The International Contingent

beefykoala

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

In the end, my ticket did arrive so when I arrived I just used it and hoped they hadn’t cancelled it somehow. However clever and secure tickets are, I don’t think it’s possible for them to actually cancel it as a valid ticket, is it? I don’t recall tickets ever being scanned and cross matched with a database or anything like that. 

Public tickets (and wristbands) have never had barcodes on them, up to and including 2019, so yeah there's never been a viable way to identify and retrospectively cancel one. Asking gates staff to watch for certain names and/or numbers obviously isn't a runner.

However - in 2019 they did start barcoding Staff tickets and Wristbands, like many other festivals have been doing for a while, as a trial with the expectation that it'd be rolled out for the Public in 2020.

It remains to be seen whether they follow through with it this year or not, as they could just decide that any covid checks/mitigations are too much change already, but my guess is we'll probably see it happen. The question then becomes whether the "we won't reissue lost tickets unless pretty much forced to" policy is changed immediately or stays in place until the new system is considered proven.

7 hours ago, kalifire said:

I had a ticket posted to Australia in 2015. The first and last time I’ll do that. It took weeks to arrive and I was convinced it had been lost. I contacted the office and arranged to pick up a replacement in a collection booth they have somewhere near PGA, but it really put a dampener on the whole experience which was supposed to be exciting.

In the end, my ticket did arrive so when I arrived I just used it and hoped they hadn’t cancelled it somehow. However clever and secure tickets are, I don’t think it’s possible for them to actually cancel it as a valid ticket, is it? I don’t recall tickets ever being scanned and cross matched with a database or anything like that. 

Had similar paranoia the one time I did it, was also convinced I'd lose them travelling back to UK and developed OCD symptoms from checking up on them.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Had similar paranoia the one time I did it, was also convinced I'd lose them travelling back to UK and developed OCD symptoms from checking up on them.

I think the OCD you get checking tickets from the minute you get them to going through the gates applies whether you are travelling from Pilton or Australia.  They are so precious.  

FWIW you can pick your tickets up from the box office at the festival. I did that in 2017. You go with your ID and CC or something like that and pick them up from a little office next to PGA

i've never had them posted to Argentina. I don't think I could handle the anxiety. 

Once I had them posted to a friend in London, twice I got coach packages and last time I picked them up at the festival.

Edited by Calvin Klein

13 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

FWIW you can pick your tickets up from the box office at the festival. I did that in 2017. You go with your ID and CC or something like that and pick them up from a little office next to PGA

i've never had them posted to Argentina. I don't think I could handle the anxiety. 

Once I had them posted to a friend in London, twice I got coach packages and last time I picked them up at the festival.

Do you just come over for the festival on your own each year?

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Do you just come over for the festival on your own each year?

With my gf (now wife). But not each year, although kind of 😆

We went in 2013 and were hooked I guess. Came back in 2014. Missed 2015. Went back in 2016 and thought that would be the last time but we were right there trying for tickets a few months later. 2017 was the last one. I tried for tickets in 2019 but failed on every sale. And I got my tickets for 2020...22. 

Hey everyone,first Glastonbury here,

We're coming from France with two friends by train and I have a question for our return.
We're supposed to head back to London on monday and take the Eurostar (st pancras) at 6:30PM, maybe we will have to do some COVID test.

How is it to take the train the monday at Glastonbury ? Is it chaos ? is it plausible to be in London the afternoon without waking up at 3AM ?

I'll be glad to read your knowing,

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Cseguin said:

We're coming from France with two friends by train and I have a question for our return.
We're supposed to head back to London on monday and take the Eurostar (st pancras) at 6:30PM, maybe we will have to do some COVID test.

How is it to take the train the monday at Glastonbury ? Is it chaos ? is it plausible to be in London the afternoon without waking up at 3AM ?

Cheers

On 2/2/2022 at 1:39 PM, Calvin Klein said:

With my gf (now wife). But not each year, although kind of 😆

We went in 2013 and were hooked I guess. Came back in 2014. Missed 2015. Went back in 2016 and thought that would be the last time but we were right there trying for tickets a few months later. 2017 was the last one. I tried for tickets in 2019 but failed on every sale. And I got my tickets for 2020...22. 

