Extreme Mud or Extreme Heat. Which is worst?

Starscreenbass

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

No, it just makes people ill.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/scorching-glastonbury-weather-sees-dozens-17273301

"The South Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust told Mirror Online: "SWASFT paramedic teams have treated 79 patients in the past two days at Glastonbury -  mostly a mixture of medical and heat related cases."

79 out of 200,000 people.  I'll take those stats. 

12 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

No, it just makes people ill.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/scorching-glastonbury-weather-sees-dozens-17273301

"The South Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust told Mirror Online: "SWASFT paramedic teams have treated 79 patients in the past two days at Glastonbury -  mostly a mixture of medical and heat related cases."

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That 79 is the total too... only some of them are heat related.

Also, the sun didn't make them ill - they became ill by not keeping hydrated with water, drinking in the sun, not using adequate sun block, etc.

I can't believe people would actually prefer mud! The mud in 16 made it so hard to get anywhere night and day meaning everyone ended up in all the same places. One wrong step could mean a twisted ankle or a face plant.

I get during a few peak hours the sun can become a bit relentless but with sun cream, hydration (water not just cider) and a hat the sun isn't going to cause you too many issues. It also means the mornings, evenings and the night times are perfect! 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Also, the sun didn't make them ill - they became ill by not keeping hydrated with water, drinking in the sun, not using adequate sun block, etc.

The mud only is an issue if you don't take the right footwear.

Plus, "Go to a festival and don't drink or do anything else cos of the heat" vs having a full festival experience. So again, I'm compromised by the heat. Not the mud.

I have never at any point felt too cold at the festival. If you are cold. Put a jumper on. Take some more layers. If you are too hot, there is nowhere to go. Literally everywhere is mingingly hot.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Plus, "Go to a festival and don't drink or do anything else cos of the heat" vs having a full festival experience. So again, I'm compromised by the heat. Not the mud.

I have never at any point felt too cold at the festival. If you are cold. Put a jumper on. Take some more layers. If you are too hot, there is nowhere to go. Literally everywhere is mingingly hot.

Well it's out of our control anyway... we just have to deal with what we get!

I know that in muddy years FMS deal with lots of sprains, breaks and cuts due to slipping so it's not just the sun that ruins it for people.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I can't believe people would actually prefer mud! The mud in 16 made it so hard to get anywhere night and day meaning everyone ended up in all the same places. One wrong step could mean a twisted ankle or a face plant.

But we already established quite a few posts up that face plants are objectively hilarious. 

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Both are a 'mare clearly. One makes being on the farm more less pleasant, one makes it less safe. Try working in that heat last year. Fuck no.

I had to carry a double bass from T&C up to the Bimble Inn on Friday afternoon to play a set with my mates' band that I was helping out for the festival, that was a nightmare in the heat - trying to get past all the people wandering around didn't help either..

56 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And nearly all of those would have been able to recover quickly, and enjoy the rest of the festival.

Unlike the poor sods in 2007 and 2016 who left in an ambulance with broken ankles etc*.

* I would link to a source for this, but unfortunately the one I can find right now is the Daily Mail and I'm not prepared to post that.

Edited by incident

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Both are a 'mare clearly. One makes being on the farm more less pleasant, one makes it less safe. Try working in that heat last year. Fuck no.

I did! I let my colleagues sit in the shade while I went out in the queue with the scanner and caught some rays for a few hours while chatting to all the smiley happy people!

I love the sun.

I am going to have skin like an old leather handbag soon though! :-)

Edited by stuie

5 minutes ago, incident said:

And nearly all of those would have been able to recover quickly, and enjoy the rest of the festival.

Unlike the poor sods in 2007 and 2016 who left in an ambulance with broken ankles etc*.

* I would link to a source for this, but unfortunately the one I can find right now is the Daily Mail and I'm not prepared to post that.

You can use my testimony as a source. My friend snapped his ankle slipping down a muddy hill. He was recovering from Glandular fever as well and had done the entire festival sober, poor guy.

