Future of the Pyramid

Winslow Leach

5 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

When did they get rid of the screens behind the sound desk?  I've not spent much time there for a few years (but saw about half my acts there this year) so I've never noticed.

When they switched from a single, double height sound desk to the current setup of 2 separate (relatively) low profile positions. I want to say 2015 or 2016?

31 minutes ago, incident said:

When they switched from a single, double height sound desk to the current setup of 2 separate (relatively) low profile positions. I want to say 2015 or 2016?

Yeah, 2015 was the first year. Initially I thought it would be some technical thing to do with Kanye’s crane but it’s stayed that way ever since. Looks a lot nicer but the screens are missed.

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

Renamed The Pymild for the 50th anniversary with JJ curating. 

High Frying Birds, Bastille and Foals to headline. 

I didn't know jj had made his way onto the glasto forums too, I thought he just messed everyone around elsewhere ? still so confused as its genuinely not a troll account

Just turn it in to a big fucking footy pitch that you shoot in to the pyramid to score, no teams every man for them self, no rules, anything goes, stalls set up around the perimeter, offering various weapons and items that can be used to dismantle opponents. In fact fuck it, just turn the whole site in to a 5 day Battle Royale. Winner gets a bottle of scrumpy awarded by Michael Eavis himself at the top of the pyramid. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Just turn it in to a big fucking footy pitch that you shoot in to the pyramid to score, no teams every man for them self, no rules, anything goes, stalls set up around the perimeter, offering various weapons and items that can be used to dismantle opponents. In fact fuck it, just turn the whole site in to a 5 day Battle Royale. Winner gets a bottle of scrumpy awarded by Michael Eavis himself at the top of the pyramid. 

Only if Eric Cantona is there for every match to start it off with 'First goal wins' 

On the subject of the mixing and lighting desk - that was a great move. The rake of the field means that the edge of the stage is visible from almost anywhere. All but being right behind the single storey mixers. Opens up a massive amount of the field for viewing that was previously unable to see the stage. Before so much of the field was obscured by the double storey desk etc. 

9 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

They should put a second floor in the field around 50ft above the ground for the flag people. And have free coffee and life assurance. 

How about a stall at the side of the stage selling invisible flags that you can only see when you put on special goggles, that’d be super.

51 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

On the subject of the mixing and lighting desk - that was a great move. The rake of the field means that the edge of the stage is visible from almost anywhere. All but being right behind the single storey mixers. Opens up a massive amount of the field for viewing that was previously unable to see the stage. Before so much of the field was obscured by the double storey desk etc. 

Indeed it was, and as far as I can tell, nobody on here had thought of it.  Seems counter intuitive that adding another tower would improve visibility of the stage, but it certainly did.

I think the Pyramid should slowly evolve into a dance music orientated stage, where DJ's command the crowd and it goes on until much later.

It is very wearisome when bands that were about when your dad was a youth are up there headlining when they are way past their best, were boring then and certainly are now. Get rid.

Get the cream of techno and D&B to play long extended sets and turn the pyramid into a fat rave, which is much more fun than cheesy Kylie Minogue, for example.

It might also stop people getting tickets who don't deserve them, and are only there for soppy bands, and don't even do Glastonbury properly. Instead of the Killers, get someone like Paul Van Dyk to headline, and see how many posh people from the London suburbs don't bother coming and setting up camping chairs by the Pyramid all weekend. Then there will be far more tickets available to real festivals heads, who like a rave and getting on one all weekend, rather than going to bed at midnight.  

17 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was going to start this thread, but seriously.  Is there anything else that can/will be tweaked about the Pyramid?  Other than one off Coldplay-funded gimmicks, is there much left to do with it?  They can always tweak the sound, but they've done a better job there than elsewhere on site.

I only saw one headliner there this year, Stormzy, so I'm not sure if this happened the other nights, but the outside of the Pyramid was lit up this year.  I'll attach some (not great) photos but you can see the huge lights at the rear corners illuminating the sides.  It's not quite what Coldplay did in 2011, but neither did it require huge towers from which to project.

Aside from that, maybe video mapping (is that what it's called?), although how many in the field would even notice probably makes that kind of thing moot.

And obviously, this stuff only works in the dark, which makes it only useful for one act a day.

Inked20190628_225538_LI.jpg

Inked20190628_234217_LI.jpg