There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

8 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

In an ideal world yeah. But we don’t live in one sadly (even when it comes to organisations which mostly make the world a better place like GFL). 

Your sentiment seems at odds with your name 😂 But yeah agreed - gotta say I hope another company comes along and provides a better solution, would serve them right if they lost the contract!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Fair enough but clearly the end result of this will simply be paying to enter a buying syndicates

You can already have other people try for you. Just ask friends. Doesn't matter if they're interested in going or not, they can still give it a go for you. Offer them a bottle of booze or something.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

It's not in any way fair.

The website is totally unfit for purpose

But everyone is in the same boat. You either get tickets or you don't, and besides having a big group trying, there's no real way to gain an advantage over others.

25 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I'd disagree with both of those to be honest, one simply biases towards people with more money and the other people with more free time. 

It just needs the current system, but one that actually works. I.e. once you're through the queue your tickets are held 

I agree, if people make it to the buying page and get all the details in they should get tickets, it's really not fair that people just get booted out because Seetickets system just isn't good enough. The festival rakes in millions every year can they not help Seetickets put better infrastructure in place? It was absolute mess this year with neither Seetickets themselves or Emily Eavis having a clue what was actually happening, telling everyone it was sold out when it clearly wasn't. It pissed me off and I got tickets.

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The ‘sold out’ tweet appearing before it’s actually sold out happens every year. That’s definitely one thing they could improve. 

I imagine at that point technically it is, as all tickets are allocated, but every year some go back in the pot due to declined payments etc. Just it pays to know this and to persevere, which is why some of us got rewarded. 

Imagine if it went to ballot most people who do music festivals would probably put their name down just to see what the line up is like than decide to go or stay. 

Most of us here want to go regardless because we love Glastonbury. 

This would mean there would be multiple waves of ballots ect.

The current system is chaotics but works. 

There is a far better chance now than any other system. 

Edited by Xeph1995

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The ‘sold out’ tweet appearing before it’s actually sold out happens every year. That’s definitely one thing they could improve. 

I love this - means that those of us in the know have an extra window. Last three festivals I’ve got it here 

11 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Never like this though, people were buying tickets 40 minutes after Emily and Seetickets announced the sellout, makes them look a bit silly.

I don't think they need to overhaul the whole system, they just need to invest some money so that Seetickets has more powerful computer systems that can handle the load. It might be a good move for their business, then they could do ticketing for other large events as well.

Edited by Madyaker

20 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

System is completely fine it's just luck of the draw and I'm okay with that, this will be my 5th Glastonbury since trying and I've missed 3 too it is what it is. 

If it was a ballot far more people would put their name down and the chance of getting them would be as bad as the lottery.

The system wasn't fine this year - half of our groups got to put in payment details before it crashed, and then timed them out and they lost their tickets.

That's never happened before. In previous years once you got through you got through.

Edited by Isaact

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Never like this though, people were buying tickets 40 minutes after Emily and Seetickets announced the sellout, makes them look a bit silly.

Yep. It’s undeniably good for people ‘in the know’ but does come off as amateurish (at a time when the sale process itself is already shambolic to most people trying). 

5 minutes ago, Longdrop Bum Grapes said:

I love this - means that those of us in the know have an extra window. Last three festivals I’ve got it here 

Everyone's "in the know" 

Obviously people who get the tickets are delighted, but those are tickets that someone else thought they had but instead lost because if a terrible IT system, they should be locked to the registrations for at least 20mins to allow people to re-enter their details on the mess that is seetickets website

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Isaact said:

The system wasn't fine this year - half of our groups got to put in payment details before it crashed, and then timed them out and they lost their tickets.

That's never happened before. In previous years once you got through you got through.

I'm pretty sure this has happened before, just maybe not to same crazy extent as today.

21 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I agree, if people make it to the buying page and get all the details in they should get tickets, it's really not fair that people just get booted out because Seetickets system just isn't good enough. 

But everyone has an equal chance of getting booted out on the payment page, so it's still "fair". Yes, the system was letting in more people than it could handle, but the upshot is that if you fix that, everyone that got through and had payment fail or time out would have just never got through in the first place. They wouldn't have all got tickets. Because that would have required more tickets.

I totally understand that it *feels* worse and for that reason they should fix it, but it's not actually worse or less fair. 

Edited by DeanoL

27 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The one thing they could do is increase the proportion of tickets for sale in the coach sale. Maybe introduce separate sales for people willing to travel by train and bike as well (although how you’d organise handing out tickets to people on trains and bikes like they do on the coaches I’ve no idea). 

At Shambala you have to present your train ticket on arrival to pick up your tickets, although that’s on trial this year and you could always just buy a ticket from a few stops away on your phone 

14 minutes ago, Isaact said:

I’ve had the payment system crap out on me in 2 years previously, probably more common now because of the extra verifications steps maybe? 

I have always thought that it should be some sort of ballot/registration, and if you aren’t successful on ticket day then your entry rolls over to next year where you have first refusal/priority bookings. 

I know that would be almost impossible to manage and will never happen, but something like that does seem the most fair way of allowing as many people as possible to attend the farm if they want to.

Relying on sheer luck and maybe missing out altogether (depending on life/circumstances), whilst some get to attend every year seems so harsh, but I guess that’s the whole point of a ‘random’ scramble on ticket day. 

Edited by st dan

16 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

At Shambala you have to present your train ticket on arrival to pick up your tickets, although that’s on trial this year and you could always just buy a ticket from a few stops away on your phone 

Imperfect but yeah can’t think of a better way. And anything which encourages people to travel on public transport instead of in the car, even if a minority find a way to manipulate the system, can only be a good thing. Bikes would obviously be straightforward to check on arrival (you either arrive with a bike or you don’t).