Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

Did a 6k on Thursday but that followed 4 lazy days mainly due to similar reasons as given above (i.e. booze and general Christmassy stuff getting in the way). Was back out today and did 10k. 

I've found a 10k run on hogmanay and have signed up for it, really looking forward to my first 'race' proper. My plan after today is to keep to 5k and 6k runs between now and then given that I'm comfortable with the 10k distance mentally. 

Just had what was likely to be my last long run of the year, as festivities are very likely to get in the way now. 14km so a nice distance, just going to try and fit in lots of short, quick runs in over the next week and a bit to keep the fitness ticking over. Weighed myself for the last time today before the food onslaught starts, final weight loss count of the year clocks in at 4 stone and 2 pounds! Merry Christmas you healthy lot!

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ran a half marathon today, not an official one but still 13.1 miles. Pretty chuffed with it as due to a mixture of illness and festive excess my running has been in the toilet last few weeks. Needed a big one to stop myself worrying about my fitness going and managed to deliver.

Feeling it now though.

Nice one, always good to keep the fitness plodding along even through the festive period, feel less guilty about eating your bodyweight in pigs in blankets then, or is that just me? 

Squeezing in one final gym session in on my lunch break tomorrow in work, nothing too heavy as it would be typical for me to strain something on Christmas Eve. Hoping to get 100kg for reps on my bench by the end of January but that's feeling optimistic with how my diet has been the last few weeks. 

• Upvote 1

No post on here since Christmas Eve?! :O 

Yeah, my fitness has gone steadily into reverse for a couple of years now. If I added up the weight I've lost over the last 10 years or so, it's probably not far off the combined weight of the Polyphonic Spree. I do have me sensible periods but it's been a while. When I'm in the right mood, I can do bloody well and I have done more times than I care to remember but after a while I either lose interest or get overcome with impostor syndrome. It's such a familiar patten, I've never had a good relationship with food, I'm a habitual self-sabateur who's always knackered. Know enough from experience from enough lapsed exercise regimes how quickly energy can build up again, but don't remember the first step ever being as daunting as it is now. Got a lot of bad habits to break, no pattern as far as work goes and a standard of mental health that leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway, soz for the ramble, just wanted to throw it out there and ask you all what motivates you and how you stay motivated, if any of you have any tips for how to make a start replenishing your energy. Yeah I've done it loads of times and had great results short term, but long term it's always the same.

17 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

[...] ask you all what motivates you and how you stay motivated, if any of you have any tips for how to make a start replenishing your energy. Yeah I've done it loads of times and had great results short term, but long term it's always the same.

Good question, not sure I have the answer or an easy answer. My motivation comes from multiple things, I think. 

What helps for me is that it is an integral part of my life. I'm doing track and course since I was very young and never stopped. Last 10 years I only do running. I have a 400m track basically on my doorstep, very convenient, passing it on a daily basis. So, I can't imagine life without it?

Secondly, I am part of a running group. Lot's of older man actually (50+, but rejuvinating recently), but still good fun, I know them well. This makes it a social event as well, they help you push harder, and you want to beat them during races of course.

I participate regularly in local races, which helps to set goals. This of course motivates to keep going. I also meet people from my group and you don't wanna look bad of course. My running watch helps keeping track or everything and has recently added an extra form of motivation. I'm still of age that there's room for improvement. And than I pick some bigger events (often longer distances too) in which you want to perform especially well.

Lastly I just enjoy running while doing it and also the satisfaction afterwards. Going outside, getting some fresh air. But I too have some difficulties going out of the house, especially in the morning and in the winter. I know I need it to stay away from a downward spiral. Need to keep moving as well, and need the light. So if not running, I do 3-5k walks.

Guess you don't have troubles setting goals, but actually going out and achieving them. Having a trainer and/or a group really helps, and meet some nice people along the way.

On 11/14/2018 at 9:21 PM, Quark said:

That's how I do it now, so I go straight from bench into a hang clean & military press.  Short on time so I just do compound work these days rather than isolation sets.

One thing I have found is that since I've tweaked my form around a bit I'm much better able to avoid using the front delts for my bench, so I'm fresher for the shoulder work.  The other option I've tried is to change the order around, so some mornings I'll hit the shoulder first and then go onto the bench.

You might have come across him already, but I find Jeff Cavaliere has some really useful technique and form videos on his Athlean-X youtube channel.  It's really helped with my form, and some of his advice is starting to correct years of abuse to my shoulders and upper back!

Had two weeks break, getting back to the gym today. As I say when you reach 60 it gets tougher

IMG_1172.jpg

Festivities well and truly got in the way of my planned, striped back, exercise routine, also the middle of the night cramp inflicting my calf that didn't then shift for three days did not help matters! Finally got back out in the fresh air yesterday for a 8.5 mile run which felt fantastic, my legs are not thanking me today though. Normal routine will be reinstated on Thursday so hopefully no serious damage done to fitness levels over the break. Hope everyone managed to stay mostly on track over Christmas?

Hope everyone had a good Christmas!

Managed to get a parkrun done on Saturday whilst on hols in Perth. Jesus christ it was hot!

Struggled with the heat but managed to finish 12th which I was more than happy with.

Now we are in 2019 does anyone have any fitness related goals?

