Friday other stage opener

thesaint78

33 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

If we defo had all of our JP headliners then I'd agree with Manics but I'm not sure we do, although the only one left possibly is Friday if Justice for Saturday is correct. I'd see them but I'm not that bothered as I'm kind of done with them now.

I don't get this, Elbow are extremely bland, slow and not much to them if you don't like them.....I don't see this working at all at 11am when people have just had their 2nd night on the drink etc and probably the 1st big sort your hangover out morning or whatever, Manics at least would be a 75% set of upbeat songs and guitar riffs to go with.

Because it's not particularly worked with any of the bands with "upbeat" songs that have done it before 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Scrooge moment: what's the point of this slot? 

Why the need for a 'surprise'; surely better to give the slot to an up-and-comer perhaps?

It is to encourage people to attend earlier and helps boost early crowds, rather than some of the poorly attended early afternoon sets of the past, that magnificent set by the hives would never have been so well attended had thousands not got up early to be disappointed by Beady eye beforehand.

I like the slot, even if most feel it falls flat I've enjoyed the chance to see bands from my youth I never got round to seeing in their heyday playing sets which are half greatest hits and half the new album no one knows.  Not the highlight of the weekend but better than nowt.

11 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Manics or Liam Gallagher would be my bets. I'd be happy with either too. 

Can't see it being Liam, he's done the slot before and it just didn't seem to work for him, no crowd connection seemed to exist.

Thank goodness The Hives turned up next

The slot surely carries some stigma, no? Its for bands who are at best trying to make it back. Elbow are touring a number one album, so thats not them.

From the poster, Id say Ride look most likely, I would have said Ricky and the Kaisers if they'd not already done it. But, I guess it could yet be announced? Kooks don'y carry enough history I'd have thought, but theres a whole whost of Britpop bands on reunion tours right now - Bluetones, Shed Seven, Sleeper, OCS etc etc ... lots of choice

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Typical eFests snobbery mate. 

People being stuck up about bands just because they aren't cool or trendy and have discographies that read like a list of the worst elevator music played on the descent into hell.

Lighthouse Family it is.

Disclaimer: On a hungover sunny Friday morning, I could go with that. Sue me :)

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think James were offered the slot and accepted it with the caveat it not be secret because that's a dumb idea.

Thinking outside the box: Foo Fighters acoustic?

That'd be quality! I saw them do that at the V Festival a decade ago and it was great, especially as I didn't see them headline that day (and equally Ill prob see Warpaint this time round instead).

15 hours ago, MikeEssex85 said:

I wish 'The Hives' would come back and do this slot - Probably the best official opening to a festival I have been at - If only someone would get him that fucking ladder!

Their set was out of this world - he is one of the best frontmen I've ever seen. #ladder

13 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I don't get this, Elbow are extremely bland, slow and not much to them if you don't like them.....I don't see this working at all at 11am when people have just had their 2nd night on the drink etc and probably the 1st big sort your hangover out morning or whatever, Manics at least would be a 75% set of upbeat songs and guitar riffs to go with.

did you see James' setlist choice for the first 30 mins last year??

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

This could easily Dizzee Rascal as well, he's still about a bit but has dropped off massively and I think he would get a lot of people up on the Friday. 

One of the shittest things I've ever witnessed was his Pyramid slot in 2013. Absolutely embarrassing.

16 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

did you see James' setlist choice for the first 30 mins last year??

13 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

any thought that Manics playing the Thursday night before & maybe finishing up at 11pm, even if only in Bristol. makes them extremely likely to be at Glastonbury the next day or Saturday, but quite unlikely to be playing at 11am Friday morning?

This is true to be honest, I'm not sure Manics are low enough for that, it's not that long ago they did an arena stint but I would agree they aren't what you would call a full on arena band now. I personally think JP on Friday is likely, Saturday is going to be dancey given FF and Alt-J.

6 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

One of the shittest things I've ever witnessed was his Pyramid slot in 2013. Absolutely embarrassing.

I wasn't there but heard, his time was gone then and people questioned him subbing again. 2010 I think it was however was much better, Gorillaz was a huge come down after that.

2 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

The slot surely carries some stigma, no? Its for bands who are at best trying to make it back. Elbow are touring a number one album, so thats not them.

From the poster, Id say Ride look most likely, I would have said Ricky and the Kaisers if they'd not already done it. But, I guess it could yet be announced? Kooks don'y carry enough history I'd have thought, but theres a whole whost of Britpop bands on reunion tours right now - Bluetones, Shed Seven, Sleeper, OCS etc etc ... lots of choice

Not sure many people will get out of bed early to see Ride.....

14 minutes ago, briddj said:

Not sure many people will get out of bed early to see Ride.....

I think they would for Manics but I doubt the band want to play until 11pm now it'd been said, get up at the crack of dawn and get their stuff down their even as close as Bristol, I think there is a lot of young one's that would make an effort for The Kooks however and they can't be ruled out of having a spot of Wills Green Thursday.

I think they would for Manics but I doubt the band want to play until 11pm now it'd been said, get up at the crack of dawn and get their stuff down their even as close as Bristol, I think there is a lot of young one's that would make an effort for The Kooks however and they can't be ruled out of having a spot of Wills Green Thursday.

Wills green Thursday has been about up and coming bands.  The kooks are well past that

I think they would for Manics but I doubt the band want to play until 11pm now it'd been said, get up at the crack of dawn and get their stuff down their even as close as Bristol.

Up at the crack of dawn? And come on, no one in the Manics is going to be carrying any of their own stuff.

Them performing at 11am on the Friday is valid, but not about doing the massive commute from Bristol to Pilton. They can rock up at 10am after a nice lie in and a quick drive to Pilton, and everything would be set up for them by their road crew. The road crew would go straight from Bristol to Glastonbury after the gig on Thursday night anyway. It's really not as difficult as you imagine!

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Up at the crack of dawn? And come on, no one in the Manics is going to be carrying any of their own stuff.

Them performing at 11am on the Friday is valid, but not about doing the massive commute from Bristol to Pilton. They can rock up at 10am after a nice lie in and a quick drive to Pilton, and everything would be set up for them by their road crew. The road crew would go straight from Bristol to Glastonbury after the gig on Thursday night anyway. It's really not as difficult as you imagine!

True, I don't think it's difficult, I just don't see them wanting to play that soon again after.