The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Yeah, I always managed to get out OK too. As you say, these days vehicles in a site that also had fires (and the occasional fireworks) would be such a no no. 

I did see something very strange - late 80's - there was two teenagers well out of it and they had a small fire that looked as if it was going to go out so they thought up a solution ' they dragged their tent ' and put it on the fire - not sure what was in it # I was just hanging about making sure they did not touch any other tent # - you have to wonder what they teach in schools !!! - it did not last long and with it being synthetic there was more fumes than heat - just shows you they must have been well out of it. 

You still camped with your vehicle at Reading up to 92.

It was a mud bath that year, in fact the river came up and the fields flooded so the only way out was down the towpath.

in 93 we started to camp away from the cars

3 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

So did it hit the site or not? Thanks.

No it was only wet in the morning on friday.  Then a lovely afternoon and evening.  A little rain over night which cleared by about 11am. Got my washing dried today. Clear sky now with a starry sky and bright moon.

Edited by deebeedoobee

2 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

No it was only wet in the morning on friday.  Then a lovely afternoon and evening.  A little rain over night which cleared by about 11am. Got my washing dried today. Clear sky now with a starry sky and bright moon.

Long may your washing and well be dry. X

It has been dry all day but the clouds are beginning to gather and a few spots of rain are falling so the cat has come indoors. Tomorrow looks grim but there's still plenty of time before the festival starts for the weather to improve.

10 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

It has been dry all day but the clouds are beginning to gather and a few spots of rain are falling so the cat has come indoors. Tomorrow looks grim but there's still plenty of time before the festival starts for the weather to improve.

This week has been lined up as grim for a couple of weeks. The key is that next week, which has not been lined up as grim, does not turn grim.

We're ok as the forecast stands.

Not at all grim in Pilton.  T shirt weather. Nothing more than a sprinkle that didn’t even wet the path.

the well is well dry. Still no water. We are a desert. The sticky stick shows some moisture about 3 inches into the bottom but nothing more than it has been for two weeks now.

still having to water in the veggie garden. Was on my hands and knees weeding the potatoes ( it seemed easier at the time) and my trousers didn’t get damp. The soil just brushed off. Even the water butts are half empty.

please smile and celebrate folks for presently we are high and dry.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 9

51 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Not at all grim in Pilton.  T shirt weather. Nothing more than a sprinkle that didn’t even wet the path.

the well is well dry. Still no water. We are a desert. The sticky stick shows some moisture about 3 inches into the bottom but nothing more than it has been for two weeks now.

still having to water in the veggie garden. Was on my hands and knees weeding the potatoes ( it seemed easier at the time) and my trousers didn’t get damp. The soil just brushed off. Even the water butts are half empty.

Excellent news. We are as always taking one for the team here in Manchester. I pity those poor Parklifers!

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You have to watch Parklife, last time it was a really muddy one, it all got a bit stabby.

I was at that one, although I wasn't the stabby one. Left early cos the atmosphere was best described as muddy and crackly. 

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Excellent news.

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes it may be one of my closest festivals but I wouldn't go to it. 

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You have to watch Parklife, last time it was a really muddy one, it all got a bit stabby.

Sounds horrendous am I right in thinking that it attracts a young crowd? Wet muddy years bring the best out in Glastonbury goers on the whole so a muddy Parklife is no excuse for a shit aggy atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, dccool said:

Excellent news.

Sounds horrendous am I right in thinking that it attracts a young crowd? Wet muddy years bring the best out in Glastonbury goers on the whole so a muddy Parklife is no excuse for a shit aggy atmosphere.

Yes I'm at least 20 years too old for it. My friend lives very near Heaton Park and expensive bar prices mean kids go to local tesco and neck bottles of spirits before they get in which will be what causes all the problems and is one of the reasons why Glastonbury has such a different atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

What a terrific comprehensive combination of meteorology, hydrology, horticulture and even a wee dash of fashion. A poetic description of a bit of dry  soil! 

• Like 1