I can't go to Glastonbury anymore

Crazycatlady1969

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've been through a breakup you need something nice in your life now, something to look forward to, something to take your mind of the change in your life.  One of the great things about a festival like Glastonbury is that for a few days you are transported beyond your normal world, where you are surrounded by reminders of what is bringing you down and forced into a different state of mind where your new priorities are more direct and short term, such as which act to see, where to wander to and whether it really is time for that 7th cider of the afternoon.

I say go for it.

I would go. I just think it's better than not going. When I'm there I tend to spend a lot of time on my own and really enjoy it. That's partly because I like a lot of different bands. However I do like to come back to a few people at the end of the day or even during the day to chat about what we've all seen.

So I'd say take up any of the offers on here, even if it's just to have a bit of a base to camp and then get out and do as much as you can. This year I'm on my own for a day before a friend arrives. Quite looking forward to exploring.

12 hours ago, Crazycatlady1969 said:

Thanks everyone for replying...I'm incredibly shy & not good at meeting new people, so the thought of going it alone scares the crap out of me!! I hate that I can't sell my ticket to someone who really wants to go...my ex still wants us to be friends & still wants to go with me, but I'm really not sure what to do..I always thought if I ever went to Glasto that it would be with someone special to share the amazing time with them :(

there is no better time or place to face your fears and become a new person 

tell your ex to do one, all this lets stay mate business , judging by you saying you are pretty messed up and how he still wants to be friends I am guessing it is him who suggested splitting up.  you should go , come camp with me and my friends if need be. camp with the going solo crew. 

when you are old and grey you will regret things you never did not the chances you took and the amazing time you had

I would like to add my name to the long list of people saying you should give it a go.

As one or two have already said, you would regret not going and look back on it and wonder why you didn't. The thought of watching it on TV and thinking your ex is still going cant sound very appealing? He gets to go still, why cant you?

I've been going since 1990, I come away every year feeling far more positive about life and the world. This forum is little biased as we are all here because we love the place. Every single time I sit down at Glastonbury I end up in a conversation with somebody and its always a good experience.

Oh my god! I can't believe how lovely you've all been! I've never been on a chat site before & I'm amazed you've all given me the feels big time...I have no clue how to reply to you all individually though, but thank you all! xx I am gonna take some time to think about it as I know it could be a once in a lifetime experience...I am scared a little as I don't touch the drugs & I do drink, but I don't get messy! I'm a 47 year Young woman...I guess you lose more confidence as you get older & all these experiences become more of a hassle...but I am gonna give it some more thought...thanks again! xxxx

12 minutes ago, Crazycatlady1969 said:

Oh my god! I can't believe how lovely you've all been! I've never been on a chat site before & I'm amazed you've all given me the feels big time...I have no clue how to reply to you all individually though, but thank you all! xx I am gonna take some time to think about it as I know it could be a once in a lifetime experience...I am scared a little as I don't touch the drugs & I do drink, but I don't get messy! I'm a 47 year Young woman...I guess you lose more confidence as you get older & all these experiences become more of a hassle...but I am gonna give it some more thought...thanks again! xxxx

We are going from Leeds.

You should definitely give this more thought because I think you will regret not going. You have done the hard part getting a ticket. Its the best place on earth!

11 minutes ago, Crazycatlady1969 said:

I don't do drugs either and don't drink huge amounts there as I like to not be too hungover haha! So don't let that put you off :) do come back when you've decided as I'm sure we'd love to find out whether you're going! 

9 minutes ago, Crazycatlady1969 said:

I'm not going to re-iterate what others have said, and you have to come to this decision in your own time. However, I feel quite confident in saying that if you decide to go and experience this most joyous of places, you will be scrabbling around for tickets for the next one with the rest of us!!

P.S. I hope you go and have a blast, it really is the best place on earth for those 5 days in June :)

12 minutes ago, Crazycatlady1969 said:

...but I am gonna give it some more thought...thanks again! xxxx

Whatever you do, DON'T GO...!!

... unless you're prepared to have the greatest, most life-affirming, transformative, positive-reinforcing experience of your life, which just might prove to be a very healing and helpful step along the way to getting over your troubles. :D

We'll all be there on hand to help out as needed (these boards don't stop during the festival.... mostly) so you are not going on your own at all, just with 180,000 friends that you've only just met.

Don't sell you ticket CrazyCatLady, you'll have a wonderful time, I can't think of anywhere else in the world where I'd feel as comfortable on my own. I love the group I go with, but it's so nice splitting off & doing your own thing. I promise it'll be great x

Um, you have to go sorry

You will join this forum and start talking to various lovely people. You will join camp solo and meet lovely people, during the weekend you will bring two people together. They will go off and have a lovely child, that child will grow into the person who finds cures to lots of nasty deseases. That in turn will stop a person dying who will be able to persuade governments to reverse global warming and the world will become a better place to be in.