Nice one...its amazing that people come from the otherside of the world for a festival! 😄

I went to Benicassim in Spain in 2007 and then Exit festival in Serbia in 2008 which I felt was enough travelling and that was only 2-3 hours on a plane!

Thank you.
Some good elements here, wasn't that aware of the Eurostar politics nowadays?
I'm not sure it really answers my second question which is how chaotic is it to take the train on the Monday ?
i"ve been at various festivals where the 10AM train was finally a 3Pm train because reservations were not that respectected and it was first here first served.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Cseguin said:

Thank you.
Some good elements here, wasn't that aware of the Eurostar politics nowadays?
I'm not sure it really answers my second question which is how chaotic is it to take the train on the Monday ?
i"ve been at various festivals where the 10AM train was finally a 3Pm train because reservations were not that respectected and it was first here first served.

Thanks

That can be the case - aim to be at Castle Cary station as early as you can. If you're up to it, pack up on Sunday, store your gear in a lock-up (free), then party all night and walk out to the shuttle bus when the last stages close around 6am. Sleep on the train. 

7 hours ago, Cseguin said:

Cheers

Hi there,

This may not be helpful as it’s not about the train, but I have never had any problems catching the bus (National Express) on the Monday morning. I usually leave around 9am and arrive in London around midday. It’s very well organised so could be worth considering?

Finally in a position to start looking at flights. With the border re-opening for all in a few weeks, I'm wondering whether it will lead to some more flights being scheduled, or whether an increased demand will drive up prices - hopefully the latter will have worn off by June. Going to see how it goes and book within two weeks. 

7 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

Finally in a position to start looking at flights. With the border re-opening for all in a few weeks, I'm wondering whether it will lead to some more flights being scheduled, or whether an increased demand will drive up prices - hopefully the latter will have worn off by June. Going to see how it goes and book within two weeks. 

I took a punt and booked flights a couple of months ago.

Checked last week and prices were up nearly 50%.

Not like for like, but close enough.

Apologies for the mini hijack of the thread, as I’m not from abroad but reading it suddenly made me panic a bit. A mate has decided to choose to go to Barcelona for his stag the weekend before Glastonbury to go to Sonar. I think we come back on the Sunday, do we think there is any chance of any pre/post testing/quarantining going/coming back from abroad/ + any chance of covid passports/tests needed for Glastonbury?

I’d just assumed everything will be completely normal by then, but equally I’d always said to myself at given points since the pandemic I’d be hiding at home a week before Glastonbury of there was any sort of testing needed to get in, so I’ll be bloody raging if I get covid on this stag and that’s how it transpires. There are two others on the stag who are in my Glastonbury group as well, we’re all triple jabbed.

Again apologies for the hijack but just had a mini panic!

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Apologies for the mini hijack of the thread, as I’m not from abroad but reading it suddenly made me panic a bit. A mate has decided to choose to go to Barcelona for his stag the weekend before Glastonbury to go to Sonar. I think we come back on the Sunday, do we think there is any chance of any pre/post testing/quarantining going/coming back from abroad/ + any chance of covid passports/tests needed for Glastonbury?

I’d just assumed everything will be completely normal by then, but equally I’d always said to myself at given points since the pandemic I’d be hiding at home a week before Glastonbury of there was any sort of testing needed to get in, so I’ll be bloody raging if I get covid on this stag and that’s how it transpires. There are two others on the stag who are in my Glastonbury group as well, we’re all triple jabbed.

Again apologies for the hijack but just had a mini panic!

There's a simple answer to this.....don't go if it jeopardises your attendance at Glastonbury.  I think as far as testing goes we're most likely over that hump and that entry to/from Spain/UK is/will still be based upon vaccination status or proof of recent recovery.  That said, if you're not back until Sunday and then come down with it your 5 day isolation period (again assuming it's no different to presently) would pretty much prevent you being at Pilton.

Personally, after 5 years away, I'd be politely declining.....especially as I've had the ticket metaphorically in my hand for almost 3 years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

There's a simple answer to this.....don't go if it jeopardises your attendance at Glastonbury.  I think as far as testing goes we're most likely over that hump and that entry to/from Spain/UK is/will still be based upon vaccination status or proof of recent recovery.  That said, if you're not back until Sunday and then come down with it your 5 day isolation period (again assuming it's no different to presently) would pretty much prevent you being at Pilton.

