The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

I've been trying to rain-test a new Craghopper lightweight jacket all week in Co Antrim here - despite there being deluges all around Belfast and further north than where we live I haven't caught a rain shower yet. This jacket's rain-proofing is clearly on a different level in as much as it is clearing clouds above me so it's 100% coming to Somerset in the bag. 

Edited by rubick

14 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Just a reminder to everyone that the WEATHERCOASTER can go down as well as up, and we're a long way out still. 2005's flash flood didn't appear in any forecasts until the Sunday before the festival. 

Anyone talking about 'not taking wellies' can do one. 

Sooooooo much this.

At this point it's tempting to cling to positive forecasts like tender lovers, but it's gonna keep changing so don't get too attached. Don't sign yourself up for the pain! Every new extreme is an extreme and we'll get something wandering in the middle

17 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Just a reminder to everyone that the WEATHERCOASTER can go down as well as up, and we're a long way out still. 2005's flash flood didn't appear in any forecasts until the Sunday before the festival. 

Anyone talking about 'not taking wellies' can do one. 

Ba humbug

Hate to ruin everyone day but the met seem to be predicting the opposite? here's the long term forecast...

Unsettled weather dominates on Monday with a band of heavy rain pushing northeastwards across the northern half of the UK, but with heavy showers breaking out in parts of the south. There's a risk of thunderstorms bringing some torrential downpours across central and eastern England where it could be very warm. This unsettled theme continues through the middle of the week, with further bouts of heavy rain and thunderstorms likely, especially for central and eastern areas. As we approach the end of June there may be more in the way of dry and settled weather, with temperatures mostly near normal, but warm at times in the southeast. However, by early July more unsettled conditions with showers or perhaps some longer spells of rain may return to northwestern areas.

1 minute ago, Radi0Head said:

Hate to ruin everyone day but the met seem to be predicting the opposite? here's the long term forecast...

Unsettled weather dominates on Monday with a band of heavy rain pushing northeastwards across the northern half of the UK, but with heavy showers breaking out in parts of the south. There's a risk of thunderstorms bringing some torrential downpours across central and eastern England where it could be very warm. This unsettled theme continues through the middle of the week, with further bouts of heavy rain and thunderstorms likely, especially for central and eastern areas. As we approach the end of June there may be more in the way of dry and settled weather, with temperatures mostly near normal, but warm at times in the southeast. However, by early July more unsettled conditions with showers or perhaps some longer spells of rain may return to northwestern areas.

To me it seems northern/eastern/central parts are at most risk which is what the trend has been saying anyway. I don’t think it’s gonna be perfect for us but I think it’s gonna be better than that. I mean really somewhere in the middle of extreme high temp and that rain is ok for me

3 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

Just as well Pilton isn't Central or Eastern ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I am now shitting it. I have waited 2 years for this. A heatwave could make me ill. Genuinely worried for my health.

Bastard.

Mrs Inuit and my mate are in a similar position.  Both have asthma and/or dust allergies so high temps and a dustbowl wouldn't be the best for them so I share your concern!

This is a bit pricey but would something like this be useful? - https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Revit-Cooling-Vest-Liquid/SubProducts/Revit-Cooling-Vest-Liquid-0005&Currency=GBP&Locale=en_GB&utm_source=connexity&utm_medium=productlisting&utm_campaign=CON_GB&iccm=CON_GB

That GFS 00Z just made me happy! 2010 was my first and incredible, it was hot but just made drinking cider in the sun even better, just take a hat and keep hydrated, much prefer being able to dash around everywhere in decent boots, i'd much rather have 2010 than 2016 weather.

still taking wellies though, don't want to annoy the weather gods 

Edited by dan05delaney

Netweather: "By Thursday/Friday, there's pretty much a 50/50 split between a) members returning to normal or slightly below-normal and b) insanely hot runs never seen before in the UK, threatening the June temperature record and some maybe even the 100F mark. "

26 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

Which was written yesterday based on runs then not now. 

1 minute ago, briddj said:

Netweather: "By Thursday/Friday, there's pretty much a 50/50 split between a) members returning to normal or slightly below-normal and b) insanely hot runs never seen before in the UK, threatening the June temperature record and some maybe even the 100F mark. "

Posters on Netweather....

Horror-movie-gifs-horror-movies-39291058

4 minutes ago, briddj said:

Is it wrong that I'd prefer normal weather over record breaking temps?  Don't get me wrong, I love the heat but I like it when I'm poolside with a cocktail in hand.  30 degrees at Glastonbury would be quite a challenge

I have bought a waterproof jacket with 5000 HH waterproofing! It was far more expensive that I could really afford - surely this guarantees sunshine!

Also I am on early shifts (Sat to Weds) which appear to have no chance of dodging the draft so it will be needed tbf - happy to take one for the team for a dry festival to follow!

Just now, Kinkyinuit said:

Is it wrong that I'd prefer normal weather over record breaking temps?  Don't get me wrong, I love the heat but I like it when I'm poolside with a cocktail in hand.  30 degrees at Glastonbury would be quite a challenge

100 farenheit is 38 celsius 

30 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I am now shitting it. I have waited 2 years for this. A heatwave could make me ill. Genuinely worried for my health.

Bastard.

I'm no fan of high heat either, I just melt. Get a parasol brolly with full UV protection and the shiny top to reflect all the IR it can, and look at the UV proof hot weather trekking trousers and wicking uv proof hiking tops - with a constant supply of water you can be effectively out of the sun in a nice breeze and a drink anywhere and it's all ok.

Have checked the rest of this stuff in a Utah summertime, but the brolly is a major upgrade.