Pre erected camping

guypjfreak

12 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

It's weird, I can afford worth view... but fuck climbing up that hill after 10 ciders and a few joints. It's not really about money. 

I have much more of an issue with the £1000+ ticket and offsite camping packages (flyglastonbury anyone?!?) than those who want to pay a significantly smaller amount to inconvenience themselves (searched everyday, no thanks!!)

12 minutes ago, Simsy said:

How much crossover is there in the Venn diagram of people who would only go to Glasto if they had easy access to showers and flushing loos, and people who would shit in a crowd?

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

That's because you want it to be that way. I'm not saying punter X in WV is individually worse than the same on Pennards. You certainly wish that to be the case, as would everyone who. You're also misusing the strawman term as do 95% of people who use it. 

My argument was that the provision and drive to provide services like WV is part of a wider problem that means that Glastonbury is changing for the worse in terms of providing a more bucketlist experience to show off about whilst getting fucked up in many cases, rather than engaging with what the festival is about. 

As @Zoo Music Girl stated, yep I don't have to keep going and at one point in the future I maybe won't, but there is a point in raising things not being as good as they used to be otherwise it's an inexorable slide into mediocrity. At the moment, there is still enough there for me. In the last two festivals in particular I've seen fights, women shitting in crowds and people pissing on the outside of the urinals. I never used to see this kind of shit (on this scale) and I've been going for twenty years. You think it isn't changing for the worst? You think it's not worth highlighting? That sounds silly to me. I'll complain BECAUSE I care.

How long did you have to spend watching these ladies doing their business for you to work out they were taking a dump rather than merely taking a piss?

Edited by Johnnyseven

I’ve said it before, the vast mosaic of tents of all colours, sizes and shapes that haphazardly carpet the valley during festival week is a beautiful sight to behold. I would hate to see it replaced by row upon row of regimented tents like some sort of enormous scout jamboree. 

But we’ve reached the age when we don’t have many glastos left in us so WV gave less long queues to get in and easy access to the car. We have done it twice recently. It was ok but we did miss the vibe of being on site 24 hours a day and getting to know our neighbours, walking amongst the myriad of tents chatting to folk. WV just isn’t like that but it does offer other benefits. So by all means have pre erected tents on the periphery of the site but not down in the site itself. 

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Come in Fred, you know it's worse now. Way worse.

The only thing that appears to have gotten worse over the years is the size of that chip on your shoulder.

Perhaps you’ve reached that point where it’s no fun for you any more and you give it up? (Here’s hoping)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

The only thing that appears to have gotten worse over the years is the size of that chip on your shoulder.

Perhaps you’ve reached that point where it’s no fun for you any more and you give it up? (Here’s hoping)

Not at all my love ?

52 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

How long did you have to spend watching these ladies doing their business for you to work out they were taking a dump rather than merely taking a piss?

They were noisily called out on it by those a few feet nearer. I didn't go over to inspect the damage, but there wasn't anyone filling that space on the grass for Liam that's for sure ?

Ok....I'm going to (carefully) shout one out for @Superscally here.  I think the rationale behind the discussion is a valid one eg. Is the demographic of the Festival changing to the overall detriment of the Event?

As a discussion point, it's a good one.....delivered as an opinion however it simply courts controversy and is asking for the counter-argument.  Pretty sure (somewhat retrospectively) the intent was the former.....but clumsily delivered.

Can we all play nice now?

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Ok....I'm going to (carefully) shout one out for @Superscally here.  I think the rationale behind the discussion is a valid one eg. Is the demographic of the Festival changing to the overall detriment of the Event?

As a discussion point, it's a good one.....delivered as an opinion however it simply courts controversy and is asking for the counter-argument.  Pretty sure (somewhat retrospectively) the intent was the former.....but clumsily delivered.

Can we all play nice now?

I agree I could have been less WV heavy handed (apologies again), but the interpretation was as clumsy, if not more so! I'm happy to play nice, I always do - I can handle a *good* counter. If anyone thinks I'm not playing nice, first of all, apologies for giving that impression and not posting a smiley if I was being near the knuckle. Rest assured I wouldn't post negative individual attacks (unless someone has deliberately done the same to me and crosses the line of being a dick) on a forum. 