Personally, after 5 years away, I'd be politely declining.....especially as I've had the ticket metaphorically in my hand for almost 3 years.

I know, it’s a nightmare. Problem is the other two people from our group are also ushers, obviously I’m not but he’s still one of my best mates. I think this guy is determined to ruin Glastonbury as he tried to rearrange the wedding for Glastonbury weekend initially (in 2020 it wasn’t until August) until we managed to persuade him to change it to the following weekend. Then he dropped this on us the other day. I’d been living on edge for 6/12 months waiting for 5 weddings and 3 stags to be rearranged this year and thought I’d finally got away with it. Unfortunately he’s one of those people who just doesn’t get it, and would take it as a real insult to miss his stag so I could go to Glastonbury. Might just have to fake getting covid before his stag.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I know, it’s a nightmare. Problem is the other two people from our group are also ushers, obviously I’m not but he’s still one of my best mates. I think this guy is determined to ruin Glastonbury as he tried to rearrange the wedding for Glastonbury weekend initially (in 2020 it wasn’t until August) until we managed to persuade him to change it to the following weekend. Then he dropped this on us the other day. I’d been living on edge for 6/12 months waiting for 5 weddings and 3 stags to be rearranged this year and thought I’d finally got away with it. Unfortunately he’s one of those people who just doesn’t get it, and would take it as a real insult to miss his stag so I could go to Glastonbury. Might just have to fake getting covid before his stag.

A mate of mine had his wedding on the weekend of Glastonbury in 2015.

Six of us who were close mates (including two of his old housemates) had tickets for Glastonbury that year and we all missed his wedding, thankfully he understood but it was the weekend his wife wanted...he did say it was fine until I think it got to the evening part and he realised a lot of his friends weren't there and said a few years later he wish he'd had not been such a rollover to her for the date (other people missed it as they were on holiday)

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You don’t have to miss his stag tho? It’s the weekend before glasto. You’re making out like he’s done something wrong here.

It is extremely unlikely there would be any quarantine requirements. Personally I’d feel a bit of a diddy if I missed one of my best mate’s stags to sit at home for glasto a few days later 

For what little its worth i dont see it being very likely of the festival requiring any covid status now, although even if they do then as long as you are jabbed you wont need to test so i would probably lean towards going to sonar if you want to. You will be knackered for glastonbury tho! 

the likelihood of them requiring a negative test regardless of vaccination status seems extremely small to me. The law by that point will not require them to do anything at all re covid. They may wish to do something cursory to keep local council / licence happy. 

basically if you dont catch it youre fine and if you caught it but asymptomatically or mildly youre fine. You only wouldnt be fine if you got it and it was debilitating which if you are 3x jabbed and under 40 is miniscule.

Edited by Memory Man

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You don’t have to miss his stag tho? It’s the weekend before glasto. You’re making out like he’s done something wrong here.

It is extremely unlikely there would be any quarantine requirements. Personally I’d feel a bit of a diddy if I missed one of my best mate’s stags to sit at home for glasto a few days later 

Well that was the question I was asking, I had assumed there wouldn’t be but suddenly panicked there might be. Of course he hasn’t done anything wrong, although having said that they know we have Glastonbury the following weekend and one of our group has kids, so it’s less than ideal he’ll be spending close to two weeks away from them with just a couple of days in the middle. 

4 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

For what little its worth i dont see it being very likely of the festival requiring any covid status now, although even if they do then as long as you are jabbed you wont need to test so i would probably lean towards going to sonar if you want to. You will be knackered for glastonbury tho! 

the likelihood of them requiring a negative test regardless of vaccination status seems extremely small to me. The law by that point will not require them to do anything at all re covid. They may wish to do something cursory to keep local council / licence happy. 

This was my initial concern (I’m 40) but I’d finally come to terms with that only to have a panic about covid again.

Sorry to hijack the thread again everyone, I guess there is a bit of an overlap in terms of flying back to the UK a few days before the festival though.

In theory they could change the rules from spain at any time but its just not very likely. Id go but try to take it easy in barca and not go mad on the booze etc as it will mean you’ll make it to glasto in a state to enjoy yourself. You could slink off and have an early ish night one night or suggest you do day parties at sonar rather than all nighters!