When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Unfortunately the new government “advice” that masks should be worn on public transport and in shops doesn’t seem to be working. Went to Waitrose yesterday and I was the only one wearing one.

I honestly cannot see why pretty much every country in Europe and Asia has made face coverings compulsory yet we are still one step behind as per usual. Look at all those other countries maintaining low transmission rates yet ours are back on the rise again...

You’re right. I was in the supermarket yesterday (mask on of course), and at a rough estimate I would think about 25% of the others there had masks on. Guidance here is that it is not mandatory as some people might not be able to wear them for various reasons (to be honest, the % of people who have a valid reason for not wearing them should not have that great an impact on their utility as a method of source control). The guidance on mask wearing actually only begins tomorrow as phase 1 of reopening begins, though why tomorrow is objectively different to yesterday escapes me. The bus and rail unions here are going to take matters into their own hands and enforce wearing masks whether the government insists on it or not. Won’t be allowed on the bus/train without one. Supermarkets/shops can do this too. If they lose custom because people feel It’s unsafe, watch policies change pretty quickly!

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Scientists in Hong Kong have established that face masks do reduce transmission of coronavirus (at least among hamsters). This just in from AFP:

Tests on hamsters reveal the widespread use of facemasks reduces transmission of the deadly coronavirus, a team of leading experts in Hong Kong said Sunday.

The research by the University of Hong Kong is some of the first to specifically investigate whether masks can stop symptomatic and asymptomatic COVID-19 carriers from infecting others.

Led by Professor Yuen Kwok-yung, one of the world’s top coronavirus experts, the team placed hamsters that were artificially infected with the disease next to healthy animals.

Surgical masks were placed between the two cages with air flow travelling from the infected animals to the healthy ones.

The researchers found non-contact transmission of the virus could be reduced by more than 60 percent when the masks were used.

Two thirds of the healthy hamsters were infected within a week if no masks were applied.

The infection rate plunged to just over 15 percent when surgical masks were put on the cage of the infected animals and by about 35 percent when placed on the cage with the healthy hamsters.

Those that did become infected were also found to have less of the virus within their bodies than those infected without a mask.

“It’s very clear that the effect of masking the infected, especially when they are asymptomatic - or symptomatic - it’s much more important than anything else,” Yuen told reporters.

Do we know if they have considered the impact of other variables in their study? It might be that running really really fast on a wheel reduces infection rates.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

It’s hard not to at the moment as their hot takes are all over social media. I feel like it’s a route cause of all of this unrest at the moment.

I’ve found myself watching excerpts from Fox everyday...it’s like a grim fascination. Also catch up with NBC nightly news, Seth Meyers and Steven Colbert. 

i find it less challenging than watching UK news as there is a level of detachment. I would hate to live in America right now. 

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

You’re right. I was in the supermarket yesterday (mask on of course), and at a rough estimate I would think about 25% of the others there had masks on. Guidance here is that it is not mandatory as some people might not be able to wear them for various reasons (to be honest, the % of people who have a valid reason for not wearing them should not have that great an impact on their utility as a method of source control). The guidance on mask wearing actually only begins tomorrow as phase 1 of reopening begins, though why tomorrow is objectively different to yesterday escapes me. The bus and rail unions here are going to take matters into their own hands and enforce wearing masks whether the government insists on it or not. Won’t be allowed on the bus/train without one. Supermarkets/shops can do this too. If they lose custom because people feel It’s unsafe, watch policies change pretty quickly!

I really hope they are made compulsory soon. Was just at Tesco extra with a full car park and only saw two others wearing a mask. Also big family groups all coming to shop together I found very disconcerting.

Waitrose is far better organised, only one shopper per household group and staff with screens and face shields on at the checkouts.

Are you in the UK?

Edited by FestivalJamie

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve just seen my Dad properly for the first time in 8 weeks, went for a 10 min walk along the seafront, at a suitable distance. I was pretty nervous, but it was good to see him. 

I was the same with my parents individually yesterday .. it’s a really odd feeling .. 

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

The Americans are one step ahead on this,

Mask-975c-e1588576933470.jpg?quality=90&

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/04/woman-cuts-hole-face-mask-easier-breathe-12650146/

Edited by gizmoman
add link

I went to ASDA here in Doncaster yesterday and I was one of few people wearing a mask. There were family groups being let in too (mostly adults with 2/3 children) and lots of people weren’t paying much attention to social distancing once inside. I found myself waiting at the end of aisles until the number went down to 2 people on each aisle so that I could safely grab what I wanted and move on. 

I’ve also noticed over the last few weeks that it seems to be more senior members of the public who are ignoring the arrows in the supermarket and walking down the aisles whichever way they like. It is quite maddening. 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I was the same with my parents individually yesterday .. it’s a really odd feeling .. 

It really is, a combination of guilt of possibly passing something to my Dad, nerves about catching it myself and relief of seeing him again.

Just now, Andre91 said:

I went to ASDA here in Doncaster yesterday and I was one of few people wearing a mask. There were family groups being let in too (mostly adults with 2/3 children) and lots of people weren’t paying much attention to social distancing once inside. I found myself waiting at the end of aisles until the number went down to 2 people on each aisle so that I could safely grab what I wanted and move on. 