On 12/29/2018 at 10:39 AM, StupidDream said:

Good question, not sure I have the answer or an easy answer. My motivation comes from multiple things, I think. 

What helps for me is that it is an integral part of my life. I'm doing track and course since I was very young and never stopped. Last 10 years I only do running. I have a 400m track basically on my doorstep, very convenient, passing it on a daily basis. So, I can't imagine life without it?

Secondly, I am part of a running group. Lot's of older man actually (50+, but rejuvinating recently), but still good fun, I know them well. This makes it a social event as well, they help you push harder, and you want to beat them during races of course.

I participate regularly in local races, which helps to set goals. This of course motivates to keep going. I also meet people from my group and you don't wanna look bad of course. My running watch helps keeping track or everything and has recently added an extra form of motivation. I'm still of age that there's room for improvement. And than I pick some bigger events (often longer distances too) in which you want to perform especially well.

Lastly I just enjoy running while doing it and also the satisfaction afterwards. Going outside, getting some fresh air. But I too have some difficulties going out of the house, especially in the morning and in the winter. I know I need it to stay away from a downward spiral. Need to keep moving as well, and need the light. So if not running, I do 3-5k walks.

Guess you don't have troubles setting goals, but actually going out and achieving them. Having a trainer and/or a group really helps, and meet some nice people along the way.

That sounds great, I wish I actually enjoyed running. Used to cycle but between a hit and run, repairs more expensive than the bus and a theft I've given up. Wish I'd immersed myself in summat like that a bit younger, I'm 35 but my brain's telling me I'm an old dog that can't learn new tricks. I know that's ridiculous, it's nowhere near too late to start. Just need to battle my brain, which I've been trying to do for years!

On 12/28/2018 at 5:14 PM, RichardWaller said:

No post on here since Christmas Eve?! :O 

Yeah, my fitness has gone steadily into reverse for a couple of years now. If I added up the weight I've lost over the last 10 years or so, it's probably not far off the combined weight of the Polyphonic Spree. I do have me sensible periods but it's been a while. When I'm in the right mood, I can do bloody well and I have done more times than I care to remember but after a while I either lose interest or get overcome with impostor syndrome. It's such a familiar patten, I've never had a good relationship with food, I'm a habitual self-sabateur who's always knackered. Know enough from experience from enough lapsed exercise regimes how quickly energy can build up again, but don't remember the first step ever being as daunting as it is now. Got a lot of bad habits to break, no pattern as far as work goes and a standard of mental health that leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway, soz for the ramble, just wanted to throw it out there and ask you all what motivates you and how you stay motivated, if any of you have any tips for how to make a start replenishing your energy. Yeah I've done it loads of times and had great results short term, but long term it's always the same.

Take each day as it comes , I can’t think long term as that’s all too daunting, but at the start of 2018 I finally found an exercise I enjoy and I think that’s the key, whatever it is, running, badminton, yoga , you have to enjoy it. For me it was CrossFit and Olympic lifting classses , never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be into that but I love it. 

Get back on the healthy eating bandwagon, and exercise a little each day and the rest will come , and something will click .. good luck 

Walking has always been my go to excersise cos I love a good long tramp. I've recently found out that I've got high blood pressure and high cholesterol so I need to step it up a bit.

So I'm just at the end of week 2 of a couch to 5k. I'm not a natural runner but it's definitely helping boost my day to day energy levels and also easing the guilt of the festive gluttony.

17 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

Doesn't help that I'm surrounded by hills so everywhere I run is difficult, no matter what pace I go.

I feel your pain. Same here in Pilton. Can’t run more than 100 feet before we have a hill. One of my favourite runs is 3 miles of hills. Up and down every damn one in the village. Killer but makes the hills easier .....or so they tell me ....

Sooooo then, getting away from 100km super runs.... I'm still laid up somewhat with tendinopathy in one foot and plantar fasciitis in the other, so unable to do any walking/running etc. What muscles can I work to avoid the dreaded aches and pains and exhaustion of a Glastonbury Festival? I think my glutes are quite weak so there's a start.

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

New Year and back onto the fitness wagon 

Yeh, I'm back on it tonight....Spinning at 5pm and then free weights/yoga tomorrow AM

Not gonna lie, I'm dreading spinning! It's been a good fortnight since I did an exercise class ? 

Edited by Sasperella

Another 13.1 miles today which I’m pretty pleased about. Did it in two hours, four minutes too which is pretty good for me on a training run - my PB for a half marathon under race conditions is 1 hr 57.

Most encouraging is that I felt I still had a little more in the tank. Could have gone further but my feet were aching to buggery as I’m breaking in a new pair of shoes.

Back from Perth now and definitely / noticeably put on a few kg's whilst over there.

10km at the gym tonight to get back into it.

Entered my first race of 2019 yesterday which will be the Longleat 10km on 3rd Feb.

Need to enter races in order to give myself motivation!

Ended the year on a bit of a low point, came down ill after Christmas and had to pull out the hogmanay 10k. In total with Christmas etc and not being well I went two weeks without running. Got back into it this weekend though and was out on Saturday (7.5k) and Sunday (6k), legs are feeling a bit tired today but not too bad at all given the break. Planning to get back out tomorrow and do a 10k