When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

On this note. I rather naively tried to poke a wild monkey at a temple once (very young and very stupid, me - not the monkey). These animals mean business! I'd definitely not recommend trying this! 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

that monkey has been eating wotsits.

Presumably of the person that tried to swab it.

Edited by semmtexx
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Had a quick scan too. As you say repeated immunisation may improve/plus possibly attenuation of response, so not all bad. 

My comment wasn't about this though. The sampling method involved rectal swabs. Imagine trying to rectally swab a creature with teeth this big! Eak!

image.jpeg.912eefbec146ba1b169032469ba5d270.jpeg

Aw look at his little nose tho :girlinlove:

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

So, I’ve had a quick read through both the paper and the opinion piece. Will go through it in more depth later (looking after the little one at the mo!)...

the key finding is that all unvaccinated animals developed pneumonia whereas none of the vaccinated animals did. Viral loads in the challenge were pretty high, maybe a good bit higher than you might be exposed to environmentally. But, bottom line, not a magic bullet, but one that converts a potentially fatal disease to a mildly uncomfortable one. Ironically, vaccination may make COVID “like a bad flu”. Given the option of this at the outset, I’d suspect uptake would have been fairly high. Given it as an option to exit restrictions, I’d expect that the be equally true.

the opinion piece suggests that more robust neutralising antibody responses are seen with live attenuated/subunit vaccines. The oxford one is a new type. Repeated vaccination may boost this (and has been included in a subset of trial volunteers for this reason). The GSK/Sanofi vaccine is the more traditional type, the Oxford one might get us over the hump, with a longer term solution coming down the line from GSK/Sanofi (or indeed the Chinese vaccine). 

all in all, not doom and gloom, justifies pushing ahead with the trial and if I was given the option of making sure I didn’t develop pneumonia should I be infected, but instead experienced a fairly standard coronavirus infection, then so long as safety was assured, it would be attractive.

Thank you. If the timeline is kept to, I think that’ll be a fantastic outcome. 

31 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

On this note. I rather naively tried to poke a wild monkey at a temple once (very young and very stupid, me - not the monkey). These animals mean business! I'd definitely not recommend trying this! 

I found the monkeys in Bali terrifying!

53 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Scary stuff indeed. That has reminded me I’ve got the Brexit doc on the list to watch, so I’ll bring that forward.

I was having a discussion on another forum about advertising, specifically the naming of sports stadiums. Many people were adamant they can’t be sold to, and something like that would never make them buy a specific product. Most people have no idea about what is going on around them and pretty much everything they read and consume is aimed to influence them and make them think a certain way.

Would recommend. Had just finished a big old book about Brexit and I thought it did a decent job of covering all the important bits into one film.

47 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

You might want to rephrase that ... poke ? !! :) And doing it at a temple of all places !! 

Edited by crazyfool1

Just been reading up about holidays. UK holidays plan to reopen for the summer.

Also said that Greece is going to try and capitalise on its success with the virus by getting more holidays in. Interesting for me as we have Mykonos booked in October. Be surprised if it happens though!

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just been reading up about holidays. UK holidays plan to reopen for the summer.

Also said that Greece is going to try and capitalise on its success with the virus by getting more holidays in. Interesting for me as we have Mykonos booked in October. Be surprised if it happens though!

I'm rather optimistically hoping I might make it to a Greek island in October.... I heard that Italy expects to open up to international tourists by September. 

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

So, I’ve had a quick read through both the paper and the opinion piece. Will go through it in more depth later (looking after the little one at the mo!)...

the key finding is that all unvaccinated animals developed pneumonia whereas none of the vaccinated animals did. Viral loads in the challenge were pretty high, maybe a good bit higher than you might be exposed to environmentally. But, bottom line, not a magic bullet, but one that converts a potentially fatal disease to a mildly uncomfortable one. Ironically, vaccination may make COVID “like a bad flu”. Given the option of this at the outset, I’d suspect uptake would have been fairly high. Given it as an option to exit restrictions, I’d expect that the be equally true.

the opinion piece suggests that more robust neutralising antibody responses are seen with live attenuated/subunit vaccines. The oxford one is a new type. Repeated vaccination may boost this (and has been included in a subset of trial volunteers for this reason). The GSK/Sanofi vaccine is the more traditional type, the Oxford one might get us over the hump, with a longer term solution coming down the line from GSK/Sanofi (or indeed the Chinese vaccine). 

all in all, not doom and gloom, justifies pushing ahead with the trial and if I was given the option of making sure I didn’t develop pneumonia should I be infected, but instead experienced a fairly standard coronavirus infection, then so long as safety was assured, it would be attractive.