So not to sound too dramatic but the world is counting on you

As others have said, it's worth giving it a go. To give a slightly different perspective, even if you're shy enough or have enough social anxiety that you don't even really feel comfortable with meeting up with strangers then that's fine. There's enough going on to keep you busy and occupied the entire weekend. Were this years ago I might have suggested not going down until later on the Thursday as the pre-bands days could get a bit lonely on your own, but these days there's so much going on even on those days you'll keep yourself busy. It's essentially like visiting a city on your own - you can spend a few days site-seeing and exploring without even having to interact with people if you'd rather not. (With the added bonus that you don't have to worry about stumbling into the "bad" part of town).

Also, it'll be considered sacrilege by some on here, but modern technology is very good. Take a phone charger and ensure you've got some data allowance. If it does all get a bit much for you there's absolutely no shame in retreating to your tent and taking a few hours to catch up on social media, chat to friends in the real world and re-center yourself that way. There's no one there to judge you, and you don't have to turn it into a big adventure if you don't want to. It can just be somewhere you pop away for the weekend to and watch a few bands, no big deal.

53 minutes ago, Crazycatlady1969 said:

More thought?

Get your gear packed and get yourself down to Somerset.

I had 12 years away from the place and got back there last year. I've done at least one festival every year in between and seen hundreds of bands. Nothing, but nothing, compares to waking up and looking across the site, or sitting on the hill at night and seeing all the lights.

My new other half went for the first time last year and was distraught about not getting tickets in October. We've now got them and it's the only topic of evening conversation!

There are some great folk I've met over the years from eFests and others I've just talked to at Glasto and beyond when I've wandered off on my own.

22nd June, you must be heading through those gates.

17 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Best advice I reckon is go, but with a get out if you need it. You can't get your money back now so if you don't go you'll just be thinking "what if?" 

Go - whether it be via camp solo on here, or just on your todd and camp wherever (I'd suggest camp solo as they're all from here so very minute chance of any n#bheads) - and if by Friday you realise you've made a mistake you can always leave if needed. At least you'll know you've done the right thing by trying rather than wondering for ever if you did. 

Beat me to it Scruff.  That's three times in the past month we've agreed; is this one of the signs of the apocalypse?

But yes crazycatlady, I would go.  If you go the worst thing that happens is that you get there, try it, don't really enjoy it and go back home again.  But you've given it a crack. The best thing that happens is you have an amazing time, forget your troubles (even if only for a few days) and give your soul a much needed once-over.

Sure people have already said about the eFests meets that are set up for us all to hook up and drink and talk rubbish, but there'll be chances to meet people.  And wandering around on your own is the BEST fun! You might just discover a few things about yourself that you never knew.

Edited by Quark

Great thread everyone.

@Crazycatlady1969, although I know it must be difficult, try and see the breakup as a positive sliding doors moment for you. I genuinely believe that things happen for a reason and you are still meant to go to the festival this year.

This website is full of lovely stories of people nervous about attending by themselves, but ultimately stepping outside of their comfort zone and having the most wonderful time. I think you should add yours to that growing list and come back and tell us all about it afterwards.

It's a nice cliche but you truly are never alone at Glastonbury. Best wishes in whatever you decide is right for you.

You might want to try talking to / joining some of the other going solo type groups. I know and went with one called Solo Polo (on Facebook) which started in 2011 and is going strong with lots of  original members and new folk joining every year.  There will definately be people on their who are / have been in the same situation as you. I went with them in 2011 and it was so easy to get on with everyone, lots of different groups formed as people found their natural friends as time passed. I think there is another group called ? which must be along the same lines. Groups such as these offer an easy way to feel secure in many ways.

Don't you dare not go! Us forty somethings need to keep a high profile and we need your help:)

Tell yourself that you are going to go, just so that you can keep money aside etc. but just don't make the decision til closer to the time and see how you feel. There will be tough times, but there will also be great times. It's going to be an emotional rollercoaster but if you know that going in then it will make it easier. Don't worry about being shy and going alone, plenty of people have said the same thing who are joining camp solo.

If you really wanted to go in the first place then go.

Going solo is not unusual, I'm doing my first Glastonbury at 64 & going solo. You don't have to make a final decision now so sign up with Camp Solo and join the WhatsApp group - you'll see what a friendly bunch of complete nutters they appear to be and there might be someone who live near you that you can meet up with beforehand.

If when it comes to the time, you really can't face it then you've lost nothing but I'm sure there's people on here who will give you some support if it all gets a bit much when you're there. Most people are naturally shy but with most people it only takes a common interest, such as a band, to get a conversation going and there will be a ready supply of like minded people there.

I'm another one doing my first Glastonbury alone this year. Not gonna lie, I'm nervous about it, but I just know it's going to be a positive experience and that I'll come away a more confident rejuvenated person. Although I've not been through a break up recently, I have had a bit of a rubbish 2017 and I reckon a change of scene and totally new experience is just what I need!

I've joined the Whatsapp Camp Solo group and they seem like a really friendly bunch of people. I'm also looking forward to just having a wander by myself and doing whatever I please basically!

The choice is yours of course, but you are really very lucky to have a ticket! Do you really want to be sat on the sofa watching the BBC thinking about what could have been? I say go for it!:)

3 hours ago, Crazycatlady1969 said:

See, now I know you're of a similar vintage to myself YOU MUST GO! Seriously.