What's your exit strategy?

kalifire

11 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

I guessing the lockups aren't available on the Monday. It might be a good thing to introduce tent lockups for people who want to stay longer for whatever reason.

11 hours ago, incident said:

They're available until about noon Monday, give or take local variances.

The Festival is officially forbidden from having public on site past ~5pm, so there's no provision for people who want to stay longer.

All lockups bar Pyramid close noon Monday.

That one stays open till 4pm & gets used as the "sweep" hub for anything left at the others till then. After that it all goes to lost property.

2017 - I had an 11am coach back to Liverpool booked. Went hard on the Sunday night, woke up at noon 😬 Begged my way onto a different coach, but had to wait a couple of hours.

2019 - I thought I'd learned my lesson, booked a 1pm coach. Went even harder on the Sunday night, woke up as my coach was leaving. 😬 Franticly packed up and just made the last coach, which I couldn't beg onto and had to pay full price again.

2022 - Definitely learned my lesson. 👀 Booked latest coach possible, 2.30pm. Planned to pick up my valuables from the lockup before heading to bed approx 6am Monday morning...over-indulged, found my legs incapable of carrying me to said lockup. Passed out, woke up 30 mins after the lockup closed...cue frantic dash but too late, property already removed. Ran after van across the site, eventually catching up to it at Pyramid lockup, had to wait whilst everything was unloaded and checked in. Incredible volunteers earned a massive donation to their charity by finding my wallet and car keys. ❤️ Sprint back to camp, pack up, miss last coach by half hour. 🤦‍♂️ Plan B...book an expensive train home, via London. Tickets bought, queued for 2.5 hours to get on the shuttle to CC, then another 3 at the station. Finally on the train to London, realise time is running out. Tube from Paddington to Euston, arrive 10 minutes after last connection to Liverpool left. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Plan C...book an expensive coach home. Ticket bought, frantic tube journey from Euston to Victoria, make the coach with a minute to spare. 6hr coach journey, 20 minute Uber to collect my car, 30 minute drive home. Shower, suit, into the office for 8am. 😭😭😭

So, in 2022 I woke up at about 12:30 Monday, travelled until 07:00 Tuesday and was sat at my desk by 08:00. NEVER AGAIN 😂

Edited by theciderviking
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 10

I never drink on the Sunday at all, and always pack most of the stuff in the car first knockings on the Sunday - so it’s a reasonably chill day, head to bed after whichever headliner I watch and a last final stroll around the site, then I’m up at 6:30ish to take down the tent and head back down south. Porcelain poop at Southampton services, and I was back on my sofa by midday last couple of years - traffic is fine when you get off the a303, the rest of the route is a breeze. I always get trippy as fuck dreams for a few days (and I don’t drink to excess or take drugs) but will be off work til the Thursday. I need to reconcile being back among the humans! 

14 hours ago, kalifire said:

Who here stays on site on the Monday morning, and leaves later in the day?

I'm starting to think that might be best, rather than trying to catch the first train out of Castle Cary on minimal/no sleep. I escape the crowds doing that, but I could also escape them after most of them have left. Would just be a bit insecure about the safety of my tent leaving it standing until Monday afternoon.

Car traveller but...

Always used to come back on site for a last bimble about/scavenge after packing everything up. Sometimes takes two journeys and I always leave a note in the tent, "Coming back, please don't tat". It's worked so far. Maybe 'cause my tent is so old it's not worth tatting.

But. It's not as good as it used to be The Monday imo. They close things off now. From chatting to stewards I believe they stop entry to Sacred Space/Stone Circle at a certain hour in the early morning. Crew wristbands only after.

Made the trek all of the way to Cinerarmageddon (spelling?) one year as I hadn't made it Wed-Sun only to be denied entry.

Wake/Shake up crews hassling people to move on in the campsites as well.

Plus, I hate to admit to myself, the fact I'm getting a bit too old and knackered for all of the back and forth involved.

Still think it's the better option leaving later though. I could leave earlier, but then I'd just be stuck in a car, stuck in a traffic jam for longer : Whatever time I leave I inevitably end up hitting traffic at the A303/Stonehenge : Leave at midday or late afternoon doesn't really make much difference in arrive home time (barring shitty, pita, badly signposted, start at 8pm roadwork diversions. Was sent 'round in circles one year pre satnav really being a thing).

