Can't say I'm excited with what's announced so far but hey...let's try to stay positive! RW didn't succeed in selling out (80.000 of 88.000 tickets sold) on thursday last year with Gorillaz and QOTSA co-headlining. surely, they will have another big name up their sleave to co-/sub-headline with Pink. Kendrick...gave it a go at Pukkelpop2018 but that wasn't thrilling at all. Not even the biggest fans were all positive about his "performance". I'm not a hiphop-fan or expert but...damn, Anderson Paak in the Barn last  year, that was something else! Hope they give Kendrick a miss. Pink and Kendrick vs QOTSA and Gorillaz....would be a big disappointment (for me).

6 minutes ago, DaveRSV4 said:

Can't say I'm excited with what's announced so far but hey...let's try to stay positive! RW didn't succeed in selling out (80.000 of 88.000 tickets sold) on thursday last year with Gorillaz and QOTSA co-headlining. surely, they will have another big name up their sleave to co-/sub-headline with Pink. Kendrick...gave it a go at Pukkelpop2018 but that wasn't thrilling at all. Not even the biggest fans were all positive about his "performance". I'm not a hiphop-fan or expert but...damn, Anderson Paak in the Barn last  year, that was something else! Hope they give Kendrick a miss. Pink and Kendrick vs QOTSA and Gorillaz....would be a big disappointment (for me).

If Kendrick comes to Werchter, I hope he mixes it up a bit. From what I've heard his festival shows last year were just compacted and trimmed versions of his arena set (which was fantastic). It'd be nice to get something a bit more exciting from him, he's more than capable of it

I am curious what will Mad Cool/Nos Alive will have as headliners and will they share them with Rock Werchter this year. Pink has a concert that weekend in july. The Cure is in Greece on July 17th so it seems unlikely. Nos Alive had Mumford and Sons in 2015 so they might return. Muse had already announced a concert in Madrid but not in Brussels. Festicket had just opened the facebook event for Mad Cool 2019 so they might have some announcement in a few weeks as well. 

Edited by birchtree29

Rock Werchter act out of its regular way. Is it a way to get back to a sold out festival?

Not only early announcement and ticket sale but also announcing acts first, before other European festivals announce them (though I'm pretty sure they didn't pay  M&S and Pink for announcing first like some festivals do). 

Still curious why RW is in the same weekend as Glastonbury. You'd expect them to share headliners, would they do that for The Cure and maybe Kendrick? Or there's a suprising name in the mix we don't know of (perhaps not even at Glastonbury) that want to play that particular weekend.

I'm gonna say something weird now: the Tour de France (one of the biggest sport events on the planet) starts in Brussels the week you'd normally expect RW. Could this be of an influence and that we are reading too much into the move?

31 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

I am curious what will Mad Cool/Nos Alive will have as headliners and will they share them with Rock Werchter this year. Pink has a concert that weekend in july. The Cure is in Greece on July 17th so it seems unlikely. Nos Alive had Mumford and Sons in 2015 so they might return. Muse had already announced a concert in Madrid but not in Brussels. Festicket had just opened the facebook event for Mad Cool 2019 so they might have some announcement in a few weeks as well. 

Mumfords thankfully have a gig in Lisbon in April which has been on sale for a while and there's tickets available for every section of the arena.  This hopefully means they won't be at NOS.  Also Pink is in Germany over the weekend of NOS so it looks very unlikely she'll be there.  I'd think NOS will get the Cure but no idea who other two headliners will be.

7 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

I'm gonna say something weird now: the Tour de France (one of the biggest sport events on the planet) starts in Brussels the week you'd normally expect RW. Could this be of an influence and that we are reading too much into the move?

Not sure of the dates of the Tour de France, it could be quite plausible though. I remember couple of years ago sziget moving from Saturday to Saturday, to Wednesday to Wednesday due to the Hungarian Grand Prix on the previous Sunday.

It worked for Sziget as they carried on with the Wednesday to Wednesday dates.

1 minute ago, thetime said:

Not sure of the dates of the Tour de France, it could be quite plausible though. I remember couple of years ago sziget moving from Saturday to Saturday, to Wednesday to Wednesday due to the Hungarian Grand Prix on the previous Sunday.

It worked for Sziget as they carried on with the Wednesday to Wednesday dates.

