What to Wear (Accounting for all weather)

EMorgz92

3 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

catsuits

Don't these create a certain logistical toilet complication?

I had a male friend who decided to wear one one year and nearly had a terrible, terrible accident upon reaching the longdrop in an emergency situation.

26 minutes ago, Mardy said:

You see, I really struggle with this. Shorts are my default, obviously, but I tend to change into jeans for the evening. Everyone’s saying a hard no to jeans, but what are the alternatives?

Those kind of ‘walking’ trousers you get from Millers etc are just pure awful and make me look some dodgy Scout Leader who’s definitely not to be trusted with the kids. Army surplus? Maybe, but I don’t want to look like an ex-member of the Levellers. Or, even worse, a current member. Then you enter the world of horrific lairy coloured fisherman’s trousers, where I might as well write ‘c**t’ on my forehead with a marker pen. 

Whole thing is a sartorial nightmare. 

I never wear shorts (my egyptian genes dictate I only wear trousers on hot sunny days) and never understand why people do- my legs never really get roasting, and all you're doing is risking sun burn for no net gain!

However instead of jeans, loose fit cargo trousers are what I wear- you can get different types (some thicker than others), so if you have the thinner ones they're fine if it's hot or if you need to put on waterproof trousers on top. Thicker ones are better if it's cold. This type of thing:

https://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_099010281943_-1

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Don't these create a certain logistical toilet complication?

I had a male friend who decided to wear one one year and nearly had a terrible, terrible accident upon reaching the longdrop in an emergency situation.

Hm I may end up sitting nekkid in the long drop which is an issue... but i'll probably only wear them at night so less likely to be seen sitting nekkid in the long drop.  They're just a tank top on the top bit so I don't think i'll have any issues getting them down in an emergency but can also see where things may get complicated... I may have to do a litmus test 

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My top tip for evening wear... base layers! I have them for running and they work brilliantly at Glastonbury. Just pop one under your t-shirt when it starts getting chilly and you’re away, stuck a hoodie on and you’re lovely and toasty.

You can pick them up for a couple of quid from Sports Direct too.

Couldn't agree more with base layers. I wear them for golf and are an absolute must for those chilly evenings at glasto even in 2010 it got surprisingly cold in the evenings

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don’t get the hatred for jeans. Perfectly fine to wear them all day in “normal” life, they don’t suddenly turn into a coat of armour when in a festival field. 

Shorts for the daytime. Jeans when it’s cold or at night. Done. 

Just now, nikkic said:

I don’t get the hatred for jeans. Perfectly fine to wear them all day in “normal” life, they don’t suddenly turn into a coat of armour when in a festival field.

But they do turn into an absolute ballache if they get wet and can't easily be dried.

Generally speaking in normal life you can go indoors when it starts raining, and sit in a nice heated room. No such luxury at Glastonbury.

Just now, incident said:

But they do turn into an absolute ballache if they get wet and can't easily be dried.

Generally speaking in normal life you can go indoors when it starts raining, and sit in a nice heated room. No such luxury at Glastonbury.

Well it’s not going to rain so their drying capabilities are irrelevant.

1 hour ago, MetaKate said:

Hm I may end up sitting nekkid in the long drop which is an issue... but i'll probably only wear them at night so less likely to be seen sitting nekkid in the long drop.  They're just a tank top on the top bit so I don't think i'll have any issues getting them down in an emergency but can also see where things may get complicated... I may have to do a litmus test 

There are times in life which, with hindsight, I wished my questions had been rhetorical.

?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I wear waterproof trousers. They look terrible, but I don't care. No-one else seems to wear them, but surely they're better than shorts in the evenings at least?

I wear them, chiefly as they mean you can sit on the ground when it's muddy, not bothered how they look! 

Though my friend once decided not to wear any trousers under his waterproof trousers and end up with cuts all down his thighs - ouch! 

Edited by Mr.Tease

19 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I am :) ...randomly the person im going with is a scout leader :) 

I should make it clear that i’m not disparaging the Scout Leader community, just saying that wearing those strides make me look like one of their more ..er... handsy brethren.

Jeans are a disaster waiting to happen. If we have another year like 2016 you would be fukked.

Shorts and layers. For waterproofs I favour the military type ponchos even on a lanky tawt like me they cover down to the knees so your shorts don't get wet, they are draughty though so you need those layers.

I take shorts & dresses, and a combination of leggings, & thick tights for when it gets a bit chillier. It’s easy and light to pack, & equips you for all eventualities.

There is a reason why this combo is a festival ‘look’ - it is actually very practical.

Top half - a couple of vests, a couple of T-shirts , a couple of hoodies and a waterproof that is actually waterproof.