1 hour ago, theciderviking said:

2017 - I had an 11am coach back to Liverpool booked. Went hard on the Sunday night, woke up at noon 😬 Begged my way onto a different coach, but had to wait a couple of hours.

2019 - I thought I'd learned my lesson, booked a 1pm coach. Went even harder on the Sunday night, woke up as my coach was leaving. 😬 Franticly packed up and just made the last coach, which I couldn't beg onto and had to pay full price again.

2022 - Definitely learned my lesson. 👀 Booked latest coach possible, 2.30pm. Planned to pick up my valuables from the lockup before heading to bed approx 6am Monday morning...over-indulged, found my legs incapable of carrying me to said lockup. Passed out, woke up 30 mins after the lockup closed...cue frantic dash but too late, property already removed. Ran after van across the site, eventually catching up to it at Pyramid lockup, had to wait whilst everything was unloaded and checked in. Incredible volunteers earned a massive donation to their charity by finding my wallet and car keys. ❤️ Sprint back to camp, pack up, miss last coach by half hour. 🤦‍♂️ Plan B...book an expensive train home, via London. Tickets bought, queued for 2.5 hours to get on the shuttle to CC, then another 3 at the station. Finally on the train to London, realise time is running out. Tube from Paddington to Euston, arrive 10 minutes after last connection to Liverpool left. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Plan C...book an expensive coach home. Ticket bought, frantic tube journey from Euston to Victoria, make the coach with a minute to spare. 6hr coach journey, 20 minute Uber to collect my car, 30 minute drive home. Shower, suit, into the office for 8am. 😭😭😭

So, in 2022 I woke up at about 12:30 Monday, travelled until 07:00 Tuesday and was sat at my desk by 08:00. NEVER AGAIN 😂

I particularly enjoy how it just keeps getting worse. 

For 2023 you definitely need either a mate to reign you in or to do post feat volunteering.

7 hours ago, theciderviking said:

I think I feel sick.

Coach or car always relatively up early on Monday, 6/7ish, because we have to cross the Channel and don't want to miss the train or ferry . This usually ends up in an excruciating long wait at a train or ferry station, wishing we booked an earlier one and wondering if it's worth spending money rebooking. Tuesday always off work, I wouldn't even be able to pretend to be working from home. 

I pack up all my things on Sunday morning around 11am, take them to the lock up nearest Gate A, enjoy my Sunday and Monday morning and then around 4am, pick up my stuff and get the first coach to Castle Cary. I'm back home in Southampton and in bed by 9am. Been doing this for years and would never change it.

9 hours ago, theciderviking said:

That's made me feel a bit queasy. 😂

I have had the luxury of being able to hang around on the Monday to lie in and let the majority of people leave before a leisurely pack up and walk up the hill of death. Usually leave the site at around 3 and go straight out. Only need to travel as far as Devon though so that makes a difference. 

We keep one person with the tent though because the scavenging is in full swing by mid morning/ early afternoon. 

We car parked last time and basically stayed up until about 3am, husband didn't drink and then we drove home. I remember stopping and getting a Red Bull from a petrol station halfway and having an existential crisis.

This time we are offsite with a borrowed campervan, but my husband is still planning for us to leave at like 2am Monday morning. He is paranoid he'll end up in traffic. I'm not driving so I'll do what he says 😆

10 hours ago, theciderviking said:

As someone who gets super anxious about being late, especially when it comes to traveling, that story is giving me the absolute fear.

Hats off to you for making it to work after all that!

11 hours ago, theciderviking said:

This is incredible! Remind me to never go anywhere with you, you're cursed.

After getting stuck in the carpark for about six hours due to what I can only assume was complete incompetence from the stewards, I think this was 2013, I have now left middle of the night Sunday (3/4am) and never look back.

Just pack everything up ready to leave before heading out for the day on Sunday and have a chill day, maybe drink at the start of the day with a nap or just not drink.

I'm usually pretty wrecked from four nights of solid drinking anyway so it's not missed, and the joy of getting home ahead of the main traffic is worth it. 