First stage of Tour de France is Saturday 6th of July. Both Saturday's and Sunday's stage will start and finish in Brussels. It's not Werchter or Leuven of course (nor will they pass through the area), but Belgium is not that big and they love cycling. But the whole event will essentially start on the Thursday with team presentation etc. It will draw a lot of attention. 

16 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

First stage of Tour de France is Saturday 6th of July. Both Saturday's and Sunday's stage will start and finish in Brussels. It's not Werchter or Leuven of course (nor will they pass through the area), but Belgium is not that big and they love cycling. But the whole event will essentially start on the Thursday with team presentation etc. It will draw a lot of attention. 

Perhaps it’s more to do with competition with Roskikde, open’er and exit of the top of my head first weekend of July. Would make economical sense to go on a different weekend, especially as they struggled to sell out last year. 

Edited by thetime

44 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Mumfords thankfully have a gig in Lisbon in April which has been on sale for a while and there's tickets available for every section of the arena.  This hopefully means they won't be at NOS.  Also Pink is in Germany over the weekend of NOS so it looks very unlikely she'll be there.  I'd think NOS will get the Cure but no idea who other two headliners will be.

Good catch. Besides Mumfords, Muse seems unlikely for Mad Cool/Nos alive if their lisbon and madrid concerts are a part of their stadium tour. I am not aure about The Cure though. Will they do Madrid and Lisbon 11-14 then fly to Greece on 17th and have a concert there? It is more than a 4 hour flight from Lisbon to athens

28 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

Good catch. Besides Mumfords, Muse seems unlikely for Mad Cool/Nos alive if their lisbon and madrid concerts are a part of their stadium tour. I am not aure about The Cure though. Will they do Madrid and Lisbon 11-14 then fly to Greece on 17th and have a concert there? It is more than a 4 hour flight from Lisbon to athens

I'm confused by what you're saying about The Cure. Are you saying they won't play a show 4 hours away with a 3-6 day gap?

1 hour ago, StupidDream said:

That's very plausible! There must be a great need for security/policemen in event as big as that. A few years ago one of Werchter events was canceled IIRC because the police couldn't  provide enough men to secure the event as it was on a holiday or something like that. 

29 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I'm confused by what you're saying about The Cure. Are you saying they won't play a show 4 hours away with a 3-6 day gap?

No they can do that but logically it seems unreasonable to think that they will go from Lisbon to Athens. Last year, Arctic Monkeys had a similar situation and they went to Greece on 6th, Werchter on 8th, Lyon on 10th, Madrid on 12th and end their tour on Lisbon on 13th.

26 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

No they can do that but logically it seems unreasonable to think that they will go from Lisbon to Athens. Last year, Arctic Monkeys had a similar situation and they went to Greece on 6th, Werchter on 8th, Lyon on 10th, Madrid on 12th and end their tour on Lisbon on 13th.

But if it's enforced by the dates festivals in certain cities fall on then there's not much they can do, is there? That may be the only festival in Greece they can do and Mad Cool etc will probably be offering them the biggest fees to play in Spain/Portugal.

2 hours ago, e2p2 said:

That's very plausible! There must be a great need for security/policemen in event as big as that. A few years ago one of Werchter events was canceled IIRC because the police couldn't  provide enough men to secure the event as it was on a holiday or something like that. 

Rihanna, Werchter Boutique, 21th of july 2016

The official version of the story is that they couldn't provide enough police to garantee the safety, because the 21th of july is also the national holiday. 

Unofficial sources said it was cancelled because the ticket sales were very poor. So they passed the act to Pukkelpop.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:19 PM, e2p2 said:

Secu/Police is not an issue (also for the cancelled Riri gig). It's all about accomodation/logistics.
One example: For the Tour ASO claims all hotels in a wide range of Brussels (even Belgium). All teams + 500 tv crew + 600 promo caravan + ASO crew + 2000 journalists + TDF fans from outside Belgium.
RW need that hotels too. It won't work out.

It's a bit vague,  but Tool is rumoured for Werchter. It's on a Dutch forum from some guys that seemed to have good info on previous occassions. Just have to wait and see (perhaps announced this/next week?), Tool is probably rumoured every year. 

Plus a June stadium gig in The Netherlands.

Edited by StupidDream