I’ve also noticed over the last few weeks that it seems to be more senior members of the public who are ignoring the arrows in the supermarket and walking down the aisles whichever way they like. It is quite maddening. 

I’ve had that feedback from colleagues I work with .. I also know that greater numbers are being allowed in than initially ... I’m back to work in 3 weeks and frankly it scares me .. I’ve no idea why there seem to be very few people allocated to making sure the directional flow happens ... if you aren’t prepared to do it ... you F off somewhere else !! 

Throwing a lot at the oxford vaccine

Sharma also confirmed that Oxford University has confirmed a global licensing agreement with AstraZeneca, which will make 30 million vaccine doses available to the UK by September if the trials are successful, as part of an agreement for 100 million doses in total.

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve had that feedback from colleagues I work with .. I also know that greater numbers are being allowed in than initially ... I’m back to work in 3 weeks and frankly it scares me .. I’ve no idea why there seem to be very few people allocated to making sure the directional flow happens ... if you aren’t prepared to do it ... you F off somewhere else !! 

I’ve said for weeks that supermarkets need far more staff milling about to ensure that aisles aren’t becoming overcrowded. It’s really troubling how many people don’t seem to care and just cram down them. 

I’m a secondary school teacher and I am really worried about going back too soon, got everyone involved’s sake. I shall not be deploying my ‘hero’ capabilities until the union advises me to do so. I think any school reopening before September (at the earliest) is incredibly risky. Nay, flat out dangerous and irresponsible. 

Edited by Andre91

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Unfortunately the new government “advice” that masks should be worn on public transport and in shops doesn’t seem to be working. Went to Waitrose yesterday and I was the only one wearing one.

I honestly cannot see why pretty much every country in Europe and Asia has made face coverings compulsory yet we are still one step behind as per usual. Look at all those other countries maintaining low transmission rates yet ours are back on the rise again...

Supply is probably the reason they aren’t compulsory.

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’ve said for weeks that supermarkets need far more staff milling about to ensure that aisles aren’t becoming overcrowded. It’s really troubling how many people don’t seem to care and just cram down them. 

I’m a secondary school teacher and I am really worried about going back too soon, got everyone involved’s sake. I shall not be deploying my ‘hero’ capabilities until the union advises me to do so. I think any school reopening before September (at the earliest) is incredibly risky. Nay, flat out dangerous and irresponsible. 

So your answer to stop there being so many people in each isle is more people in each isle?

You expect there to be lots staff putting their lives at risk In The supermarkets but you are far too special as a teacher to go back to work? Shocker, teacher not wanting to work. Don’t strain yourself.

Edited by Smeble
  • Downvote 15

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’m a secondary school teacher and I am really worried about going back too soon, got everyone involved’s sake. I shall not be deploying my ‘hero’ capabilities until the union advises me to do so. I think any school reopening before September (at the earliest) is incredibly risky. 

It’s all money related unfortunately .. like most places they are operating on shoestring budgets ... I’ve heard that wage over spends have been started to be discussed again of late .. and some of the temps have now gone ... I’m hoping I can stay out the back away from customers but I’d very much like my colleagues to be safe too ... as I’m sure you would with all the kids you teach ... why people seem to be questioning anyone with worries is just bonkers ... 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Throwing a lot at the oxford vaccine

Sharma also confirmed that Oxford University has confirmed a global licensing agreement with AstraZeneca, which will make 30 million vaccine doses available to the UK by September if the trials are successful, as part of an agreement for 100 million doses in total.

Is this a good sign of the trials so far or are they putting their fingers in the air?

25 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It really is, a combination of guilt of possibly passing something to my Dad, nerves about catching it myself and relief of seeing him again.

Have you been out and about for walks etc before this?  If so, the risk was no higher than any other time you've passed someone while socially distancing.   And will be considerably lower than when in the supermarket, etc.

55 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I really hope they are made compulsory soon. Was just at Tesco extra with a full car park and only saw two others wearing a mask. Also big family groups all coming to shop together I found very disconcerting.

Waitrose is far better organised, only one shopper per household group and staff with screens and face shields on at the checkouts.

Are you in the UK?

No, I’m in Ireland. To be honest, cases in the community are non-existent here now, but it’s no reason to be complacent.

13 minutes ago, Smeble said:

So your answer to stop there being so many people in each isle is more people in each isle?

You expect there to be lots staff putting their lives at risk In The supermarkets but you are far too special as a teacher to go back to work? Shocker, teacher not wanting to work. Don’t strain yourself.

Do you spend your whole life without consideration for other people ? Teachers not only have to make judgements based on themselves and families it’s also the welfare of the children they teach ... maybe you haven’t lived with a teacher but they work bloody hard in the evenings and holidays too ... oh and just to add when did putting crowd control in add to overcrowding issues ? 

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Have you been out and about for walks etc before this?  If so, the risk was no higher than any other time you've passed someone while socially distancing.   And will be considerably lower than when in the supermarket, etc.

I have been out for walks every day, I know it's silly but I was still worried walking with someone would be a higher risk.