The Strokes

RarerThanDandyB

1 hour ago, lobo said:

The strokes need to be there. Can’t believe they’ve never played the farm. Juice box and reptilia on the pyramid would be incredible. Make it happen Eavises ??

I could see them headlining the Other rather than on the Pyramid. don't think they're big enough for headlining, and subbing just seems a bit odd.

headlining the Other at the same time as Stormzy on the Pyramid would make sense.

16 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I could see them headlining the Other rather than on the Pyramid. don't think they're big enough for headlining, and subbing just seems a bit odd.

headlining the Other at the same time as Stormzy on the Pyramid would make sense.

It would make no sense. They’re gonna need to go light on the opposite stages to ensure a crowd for Stormzy as it is.

I've given both "Is This It" and "Room on Fire" a spin this weekend after reading all of this. Both great records

I hate to get too excited at the prospect of The Strokes playing, especially after the whole 2010 rumour in the days prior that I fell for, in that they were definitely playing a surprise set somewhere and seemingly ever steward on site seeming to say so as well. I enjoyed the Broken Social scene into Julian Casablancas segment on JP that sunday, after leaving the Bimble Inn where people were saying that Albert Hammond was the surprise guest playing that afternoon. 

I think if Glastonbury has them, they'll be on the Pyramid. I think they'd be perfect (and their egos would be happy with it) before The Cure on Sunday, even as an announced 'special guest'. Two similarly influential bands for different eras. 

The Cure, The Strokes, Lana Del Rey, Kylie Minogue, that's my pyramid finale prediction. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It would make no sense. They’re gonna need to go light on the opposite stages to ensure a crowd for Stormzy as it is.

Why though, seems a bit stupid to try and book the festival as poor as possible to ensure the headliner can draw. If anything that just highlight how poor a headliner he is if he cant draw anyone. 

I do t mibd Stormzy headlining but if theg are gonna do it then hes just gonna have to rely on what pull he can get and if its poor, its poor. 

Peiple are either fonna see Stormzy or they aint, I dont think the Strokes would make any more difference to say Chemical brothers in twrms if drawing people away though theyd get a bigger overall crowd. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Stormzy will draw 10s of thousands either way. every Pyramid headliner will. it's dark, the performers and TV cameras can't tell the difference between 30k and 60k. a LOT of people will have no interest in his brand of music, so putting a band like The Strokes on opposite will give the "grime is shit, where's the guitars" crew something to go to. if anything they need something relatively strong to stop the JP/WH/Park from being wedged (or are they going to book weak acts there too and expect everyone to just go to the Pyramid to see an act they don't care for as they've nothing better to be doing? :rolleyes: )

the idea that they're going to "go light" on what's on at the same time to give him a bigger crowd is utterly ridiculous.

Edited by ghostdancer1

16 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Stormzy will draw 10s of thousands either way. it's dark, the performers and TV cameras can't tell the difference between 30k and 60k. a LOT of people will have no interest in his brand of music, so putting a band like The Strokes on opposite will give the "grime is shit, where's the guitars" crew something to go to.

the idea that they're going to "go light" on what's on at the same time to give him a bigger crowd is utterly ridiculous.

They don’t just put on the festival for the TV viewers’ benefit. And I don’t mean, like, booking tiny acts on every other stage - just avoiding big draws like The Strokes, a Gallagher or, now, The Cure opposite him would be a sensible idea in not torpedoing their own risky booking. The guitar peeps would have somewhere to go if it was just someone like Wolf Alice headlining it. 

Anyway, if The Strokes aren’t big enough to headline and they aren’t getting the sort of money to make that not important then fuggedaboutit.

Edited by dentalplan

2 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I'm 50/50 about them headlining. I think if theyd kept touring regularly over the years theyd be locked in for the pyramid. They barely toured / promoted come down machine which definitely didnt help keeping them in the spotlight. The recent comeback tour announcement does imply theyre gearing up to  be a bit more active next year. If they knock out an amazing album before the gates open i can't see why they wont headline. 

Edited by lobo
typo

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Do people think they are going do this? Is there precedent for anything similar before?

2017 had some weird Other/Pyramid placings, Alt-J v Foos and Ed Sheeran v BBK seemed just odd to me. The former even more so when you consider Phoenix headlined JPT as well. Might suggest there isn't as much synergy between stage bookings as you think, at the end of the day if the bookers don't get their top targets they probably have to just make do with what they can get.

