2020 headliners

jj200

34 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Michael seems to think Neil Young might be playing next year. I’m not really expecting it to happen but that would fit in with Emily’s comment on them being 99% of the way there with an act who isn’t ususally rumoured. 

Ooh yes please*

*provided I get a ticket of course. Otherwise I hope it's The Ting Tings, Spice Girls and Coldplay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:
Michael seems to think Neil Young might be playing next year. I’m not really expecting it to happen but that would fit in with Emily’s comment on them being 99% of the way there with an act who isn’t ususally rumoured. 

Foals, Neil Young. Two down one to go.

6 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

All this Foals chat is surprising.

They’re no bigger than subbing in 2016. They’re durable, but they’ve passed the point it could have happened. Same with Biffy in 2017.

If anything, I’d put them as an Other headliner 2020 - like Tame Impala this year or QOTSA 2011. A huge contemporary rock force that could, at a push, top the bill but not really be so suited to Pyramid casuals but who will romp an Other slot.

I’m saying:

Arctics with 1975 sub

Madge / Fleetwood 

Mac

Elton in the legend slot. + Coldplay to do something big but not headline. Maybe open the Pyramid with a 50th anniversary special stripped back set.

They played to a massive crowd at the Pyramid in 2016 so how are they not suited? Much bigger to people in the UK than Tame Impala or QOTSA really. Anyway, people have only really started talking about them again because someone heard a rumour from an industry insider type that they are "in the frame" for 2020 and, well, they did a secret set so it shows a good relationship with the fest.

Your expectations for 2020 are way too high as well. It's not getting anywhere near that.

10 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

All this Foals chat is surprising.

They’re no bigger than subbing in 2016. They’re durable, but they’ve passed the point it could have happened. Same with Biffy in 2017.

If anything, I’d put them as an Other headliner 2020 - like Tame Impala this year or QOTSA 2011. A huge contemporary rock force that could, at a push, top the bill but not really be so suited to Pyramid casuals but who will romp an Other slot.

I’m saying:

Arctics with 1975 sub

Madge / Fleetwood 

Mac

Elton in the legend slot. + Coldplay to do something big but not headline. Maybe open the Pyramid with a 50th anniversary special stripped back set.

Yeah I'm thinking Coldplay to be on a TBA set like 3rd down Pyramid myself, they could do a set whether light or dark.

Foals to headline Other is probably a shout, unfortunately Pet Shops Boys probably too and I'd be talking to The Prodigy members and seeing they want to do a show with Keith's vocals pre done....think 2020 would be perfect for them to pull it out.

Edited by thewayiam

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They played to a massive crowd at the Pyramid in 2016 so how are they not suited? Much bigger to people in the UK than Tame Impala or QOTSA really. Anyway, people have only really started talking about them again because someone heard a rumour from an industry insider type that they are "in the frame" for 2020 and, well, they did a secret set so it shows a good relationship with the fest.

Your expectations for 2020 are way too high as well. It's not getting anywhere near that.

I would be rather surprised if Foals headlined before 1975.

The 1975 just seem like too much of a shoe in at this moment that I can’t see Foals doing it. Maybe 2021.

If something comes along to rule the 1975 out then maybe.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I would be rather surprised if Foals headlined before 1975.

The 1975 just seem like too much of a shoe in at this moment that I can’t see Foals doing it. Maybe 2021.

If something comes along to rule the 1975 out then maybe.

I would too but I'm just referencing the rumour for Foals (which, to be fair, @Mouseboy11 advised to take with a pinch of salt). I'd probably bet money on The 1975 over Foals right now but there is nothing for The 1975 and the way their manager and Matt Healy have spoken about potential Glastonbury slots, it doesn't seem like they're signed up.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I would too but I'm just referencing the rumour for Foals (which, to be fair, @Mouseboy11 advised to take with a pinch of salt). I'd probably bet money on The 1975 over Foals right now but there is nothing for The 1975 and the way their manager and Matt Healy have spoken about potential Glastonbury slots, it doesn't seem like they're signed up.

Sounds true but I could totally see the 1975 being in the frame a bit later. I think Glasto know that they are dying to do it and probably don’t feel the need to chase them. Plus Fleetwood Mac are going to say no again so when that happens that’s when there will probably be some movement.

The 1975, Neil Young, Foals would be an interesting trio. True glasto fans wouldn’t give a shit but it would definitely continue the Glasto is moving away from three superstar headliners every year narrative. I just can’t see it actually resorting to that, in the same way that I couldn’t see Stormzy, The Strokes, The Cure. Someone a la Killers (probably Coldplay) would get called up to sort out a trio like that.

Edited by Matt42

Surprised people think Madonna is a possibility - did anyone else see her appearance on Graham Norton a couple of weeks ago? She’s completely lost the plot and is way past the point of no return up her own backside.

Way too much risk of another Lauryn Hill-esque set for such an important year imo. 

Edited by Bixer

3 minutes ago, Bixer said:

Surprised people think Madonna is a possibility - did anyone else see her appearance on Graham Norton a couple of weeks ago? She’s completely lost the plot and is way past the point of no return up her own backside.

Way too much risk of another Lauryn Hill-esque set for such an important year imo. 

If they could negotiate her into playing (impossible imo) then they should 100% take the risk. 

Regardless of if she’s up to par or not Madonna playing would without a doubt be the biggest booking the festival has done. Rolling Stones, Bowie and Adele territory there. 

Watching Kylie on the tv solidified it for me that even if Madonna’s voice was shot to bits she would kill it. The amount of songs she has is endless.