Cheers dude. 

7 hours ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

ok, admittedly i did not actually really read the OP, and just took the opportunity to jump in and have a moan ? 

does it change the demographic?

fuck knows.

the festival has changed so much, apart from the shape of the main stage pretty much everything has changed. 

for better? for worse? 

who knows, and who cares, and aside from ME no-one really has any right to make any such judgement.

and i am certainly not going to judge someone for their choice of where to stay.

The festival sold out before they announced these options. Didn't change the demographic for this year...

4 hours ago, Havors said:

Saying that though.... when there is a group of you and you split the cost its still worth it. 5 nights for 2 people in a 2 man tents is approx £160 per person. Thats cheaper than hotels. You get good parking, toilets and showers included. Its value for money.... well at least it HAS been in the passed if they continue to increase the prices as they have it will soon be £500 for a basic 2 man scout which will just be taking the piss out of us. 

I don't think it's value for money at all. Apart from hostel style hotels, you're at least getting your own toilet and shower within a few feet of your actual bed, not queuing outdoors for 30 minutes to be the 100th person in there that morning. 

I get why people use them and think they must be great for people travelling from abroad but it's a hell of a lot to park closer to your tent.

I read the thread title ' Pre erected camping' and a strange thing did happen. I travelled from the view point of it being similar to the following perspective  (and I quote a royal here, so it must be true) 'What is proposed is like a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much loved and elegant friend."  It's also a friend I may never see again in person. However,  I'd hate it to go further in that direction, as that way lies Costa Coffee. We need to go back to it's roots, I feel. I know it'll never be the same again as my memories of it, but somebody has got to cry out 'Stop. Enoughs, enough', and I think that time might be now. However, that angle is probably the result of a possibly over active urge to take my nostalgic thoughts to the very bending edge of reason. And now I'm having doubts about my own view point, because I now realise that it's not realistic for it to retain my idea of charm, so that future generations could see as I have been blessed to see. I guess it is what you make of it, at any point in time, and that as long as there's a good harmonious vibe to it, then it'll still be showing us the way forward. 

So, as I was mulling all this over, when I started to go off on a tangent with the facts. I ended up in the predicament of the thread title now being defined as  somebody actually wandering about in life not only with a permanent semi, but also also acting high camp at the same time. I'll confess, I did dally with the thought of becoming that person myself. I mean, why wouldn't you give it more of a thought? It would be a wonderful departure from the norm. Quite a spectacular tangent to go off on, would be a delight,. I'm sure of it. 

For anyone complaining that wv is too expensive and such, Coachella says “hold my beer” very loudly. 

It’s $100k usd for this, but ill take the private chef, golf carts and private driver! 

https://www.valleymusictravel.com/events/coachella/platinum-estates/

and when they ask to contact for pricing, you know its too much. 

https://www.valleymusictravel.com/events/coachella/safari-campgrounds/

Look, I understand that these things are not for everyone, and that glasto vets scoff at some of the changes, but if they know this sells, theyll do it. And its not as if its right smack in it all. They didnt carve out a section of fields right in the middle of the festival and make it specifically for glamping now did they. Would you want a giant patch of scout, yurts and bell tents right next to the Pyramid?  And this place is so massive that I dont know how this is infringing on anyones experience apart from the seemingly horrible 1% thats paying for pre erected camping, whom you will not even run into the whole weekend? 

Im in a situation where I have to purchase WV tomorrow. ( yes, i missed on tangerine fields and other options because when I woke up after getting tickets it was all sold out )  Its my gf’s first and maybe only Glasto, so coming from the states It just makes things easier about not having to race to find a good spot, plus having the camping gear, despite knowing I could buy it on site. Also, she wants some sense of security and better access to the loo and showers. So Im willing to compromise on it  and make the trade off with that damn hill.  And its not like Im a stranger to camping having gone to Coachella for over 15 years and camped for half that time. So I wouldve been perfectly fine being with the masses and such again this year, but thats how it goes when you have a romantic partner.

If the increase in proceeds go towards putting on the awesome spectacle that is the Glastonbury Festival and making it better year on year then why is anyone complaining? It's not like the cash is lining the pockets of fat cat shareholders. I went back in the 90's and it was great, it's equally great now, it's just different and has moved with the times to offer what people nowadays would like. Elements of the old Glastonbury are still present, it's not all changed.