Stormzy/Wolf Alice/Hot Chip/Chvrches/JarvIs sounds like a feasible Friday night with a good spread of genres across the main stages without anything humongous to detract from Stormzy's booking.

Has there ever been a situation where the crowd on Other has been bigger than that on the Pyramid for a headline set? 

13 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Has there ever been a situation where the crowd on Other has been bigger than that on the Pyramid for a headline set? 

Not even close, or at least if it has happened it would have been a very long time ago.

Thing is, even a "disappointing" Pyramid crowd where people comment on how empty the field is (Arcade Fire and Metallica being probably the 2 most notable examples of recent years) will still have 60+ thousand people, which is still about a third more than the Other Stage field can hold. It'd have to be a genuinely shocking attendance at the Pyramid combined with a full to the brim Other Stage.

16 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They don’t just put on the festival for the TV viewers’ benefit. And I don’t mean, like, booking tiny acts on every other stage - just avoiding big draws like The Strokes, a Gallagher or, now, The Cure opposite him would be a sensible idea in not torpedoing their own risky booking. The guitar peeps would have somewhere to go if it was just someone like Wolf Alice headlining it. 

Anyway, if The Strokes aren’t big enough to headline and they aren’t getting the sort of money to make that not important then fuggedaboutit.

I know they don't put on the festival for TV viewer's benefit ffs. You said "They’re gonna need to go light on the opposite stages to ensure a crowd for Stormzy" - my point was that no-one will pick up on a smaller than normal crowd because of a decent opposing act on the Other. There's still going to be 30k+ at a Pyramid headline slot no matter what. the artist won't pick up on it as it's dark (not that they would likely care anyway), and neither can the TV cameras. so no-one is going to be any the wiser. GFL have no need to "ensure a crowd" for him.

outside of people on here, pretty much no-one knows or cares about the difference between Metallica getting 40k (or whatever) and Adele getting 80k, etc.

57 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I know they don't put on the festival for TV viewer's benefit ffs. You said "They’re gonna need to go light on the opposite stages to ensure a crowd for Stormzy" - my point was that no-one will pick up on a smaller than normal crowd because of a decent opposing act on the Other. There's still going to be 30k+ at a Pyramid headline slot no matter what. the artist won't pick up on it as it's dark (not that they would likely care anyway), and neither can the TV cameras. so no-one is going to be any the wiser. GFL have no need to "ensure a crowd" for him.

outside of people on here, pretty much no-one knows or cares about the difference between Metallica getting 40k (or whatever) and Adele getting 80k, etc.

Okay. Fair view. I personally don't think they'll load the Other Stage up with some alternative major headliner on Friday night, and feel extra confident they won't do it with The Strokes, but each to thurr own.

14 hours ago, incident said:

Not even close, or at least if it has happened it would have been a very long time ago.

Thing is, even a "disappointing" Pyramid crowd where people comment on how empty the field is (Arcade Fire and Metallica being probably the 2 most notable examples of recent years) will still have 60+ thousand people, which is still about a third more than the Other Stage field can hold. It'd have to be a genuinely shocking attendance at the Pyramid combined with a full to the brim Other Stage.

I can't remember there ever being a completely full-to-the-path Other stage headliner. Certainly not any that I've been to, anyway

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I can't remember there ever being a completely full-to-the-path Other stage headliner. Certainly not any that I've been to, anyway

Not Other Headliner, but Flo on the Other in 2010 (#yoth) was fucking RAMMED from where I was stood. And I was pretty far back and very close to the path / food stalls at the back. 

37 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Went past Chemical Brothers a few years ago and that looked rammed.

There was definitely space at the back more towards the left hand side but yes, Chemical Brothers pulled as big a headline crowd as I've ever seen on that stage. Usually you can get good shape pulling space from the sound tower and beyond 

9 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Liam G and Rag N Bone man last year prob got bigger crowds than any other headliners. I remember trying to get through the back of the field during Rag N Bone man and the crowd was right back to the path. Alt J had about a third of that crowd that when they headlined the stage.

Rag N Bone man was into the camping.

14 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Liam G and Rag N Bone man last year prob got bigger crowds than any other headliners. I remember trying to get through the back of the field during Rag N Bone man and the crowd was right back to the path. Alt J had about a third of that crowd that when they headlined the stage.

Yeah, I arranged to meet my wife by that stage after Dropkick Murphys , turned out to be just before Rag and Bone man came on, big mistake.

Managed to find her, crowd was absolutely rammed, escaped through the camping. Crowds were standing in amongst everyone’s tents, chaos.