The State Of The Ground.

Sawdusty surfer

6 hours ago, Keithy said:

I'm not in the market for a new jacket having just reproofed mine but that does seem a bit of a steal.....though always a bit suspicious of huge price drops....

I wouldn’t worry about that, I don’t think Regatta ever charge full price for anything!

can i say i am less interested in the weather in highlands and islands (at least in this thread) and more concerned with the conditions around the farm - can we stick to the point? some good intel further back; thanks for this

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Keithy said:

I'm not in the market for a new jacket having just reproofed mine but that does seem a bit of a steal.....though always a bit suspicious of huge price drops....

There are still a bunch of similarly specified Berghaus jackets in go outdoors for 40 quid, where the RRP was 110 I believe.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/s:berghaus+stormcloud/?search=berghaus+stormcloud 

14 minutes ago, bullie said:

can i say i am less interested in the weather in highlands and islands (at least in this thread) and more concerned with the conditions around the farm - can we stick to the point? some good intel further back; thanks for this

Interested in jackets? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flysheet said:

8 deg, howling winds and pouring rain for last 24 hours or more up here in the Pennines...

Its autumnal at best 

Similar in North Yorkshire - very reassuring to check webcam and see the site seems to be in fine condition still

• Like 1

A quick look at the webcam this morning shows a welcome lightening of the brown on the vehicle paths that got some moisture yesterday. So far it looks like the ground is in good shape to recover from modest rainfall. If we get out of this week in reasonable shape then I am hoping that TWO WEEKS TODAY we shall be greeted by some reassuringly firm ground.

6 minutes ago, tumbles said:

We've had nowhere near the rain elsewhere in the west country so far.  Keep an eye on the Cricket World Cup today as its in Taunton - although Taunton does seem to have its own microclimate like Pilton at times. 

You're not kidding. I'm just outside Taunton and we haven't had a dry day for what seems like about three weeks.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

Just now, Sawdusty Surfer said:

You're not kidding. I'm just outside Taunton and we haven't had a dry day for what seems like about three weeks.

Going to watch Somerset over the years I've had the experience of it being beautifully sunny and warm as we come down the M5, just as we go past J24 we see the clouds to the right and know whats coming.   They always say if you can see the quantocks in the background it has some relevance to good/bad weather I think? 

Just now, deebeedoobee said:

No rain over night in Pilton. 

RAM jam jar and sticky stick readings will be reported later after boring meetings.

That's what I like to hear. My flare up of my sciatica is currently making me extremely worried about mud. Every step hurting is bad enough, every step hurting trudging through mud would be horrendous so all good news about the site is gratefully received. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

My flare up of my sciatica is currently making me extremely worried about mud.

Mine came back yesterday acupuncture booked in for later.

No rain in Bristol over night and dry at the moment. Considering how much its pissed down over the last few days the grounds fine and has soaked everything up no problem.

This is basically The Weather Thread 2.0

I find myself reading The Weather Thread (which let’s be fair, is still mainly predictions at this point), then coming here in the hope of some more positive news. 

Before returning the The Weather Thread.

Edited by DareToDibble
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tumbles said:

Going to watch Somerset over the years I've had the experience of it being beautifully sunny and warm as we come down the M5, just as we go past J24 we see the clouds to the right and know whats coming.   They always say if you can see the quantocks in the background it has some relevance to good/bad weather I think? 

That's a bit like if you can see Glastonbury Tor when at the pyramid stage, when the Tor disappears you know you're in trouble.

5 minutes ago, dccool said:

Mine came back yesterday acupuncture booked in for later.

No rain in Bristol over night and dry at the moment. Considering how much its pissed down over the last few days the grounds fine and has soaked everything up no problem.

On my third day of pain now. Last night felt better than the night before but this morning it was worse than yesterday. I can usually walk it off but this morning when I went out it felt like my leg was on fire. Hope the acupuncture works for you. I've had a physio appointment and have bought a tens machine. 

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

This is basically The Weather Thread 2.0

I find myself reading The Weather Thread (which let’s be fair, is still mainly predictions at this point), then coming here in the hope of some more positive news. 

Before returning the The Weather Thread.

Weather thread is all predictions as you say. At this point I think time is on our side though and the longer it goes with the ground being in decent shape the less of an effect the weather close to or at the time of the festival can have. That's the way I'm choosing to look at it anyway. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Weather thread is all predictions as you say. At this point I think time is on our side though and the longer it goes with the ground being in decent shape the less of an effect the weather close to or at the time of the festival can have. That's the way I'm choosing to look at it anyway. 

Pretty much.  I enjoy the speculation in the weather thread even though I'm prone to getting carried away with an extreme forecast  but I always return here for a bit of sanity and reassurance from @deebeedoobee's wonderful well widget and jam jar.

Either way, the site has appeared to have missed the worst of the weather so far and the forecast for the next two weeks isn't too bad so we're in a reasonably good position at the moment

9 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

This thread for facts and current state of play from @deebeedoobee and @Sawdusty Surfer's updates. 

The weather thread for @The Nal's doom mongering and all of the rest of the general hysteria at any kind of prediction

yes, I think this thread is more 'real time' reporting :)

the other thread is for fantasy football weather guessing and Nals one trick posting.

neither threads are any indication of what will actually happen though :D