it is useful to compare a covid vaccine to the rapid eradication of CFCs, though. Because like a vaccine that was a single (more or less) cure. 

• Upvote 1

Fantastic news emerging the last few days so feeling a lot more optimistic about things :)

General question but perhaps @Toilet Duck could answer - now Pfizer have said theirs is an effective vaccine does it mean we will solely use theirs or should other trials (such as the Oxford vaccine) work as well could we perhaps use multiple vaccines to make it easier to vaccinate the whole population? 

Just now, Chapple12345 said:

Fantastic news emerging the last few days so feeling a lot more optimistic about things :)

General question but perhaps @Toilet Duck could answer - now Pfizer have said theirs is an effective vaccine does it mean we will solely use theirs or should other trials (such as the Oxford vaccine) work as well could we perhaps use multiple vaccines to make it easier to vaccinate the whole population? 

I'm guessing answer to this would be yes...some vaccines will be more effective than others, some won't need -80C storage...stuff like that. I think vaccines will continue to be worked on and improved as time goes on.

8 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Howdy, no, it's not a winner takes all scenario at all. All of them will continue to be tested, some will work better in different people (maybe not, maybe they are all great, who knows!). We also need a lot of them, so different companies making them will help with the stock we need. There's many manufacturers of the various vaccines we currently use, so this will be no different. Having multiple suppliers is also a good thing (if we look at it purely as a consumer). We are only getting emergency use authorisation at the moment. That's down to efficacy data based on a few cases (statistically significant data mind you, and having 90% efficacy actually makes the number of cases required even lower as the trials were designed to test a vaccine with a minimum of 50% effectiveness). The full approval will require the entire trial to finish (for all the vaccines) and then the process of long term monitoring begins. Some may have really rare side effects that wouldn't be picked up even in a big phase 3 trial and could get removed from use, others will work better for older people, and we don't know how long the protection will last for, so we will probably need repeated shots anyway. So, short answer is, they all keep going full steam ahead!

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

Howdy, no, it's not a winner takes all scenario at all. All of them will continue to be tested, some will work better in different people (maybe not, maybe they are all great, who knows!). We also need a lot of them, so different companies making them will help with the stock we need. There's many manufacturers of the various vaccines we currently use, so this will be no different. Having multiple suppliers is also a good thing (if we look at it purely as a consumer). We are only getting emergency use authorisation at the moment. That's down to efficacy data based on a few cases (statistically significant data mind you, and having 90% efficacy actually makes the number of cases required even lower as the trials were designed to test a vaccine with a minimum of 50% effectiveness). The full approval will require the entire trial to finish (for all the vaccines) and then the process of long term monitoring begins. Some may have really rare side effects that wouldn't be picked up even in a big phase 3 trial and could get removed from use, others will work better for older people, and we don't know how long the protection will last for, so we will probably need repeated shots anyway. So, short answer is, they all keep going full steam ahead!

Thank you for the answer, I thought this would be the case! I know it was described as a race to get the vaccine but doubted that they would turn away anything else that was proven effective