Heat heat heat all day long. Don’t get me wrong, this years heat was brutal at times, but I’d have it every single time over 2016. The mud is a 24 hour challenge, it takes so much effort getting around, finding somewhere to sit when you’re tired is a constant challenge. Everything takes so much longer and takes so much more effort.

With the heat you have an unpleasant few hours with the benefit of being able to move around freely and sit wherever you want if need be, when the sun starts to go down you’ve them got all the benefits and none of the negatives.

Heat is maybe more acute for lot less time, extreme mud is just a constant annoyance that effects almost everything you want to do.

I suffer from heat stroke/heat exhaustion quite easily so a hot Glastonbury doesn't work well for me. On the Wednesday in 2017 a couple of hours up in cv east drinking cider waiting for the queue to get into the festival to die down followed by queueing and walking in the sun didn't bode well for me. Had to find a shady spot for a while in the Greenfieldsto cool off. It didn't work so well. I'm too polite just to chunder anywhere so when it was time I made my way to the longdrops, I don't recommend puking into one of those no matter how rough you feel! After that I spent a few hours asleep on the floor of the Avalon tent that they had opened to give people some shade. That experience was no fun at all, i'll take mud anyday.

You can prepare for the heat as well. It's also a hell of a lot lighter than carry wet gear. This whole, you can only prepare for mud. Carrying prep for rain and mud is heavier and worse cos you can't sit down or put your bag down for a rest. 

I'm ginger, pale skinned, get sun stroke and love the warm. 

What does make me suffer is the drudging through sticky mud (glud) or skating like Bambi on stilts in the slippy stuff. And all the other kinds. 

Yeah it's a laugh seeing those people stuck but was a survey done on their enjoyment. ?

Take lots of water, wear the right clothes (loose cotton for all) make sure you have sun block and a fan. 

UV umbrella for the win.

I’d take the heat over the mud right now but I probably wouldn’t about 3 years ago.

The reason for that is because I’ve lost a lot of weight, being overweight and having to navigate the farm is hard work at the best of times never mind in 32°C. 

Before losing weight I hated the heat, it made me tired, sweaty, sore, rashy, grumpy. Just overall pissed off. You could see people enjoying the sun, having a good time and I just felt uncomfortable in it. It made me unhappy. Now that I have lost weight I’ve got a completely different outlook on it, we went on holiday to Florida last year and the 34°C+ heat really didn’t phase me too much, I enjoyed it, I enjoyed not having that extra baggage around my body and dragging it around whilst I was out for the day, I wasn’t sweating as much, I felt so happy. 

Now mud on the other hand, mud just makes everything harder, it stops you from doing things that you normally could do, it can determine where you go, you can’t sit on the grass. It can make your tent an absolute shit hole, and it makes travel times 5-10 times longer. 

Therefore Heat > Sun 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

For you maybe- for anyone with any kind of mobility issues mud is a nightmare, so serious that it can completely make or ruin their festival.

The entire running of site becomes near impossible beyond a certain level of mud- vehicles get stuck and everything is churned into quagmire. It also takes the site far longer to recover and the cleanup is horrendous. 

13 hours ago, H.M.V said:

You can prepare for the heat as well. It's also a hell of a lot lighter than carry wet gear. This whole, you can only prepare for mud. Carrying prep for rain and mud is heavier and worse cos you can't sit down or put your bag down for a rest. 

I'm ginger, pale skinned, get sun stroke and love the warm. 

What does make me suffer is the drudging through sticky mud (glud) or skating like Bambi on stilts in the slippy stuff. And all the other kinds. 

Yeah it's a laugh seeing those people stuck but was a survey done on their enjoyment. ?

Take lots of water, wear the right clothes (loose cotton for all) make sure you have sun block and a fan. 

UV umbrella for the win.

THIS! Thank you, HMV! 

I am also very ginger, and would take heat over mud any time. 

NFR NFC