As for @Superscally's post, I don't think it's anything to do with WV but there are certainly more people with an entitled disposition at festivals these days.

I think it's more to do with festivals becoming a mainstream activity in recent years, I used to go to them expecting the facilities to be shit. It's not a bad thing that they are now so much better but people used to be more accepting of situations if they weren't quite perfect.

Has the general demographic changed? Definitely. Is it worse? Maybe. 

What I do know is that Superscally is way up my list of people I'd have a pint with at the festival, as long as he doesn't watch me shit.

27 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

As for @Superscally's post, I don't think it's anything to do with WV but there are certainly more people with an entitled disposition at festivals these days.

I think it's more to do with festivals becoming a mainstream activity in recent years, I used to go to them expecting the facilities to be shit. It's not a bad thing that they are now so much better but people used to be more accepting of situations if they weren't quite perfect.

Has the general demographic changed? Definitely. Is it worse? Maybe. 

What I do know is that Superscally is way up my list of people I'd have a pint with at the festival, as long as he doesn't watch me shit.

I'm buying. What about a piss? 

10 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

I can see myself going for plusher camping options as I get older I guess - I'm 31 now and still plan on slumming it with the masses this year and for the foreseeable future. as long as it doesn't slowly grow each year, let them do their thing, init?

31.. Lol I've got 20 years on you old son lol.. 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

For anyone complaining that wv is too expensive and such, Coachella says “hold my beer” very loudly. 

It’s $100k usd for this, but ill take the private chef, golf carts and private driver! 

https://www.valleymusictravel.com/events/coachella/platinum-estates/

and when they ask to contact for pricing, you know its too much. 

https://www.valleymusictravel.com/events/coachella/safari-campgrounds/

Look, I understand that these things are not for everyone, and that glasto vets scoff at some of the changes, but if they know this sells, theyll do it. And its not as if its right smack in it all. They didnt carve out a section of fields right in the middle of the festival and make it specifically for glamping now did they. Would you want a giant patch of scout, yurts and bell tents right next to the Pyramid?  And this place is so massive that I dont know how this is infringing on anyones experience apart from the seemingly horrible 1% thats paying for pre erected camping, whom you will not even run into the whole weekend? 

Im in a situation where I have to purchase WV tomorrow. ( yes, i missed on tangerine fields and other options because when I woke up after getting tickets it was all sold out )  Its my gf’s first and maybe only Glasto, so coming from the states It just makes things easier about not having to race to find a good spot, plus having the camping gear, despite knowing I could buy it on site. Also, she wants some sense of security and better access to the loo and showers. So Im willing to compromise on it  and make the trade off with that damn hill.  And its not like Im a stranger to camping having gone to Coachella for over 15 years and camped for half that time. So I wouldve been perfectly fine being with the masses and such again this year, but thats how it goes when you have a romantic partner.

You try telling that to the people that usually use the campervan West site.... Now they only have the east side with the hill of death to do every day and bath and west where you have to get the shuttle.. But hey they only got £125 for camper vans now there getting double that for a tent... 

11 hours ago, mttJ said:

Would also like to try it at some point if it wasn't such a ridiculous price. Almost tempted to do an Airbnb for Reading next year and that'd still work out miles cheaper. 

Stay on my sofa for a tenner if you want, no breakfast included but the spoons is en route to the festival from mine

Tbf everyone I have met that is staying in WV has been lovely. 

Have I considered WV/stichlich? Yes. Coming over from Canada it would definitely be an easier option. Going solo this year it would be nice not to lug a tent. 

Will I? No. Its fucking expensive for a very small amount of increased comfort, which really, with the increased walking distances, you lose throughout the festival arguably. 

Will I in the future? Probably. 

Will this change my behaviour in any way throughout the festival? Obviously. I've been wanting to take a shit in a crowd for so long and am happy to see an opportunity.

I agree people with an entitled luxury attitude towards the festival is a huge negative. But if those people got tickets, they're the same kinds of dickheads that would leave every single thing they owned on site for someone else to clean up, so it's probably better than they have another option. 

• Upvote 1