2017 - mate drove, planned to leave around 6/7am. Wake up to find his tent is gone, quick panicked call, to find out he's at the car and leaving in 30 mins, with or without me. Turns out, he looked in my tent and thought I'd gone out Sunday night, when I was actually asleep in the rear compartment. Git took my sack barrow as well, one sweaty heaving walk/jog later I found him and we sailed off site and then hit non stop traffic.

2019 - became ill on the Saturday morning. By Sunday ambulanced off site, in hospital for just over a week. Avoided traffic at least.

2022 - coach on the way in but bagged a lift with 2017 mate to go home. Sunday packed up all my gear and slung it in his tent, watched pet shop boys and then back to his tent for a couple hours kip then left around 3/4am. Sailed through, home by 9, in the pub by midday. Side note, I get plenty of holiday days, so always book an extra week off work, to readjust to the real world and ride the festival vibe for as long as possible 

Best journey home to date after a 6am finish last year.

Gambled based on past experiences that the coach would be empty on the way home and would be no issues jumping on without a ticket. 

Coach company is based near where I live, so the driver let us stay on to the depot, rather than get off in the city centre.  Even offered to grab a mini bus and do the final trip to the house, but we gratefully refused as we had sorted a lift.

No traffic, Gate A to bed in 3 hours max 

18 hours ago, moogster said:

Coach or car always relatively up early on Monday, 6/7ish, because we have to cross the Channel and don't want to miss the train or ferry . This usually ends up in an excruciating long wait at a train or ferry station, wishing we booked an earlier one and wondering if it's worth spending money rebooking. Tuesday always off work, I wouldn't even be able to pretend to be working from home. 

I also need to cross the Channel. I still haven't booked anything because I'm in doubt about everything. Getting nervous about it because coaches are getting sold out. What time do you usually book a ferry/train to cross the Channel? That "excruciating long wait" you are talking about is what I'm fearing too. I don't want to book a ferry/train too early because of the stress of missing it, but when leaving at around 6 or 7 AM, you might have to wait hours at the train/ferry... I have never been to Glastonbury. I have read so much forums/reddit whatever and have read horror stories about everything. Coach from London, train to Castle Cary, coming by car.

At the moment I'm considering coming by car (from Belgium).

Edited by sokkovokna

5 hours ago, sokkovokna said:

I also need to cross the Channel. I still haven't booked anything because I'm in doubt about everything. Getting nervous about it because coaches are getting sold out. What time do you usually book a ferry/train to cross the Channel? That "excruciating long wait" you are talking about is what I'm fearing too. I don't want to book a ferry/train too early because of the stress of missing it, but when leaving at around 6 or 7 AM, you might have to wait hours at the train/ferry... I have never been to Glastonbury. I have read so much forums/reddit whatever and have read horror stories about everything. Coach from London, train to Castle Cary, coming by car.

By car we tend to book a late afternoon ferry to Dunkerque (like 5pm) that allows to take an earlier or later one. With Dunkerque that's still two hours apart, but in general we caught the slightly earlier one. Happened as well that we were 15 minutes late. Dunkerque because it's less busy/less risk of random issues in Calais and because closer to Belgium and the southern side of the Netherlands where I live.

The downside of driving is that we tend to be exhausted on Monday and there were a couple of times where this combined with peak time traffic on Belgian highways... well let's say it would be almost safer to drink while intoxicated. 

This year it's 9 am coach to London and Eurostar at 6 pm. Which I am pretty sure (crossing fingers) is more than enough time. 

Basically you never know and it depends on how many people are in your group. If there are enough people to take turns in driving and you are not too far East/North in Belgium then ferry is good. If you are close to train stations, then Eurostar is more relaxing. Depends as well if you bring all your gear of if you got pre-erected camping.

If you have some time to kill, read the "International Contingent" thread. It's not too far back in active threads. Or DM me!

9 hours ago, sokkovokna said:

I'm a UK resident but have travelled into France/Belgium quite a bit.  I've always driven and used the Eurotunnel.  It's faster and more regular than ferries.  There's nothing to do on the train but wait by your car but it's only around a 35 minute journey.