2020 headliners

jj200

10 hours ago, gsansom said:

Genuinely do not understand the obsession with Taylor Swift. If she was any more vanilla she'd have a flake in her hair. Granted shes got a few decent tunes but dont get when we all suddenly put her on this plinth as the dream headliner, must see, etc. She strikes me as something of a culture vulture a la Ed Sheeran, "Today I'm urban, Today I care about the LGBT community" She doesn't even come across as particularly nice, always seems cold, calculating and fake nice. Anyway realise I'm leaving myself open to a wave of hate from the fanatics here but just speaking out loud as I am honestly bemused by the admiration for her on here. Not denying she has talent but give me Gaga or Pink any day of the week. They would beyond smash it. ((ducks))

If I could like this x10 I would 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Kendrick Lamar

Paul McCartney

Taylor Swift

All settled by the end of November?

Really happy with this mix, Macca is a must see for me, Taylor is a likely see and Kendrick is a huge booking but not my thing so I’m looking forward to months of speculation about the rest of the stages for the Friday. It’s shaping up well!

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Really?, you've got a headliner from a genre that can be very love it or hate it, Macca you can't really moan about and Taylor you can't deny but also we can't deny a shit load of tickets are sold to the parents takings their kids that aren't old enough to attend alone. It would be majorly disappointing in my eyes and definitely the turning point where I say that is my point....it screams exactly what I've been thinking for a while with the fest that's its edging way more an Instagram to be seen their festival/hugely more commercial now. Take Macca out and ignore the Friday this year where I had almost no headline option to see, I'd take The Cure and The Killers all day....they aren't both just getting booked for your next pop festival.

Music is genreless. The snobbery around pop music is dead. People don't define themselves as being in to indie, or in to rock, or in to pop, anymore. The days of big festivals always being headlined by white men with guitars are over. 

I don't think this means Glastonbury has become more commercial. It's just reflecting current musical tastes. 

Edited by ProperTea
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Music is genreless. The snobbery around pop music is dead. People don't define themselves as being in to indie, or in to rock, or in to pop, anymore. The days of big festivals always being headlined by white men with guitars are over. 

I don't think this means Glastonbury has become more commercial. It's just reflecting current musical tastes. 

I think, unfortunately, a lot of people still do. But it's their loss. Why waste your time with preconceptions and allegiances to genres when there's so much good shit out there? 

17 minutes ago, Baz178 said:

Anybody listening to Kendrick and getting a heavy OutKast influence ? Or his it just me ! 

I think youre sort of mixing up the west coast hip hop sound with what Outkast does, since theyre both funky/ jazzy and such. See who is on the tracks and youll see what he is drawing from. Ronald Isley, George Clinton, Thundercat, Kamasi Washington are just a few. Dr Dre/ NWA is his number 1 influence since he is from Compton after all. 

16 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I think youre sort of mixing up the west coast hip hop sound with what Outkast does, since theyre both funky/ jazzy and such. See who is on the tracks and youll see what he is drawing from. Ronald Isley, George Clinton, Thundercat, Kamasi Washington are just a few. Dr Dre/ NWA is his number 1 influence since he is from Compton after all. 

That's the scene he's in but he's obviously been influenced by Southern Rap.

7 minutes ago, Membi said:

I really hope the Kendrick Lamar rumour is real. He will be the best hiphop act of the history of Glasto (he will be better than Jay Z or Kanye for sure). 

This is my hope, after the backlash of Jay Z leading up to him and then the backlash leading up to Kanye and then after, the genre needs something to show it can be done. I'm hoping he smashes it, stage show, live band, the full works. 

12 hours ago, gsansom said:

Genuinely do not understand the obsession with Taylor Swift. If she was any more vanilla she'd have a flake in her hair. Granted shes got a few decent tunes but dont get when we all suddenly put her on this plinth as the dream headliner, must see, etc. She strikes me as something of a culture vulture a la Ed Sheeran, "Today I'm urban, Today I care about the LGBT community" She doesn't even come across as particularly nice, always seems cold, calculating and fake nice. Anyway realise I'm leaving myself open to a wave of hate from the fanatics here but just speaking out loud as I am honestly bemused by the admiration for her on here. Not denying she has talent but give me Gaga or Pink any day of the week. They would beyond smash it. ((ducks))

Okay fair enough, and its easy to see that you are not on your own with this opinion.  For any of you that are "bemused by the admiration for her on here" I would like to ask if any of you have ever seen her live?  Or even listened to her back catalogue at any length beyond her singles (some of which were questionable choices)?

You unfavourably compare her to Gaga or Pink - I have seen all 3 live within the last 16 months, so feel i am in a fairly reasonable position to judge them.  I saw Taylor on the Reputation Tour in Croke Park and it was easily one of the best concerts I have ever attended.  I then saw Gaga in Vegas earlier this year and she was also fantastic, and finally I saw Pink in Wembley this summer.  She also put on a superb show.

In my opinion they are all very talented, all put on excellent shows, all have loads of stone cold bangers, and I would love to see any of them at the Farm as the "pop" act - they would all smash it.  However, I firmly believe Taylor is without question way out ahead of the other 2 on practically every measure. 

You mention Taylor having "a few decent tunes"  It isn't even close!  Not being a big fan I was actually amazed with how many bangers Pink had, and she filled her set very well, but beyond the 23 tunes she played, it starts to thin out very rapidly.  Gaga was pretty much the same - amazing gig and so many hits, but you could pretty much predict the setlist for both these artists.  This is no criticism of either by the way.  Taylor on the other hand - there would be a core list of tacks that would be nailed on for her set, but her problem would literally be what to leave out.  She could easily play 2 nights with different songs each night and still smash it.

On the question of talent again she is streets ahead - there will be sections of her set where she will be playing the piano, while singing songs she wrote herself.  She will then be playing her guitar while singing on other songs.  Any one who has watched any of her acoustic sets will know what I mean - you wont see many of the others doing what she does anywhere near as well.

I even laughed when someone the other day lumped her in with Katy Perry and suggested that Taylor should have a similar slot. Katy Perry is not even in the same league - she doesn't play instruments, doesn't write her own stuff, is far more "manufactured" and again her back catalogue is not even remotely comparable.

I also get your point about her sometimes "not coming across very nice". I completely agree on that point and she really doesn't do herself any favours sometimes.  That being said, I am not overly bothered by that when judging an artist - to me it is the music and talent that matters and whether you like her or not, she has both in spades.

I am sounding a bit like a "fanatic" here ? - trust me I am not, but just trying to encourage some of you who may be sceptical to gave her a chance - I was sceptical 3/4 years ago and am now a huge fan. 

At the end of the day everyone has different tastes when it comes to music and the debates on here are whats makes this place so much fun.  However, whether you can appreciate her music or not, as a contemporary pop act, she is way out on her own at the moment and is undoubtedly one of the biggest acts that could be booked for Glasto 50.

I for one can't wait ?  ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, jparx said:

You can't really complain when a contemporary performing arts festival books the most important hip hop star on the planet, the most successful pop star of the decade and the biggest legend in rock music.

Yep, this is pretty much it. Chances are I’ll see only 1 given the likely Other Stage options but no objective arguments whatsoever. 

Edited by The Martini Police