Does it look like it will reduce infectivity at all, or just the severity of the disease?

43 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Does it look like it will reduce infectivity at all, or just the severity of the disease?

Viral load was significantly lower in the vaccinated animals, so it should have some impact on infectivity. I see two benefits, protection from severe disease for high risk groups, and lower viral load in other vaccinated individuals that can contribute to lower transmission rates...I haven’t been through it with a fine tooth comb yet, but there are still reasons to be cheerful! 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Viral load was significantly lower in the vaccinated animals, so it should have some impact on infectivity. I see two benefits, protection from severe disease for high risk groups, and lower viral load in other vaccinated individuals that can contribute to lower transmission rates...I haven’t been through it with a fine tooth comb yet, but there are still reasons to be cheerful! 

You'd expect that to also lead to a vaccinated person being infectious for less time, as well as being less infectious whilst they can transmit the virus?

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

I'm rather optimistically hoping I might make it to a Greek island in October.... I heard that Italy expects to open up to international tourists by September. 

Flights from Gatwick to Mykonos and Kefalonia were v cheap (about £100 ret) even before this all kicked off FYI. I can personally recommend Kefalonia - stunning.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I know with the flu jab they write to the most vulnerable to encourage them to have it, both my parents do. I think I remember reading the uptake amongst who they write to is 75%.

At the last two companies over worked at (both maybe around 150 staff) they both offered the annual flu jab, you could pre book and a nurse would come in for a day and administer them. I’d never given it much thought but it must be something that’s pretty prevalent around the country. I was already surprised at the take up, with quite a few younger people having it. I personally never bothered and assumed they were having it just because it was there. So you’d assume a corona one would have a pretty big uptake.

I'd definitely take it and I'm in my 30s. Getting it bad (somewhere between asymptomatic and hospital stay) sounds horrible. For the minor inconvenience of getting an injection it would be worth it to not have potential for weeks of shivering and gasping for air. 

I only don't get the flu one because it isn't as infectious - this one it sounds pretty easy to catch 

2 hours ago, Homer said:

I found the monkeys in Bali terrifying!

I watched one take a woman's canvas bag off her in Ubud outside the monkey forest.  He ran over and tried to take it, but she kept hold of it. He then bared his teeth to make it very clear that wouldn't work, and went at it again. She sensibly let it go. 

They absolutely run that area of the town. Loads of stories of them biting people and nicking things

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

I'd definitely take it and I'm in my 30s. Getting it bad (somewhere between asymptomatic and hospital stay) sounds horrible. For the minor inconvenience of getting an injection it would be worth it to not have potential for weeks of shivering and gasping for air. 

I only don't get the flu one because it isn't as infectious - this one it sounds pretty easy to catch 

I watched one take a woman's canvas bag off her in Ubud outside the monkey forest.  He ran over and tried to take it, but she kept hold of it. He then bared his teeth to make it very clear that wouldn't work, and went at it again. She sensibly let it go. 

They absolutely run that area of the town. Loads of stories of them biting people and nicking things

Yeah, I was in Ubud too. I hadn't even got into the entrance when one came at me hissing and baring its teeth, so I squirted water at it to keep it away and the security had a go at me for 'scaring the monkeys'!

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yes I agree, I never bothered with the flu one as I just considering it unnecessary, obviously Flu is shit but I’m happy to take my chances with it and I probably last had it over 10 years ago. But I’m also in my late thirties and if they were offering a Covid one at work or something then I’d definitely do it.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

@Toilet Duck you do have a ticket for the next Glastonbury don't you?  If so, expect a free bar at the next meet, it's amazing having such expert knowledge on hand.

I do indeed! (Though just got a save the date for a family wedding...Friday, June 25th 2021). I’ve already said I’m not going, I’ll be in a Somerset field with a cider in my hand!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

@Toilet Duck you do have a ticket for the next Glastonbury don't you?  If so, expect a free bar at the next meet, it's amazing having such expert knowledge on hand.

He does I believe ... great shout though on the free bar :) ... a toilet duck hat should be easy enough to create so we can identify the source of the knowledge .. not the outbreak :)