There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

1 minute ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Are people on this site incredibly popular or are random strangers now grouping together to buy in blocks? 

I know there are discord groups etc. But was hoping that was limited. 

Essentially means people just trying for themselves/ their mates have no chance

No longer randoms … people who helped in the resale last time …. I got mine in bus sale and my mates plus 4 efesters in this sale 

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Site seemed more glitchy at stages past the holding page after submitting various details this time … guess this helped our group in the long 

Whilst I didn't personally get past the holding page, friends saw a lot of glitches - multiple loading wheels taking up a full laptop screen when trying to submit payment, and then getting kicked back to holding.

I was lucky enough to end up with a ticket through my group, but still feel like the process could sbe improved. Even if, like you crazyfool, it probably helped me to get a ticket, it doesn't seem right for it to be so frustrating (though the method is fair).

I don't know much about IT, but couldn't they have separate servers for the payment/confirmation parts of the site?

I'm in the resale but I think I'm actually okay with it. Didn't get past the freezing holding page, nor did anyone I know trying. So at least I didn't have the ticket and it wouldn't take payment. 

Fact is though, they really are not prepared for the amount that use it. I'm fine with not getting through but don't freeze up. See even put a couple of messages out with technical issues. It wasn't that the sale took longer necessarily, it was just a very poor system.

4 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Are people on this site incredibly popular or are random strangers now grouping together to buy in blocks? 

Nothing stopping you from doing the same

4 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Just being organised. We got 38/38 which was a combination of being organised, good comms, sheer perseverance and luck. Once one group is sorted, they try for others etc. Only 2 out of the 6 groups who were all successful got their own tickets. 

2 minutes ago, cellar said:

Whilst I didn't personally get past the holding page, friends saw a lot of glitches - multiple loading wheels taking up a full laptop screen when trying to submit payment, and then getting kicked back to holding.

I was lucky enough to end up with a ticket through my group, but still feel like the process could sbe improved. Even if, like you crazyfool, it probably helped me to get a ticket, it doesn't seem right for it to be so frustrating (though the method is fair).

I don't know much about IT, but couldn't they have separate servers for the payment/confirmation parts of the site?

I wasn’t even trying this morning but seeing so many reports of crashes at the payment/confirmation page is just baffling for such a prestigious event.

Surely got to be a way they can give people a week to pay their deposits, separate to the sale, after that initial Sunday madness concludes. It works for the full payment window in the Spring. 

6 minutes ago, cellar said:

Exact same issues … I don’t mind too much the issues getting into site but had failure at almost all the stages throughout the process including nearly timing out on payment as that wouldn’t proceed 

My groups all got through, but that was incredibly painful. I think I got kicked out at every single stage possible. I can't object to not getting tickets if there's more demand than availability, but that was a shambles.

It's far less objectionable if the tickets sell out in 20 minutes without crashing, even if this kind of nonsense favours the obsessives who post on forums.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Yeah, just not that bothered to be honest. Got a group I want to go with, if none of us get through just go to somewhere else. A festival full of Billy no mates getting in every year in booking blocks won't be much fun

None of my regular group are going this year. I'm going solo and have already pulled together a few others.

I go for the festival, the music and the atmosphere. I know people there that I can see. I don't go to hang with friends who I see every other week.

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

None of my regular group are going this year. I'm going solo and have already pulled together a few others.

I go for the festival, the music and the atmosphere. I know people there that I can see. I don't go to hang with friends who I see every other week.

Fair enough but clearly the end result of this will simply be paying to enter a buying syndicates

18 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I wasn’t even trying this morning but seeing so many reports of crashes at the payment/confirmation page is just baffling for such a prestigious event.

Surely got to be a way they can give people a week to pay their deposits, separate to the sale, after that initial Sunday madness concludes. It works for the full payment window in the Spring. 

Yeah even something like that could work. I do really struggle to understand why no solution has been implemented - in my mind, it must be either because of the publicity it generates (giving it that unobtainable-so-I-must-have-it vibe), or else See are just really that stingy about investing the money into fixing it.

I think there is a better way of doing it but I would still have it be this style of sale rather than ballot etc. My 2 ideas would be:

- Increase the price of the deposit to £100 or a 3rd of the total cost (obvs minus that off the total cost of the ticket)

- Have the sale be at something like 4am on a Monday morning

It would cut the wheat from the chaff a little bit and give the dedicates a small increase in thew chances of getting a ticket.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I think there is a better way of doing it but I would still have it be this style of sale rather than ballot etc. My 2 ideas would be:

- Increase the price of the deposit to £100 or a 3rd of the total cost (obvs minus that off the total cost of the ticket)

- Have the sale be at something like 4am on a Monday morning

It would cut the wheat from the chaff a little bit and give the dedicates a small increase in thew chances of getting a ticket.

I'd disagree with both of those to be honest, one simply biases towards people with more money and the other people with more free time. 

It just needs the current system, but one that actually works. I.e. once you're through the queue your tickets are held 

Edited by BBC7BBCHEAVEN

5 minutes ago, cellar said:

Yeah even something like that could work. I do really struggle to understand why no solution has been implemented - in my mind, it must be either because of the publicity it generates (giving it that unobtainable-so-I-must-have-it vibe), or else See are just really that stingy about investing the money into fixing it.

It doesn’t hurt the reputation of the festival in any significant way so why would they spend money on improving it? The only reason to change anything about the ticketing system from the perspective of the fest or See would be if it actively started discouraging significant numbers of people from trying, but there’s no evidence of that happening despite tickets being nightmare to get hold of for well over a decade now. So regardless of the opinions of us punters it ain’t changing. 

Just now, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I'd disagree with both of those to be honest, one simply biases towards people with more money and the other people with more free time. 

Potentially yes but it would mean if you are dedicated enough then you would be able to make sure you are up at that sort of time. Increased cost would add difficulties but it would cut out people that think it's just £15 they lose out on so are trying sort of on a whim. I think a system that benefits people like that might be welcome but yes it does have flaws.

7 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

It doesn’t hurt the reputation of the festival in any significant way so why would they spend money on improving it? The only reason to change anything about the ticketing system from the perspective of the fest or See would be if it actively started discouraging significant numbers of people from trying, but there’s no evidence of that happening despite tickets being nightmare to get hold of for well over a decade now. So regardless of the opinions of us punters it ain’t changing. 

I guess you're right, unfortunately. I feel like a company should want to address issues like this though - seems like something that could potentially come back to bite them (even if there is no evidence for that yet).

System is completely fine it's just luck of the draw and I'm okay with that, this will be my 5th Glastonbury since trying and I've missed 3 too it is what it is. 

If it was a ballot far more people would put their name down and the chance of getting them would be as bad as the lottery.

Edited by Xeph1995

The only other possible way I could see is to basically randomly select people that have registered and expressed an interest in going.

Email the winners with a link to book up to 5 others...

I quite like the buzz of ticket day though myself even if it is brutal!

Edited by Thunderstruck

The one thing they could do is increase the proportion of tickets for sale in the coach sale. Maybe introduce separate sales for people willing to travel by train and bike as well (although how you’d organise handing out tickets to people on trains and bikes like they do on the coaches I’ve no idea).