William’s Green 2019

FloorFiller

Pretty excellent lineup for those interested in newer indie bands. If it was its own festival, I'd fork out for sure. In practice, it's not somewhere you'd want to spend all day though unless it's raining but if I was going, I'd be frequenting it even more than I normally do.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Can we talk about how good this years lineup is?

And is it just me or does it seem overall significantly stronger than most previous years?

Has beaten both The Park and John Peel at what they usually do best imo.

I’ve got a pretty even spread across WG, TP and JPT (and WH), but I definitely agree FF. 

With some WG acts also playing on bigger stages the real decision for me now is do I ‘guarantee’ seeing them on the larger stage...or take the chance on being able to get near WG, which, if successful, will undoubtedly be the better more intimate gig.  

6 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I’ve got a pretty even spread across WG, TP and JPT (and WH), but I definitely agree FF. 

With some WG acts also playing on bigger stages the real decision for me now is do I ‘guarantee’ seeing them on the larger stage...or take the chance on being able to get near WG, which, if successful, will undoubtedly be the better more intimate gig.  

Are there many? I was surprised how some of the acts weren't playing larger stages; Sundara Karma, Shame, Let's Eat Grandma I would have expected to be gracing larger stages. For the majority you won't have to worry about 'getting near' on Friday to Sunday because it doesn't really get that busy unless it's someone pretty huge like Vaccines or Bastille.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Any recommendations? I’m just going to snapped ankles currently.

There's quite a lot of stuff. Have a look thru this playlist courtesy of @found home in 2009

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Friday: Black Midi, Yak, Amyl & the Sniffers, Sundara Karma, Bill Ryder-Jones, Sunflower Bean, Let's Eat Grandma

Saturday: Squid, Sports Team, Snapped Ankles, Fontaine's DC, Pip Blom, Shame

Sunday: Boy Azooga, Avi Buffalo, Jade Bird, BC Camplight

And those are just the ones I initially knew and liked - I've yet to properly delve in to the rest of the bands on their lineup, but I'm sure they're mostly varying degrees of good if the rest is to go by.

Although as a downside like has been pointed out, it's a shame some of the bands don't have second longer sets over the weekend. Great lineup but 40 minutes just ain't long enough.

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, dentalplan said:

Are there many? I was surprised how some of the acts weren't playing larger stages; Sundara Karma, Shame, Let's Eat Grandma I would have expected to be gracing larger stages. For the majority you won't have to worry about 'getting near' on Friday to Sunday because it doesn't really get that busy unless it's someone pretty huge like Vaccines or Bastille.

There's quite a lot of stuff. Have a look thru this playlist courtesy of @found home in 2009

Thanks! I saw Yak recently (in Norwich of all places!). They were good. (Also met someone who turned out to be the singer from Yak in the WG tent two years ago during Jagwar Ma - nice bloke)

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Friday: Black Midi, Yak, Amyl & the Sniffers, Sundara Karma, Bill Ryder-Jones, Sunflower Bean, Let's Eat Grandma

And those are just the ones I initially knew and liked - I've yet to properly delve in to the rest of the bands on their lineup, but I'm sure they're mostly varying degrees of good if the rest is to go by.

Thanks! Anyone seen Avi Buffalo? Really like the first album. Never seen before - but they overlap with Slaves.

Edited by Homer

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

For the majority you won't have to worry about 'getting near' on Friday to Sunday because it doesn't really get that busy unless it's someone pretty huge like Vaccines or Bastille.

I think you’re probably right (hope so) and I’m viewing the popularity of some of the acts playing through an eFestivals / 6Music lens (for want of a better expression). 

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I think you’re probably right (hope so) and I’m viewing the popularity of some of the acts playing through an eFestivals / 6Music lens (for want of a better expression). 

Pretty sure I read that Thurston Moore was dead last time (bad expression: I mean the tent wasn't very busy!). I wish I'd popped over when Toots didn't show, but only occurred to me later!

37 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although as a downside like has been pointed out, it's a shame some of the bands don't have second longer sets over the weekend. Great lineup but 40 minutes just ain't long enough.

Blimey, I've missed half of them, cheers.

2 hours ago, TKOCF said:

Sundara are usually a lot of fun live, excited for them.

Thinking about the live music on Thursday: Pale Waves and The Amazons?

Definitely not The Amazons. Have said they are not playing and turned down two offers that weren't right for them right now. 

2 hours ago, Homer said:

My good mates Madonnatron are playing at like 2oclock on Saturday. They're new record is really good. Dead chuffed for them. 

Also I remember seeing Black Midi years ago at The Windmill playing with a band called Gentle Stranger (who are incredible btw) now they play all over the place and are opening up on Friday. Don't know em personally but they played the same venues that I play at regularly. These venues are great for nurturing small bands and watching them grow. Check out a live vid here:

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Definitely not The Amazons. Have said they are not playing and turned down two offers that weren't right for them right now. 

Hmm, wasn’t aware that they’d ruled themselves out. Not sure who it’d be. Best case scenario for me personally would be Don Broco, but they’d probably be too big for it anyway. Peace maybe?

Edited by TKOCF