Who's playing which day 2017

the wonderwhy

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just say that as a fan of neither act I find it quite bizarre that people on here seem to think that George Ezra couldn't possibly be playing 4th down on pyramid but that The National can be sub headliner. 

If I asked any of my friends who aren't that into music who Ezra is then most would say a singer, a few would say the guy who did Budapest, probably not much more. If I asked them who The National was they'd say they thought it was a horse race.

Seriously don't get why people on here think they're a big deal. same is true of The Flaming Lips, although they're a little more famous.

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Can I just say that as a fan of neither act I find it quite bizarre that people on here seem to think that George Ezra couldn't possibly be playing 4th down on pyramid but that The National can be sub headliner. 

If I asked any of my friends who aren't that into music who Ezra is then most would say a singer, a few would say the guy who did Budapest, probably not much more. If I asked them who The National was they'd say they thought it was a horse race.

Seriously don't get why people on here think they're a big deal. same is true of The Flaming Lips, although they're a little more famous.

Yeah, but you could say the same for Tame Impala who subbed last year. They wouldn't be well known to many, but from what I could tell they had a decent crowd and were well received.

We do have a tendency to think of the Pyramid as very mainstream- but it's still Glastonbury, there's a hell of a lot of real music lovers there

5 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

The National's last few albums have charted in the UK top ten. They may be a cult band but they're a big one with a great reputation both on record and live. Anybody in to their indie rock will know who they are. Just because they didn't have a number (edit) 3 single three years ago doesn't make them any less of a big deal than Ezra (who has one three year old album and nothing else since). Plus, they're on the poster with the other two subs, so there's that...

Edited by FloorFiller

31 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

people who don't have an interest in music not knowing anything they don't hear on the radio shocker.

if it was left up to them, we'd have a festival headlined by Jax Jones, Rita Ora and Callum Scott or some such shit.

34 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

people who don't have an interest in music not knowing anything they don't hear on the radio shocker.

if it was left up to them, we'd have a festival headlined by Jax Jones, Rita Ora and Callum Scott or some such shit.

aka IOW in 2 weeks...

2 hours ago, joeshez89 said:

Yeah, but you could say the same for Tame Impala who subbed last year. They wouldn't be well known to many, but from what I could tell they had a decent crowd and were well received.

We do have a tendency to think of the Pyramid as very mainstream- but it's still Glastonbury, there's a hell of a lot of real music lovers there

Have you got a definitive list of what constitutes "real" music and what doesn't count?

5 minutes ago, evannn said:

Have you got a definitive list of what constitutes "real" music and what doesn't count?

to be fair I think he means 'real music lovers' and you are misquoting him for the sake of an inverted music snobbery argument.

or something like that anyway

The National have supported the Foo Fighters on a previous tour. They are an American alternative / indie band, which is not a million miles away from the Foo Fighters. There's a bit of an assumption going on that there's no crossover, and i find that a bit baffling. Maybe it's just me but I know a fair few who really want to watch both bands.

4 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Meh, ask a random person in the street about music and they're probably more likely to have heard of Rag'n'Bone Man (mid-Other) or Clean Bandit (JP sub) than Arcade Fire (Pyramid headliner).

The National headline decent sized festivals such as Latitude alongside acts like New Order. They played the O2 Arena on the back of their last album. They'll be subbing.

I've said this before but I think Glasto happily book these acts knowing that they'll draw small crowds. There will be a decent portion of Glasto attendees (a lot of whom are on here) who wouldn't go if they didn't book the likes of Radiohead, The National, LCD Soundsystem, Massive Attack, Portishead. These acts are huge in their own circles and at more niche festivals, so if they aren't offered big slots by Glasto they just won't bother and will go and do their own thing. Therefore Glasto's only option is to either give them a higher slot than their inevitable crowd size will justify, or miss out on them altogether and lose that portion of the crowd I mentioned above. Plus if Glasto stopped booking these acts and replaced them all with Biffy Clyros and Disclosures (who'll draw big crowds) then it'd lose a lot of the rep it's built up.

George Ezra had a couple of hits 2 or 3 years ago and hasn't been heard from since. He's got naff slots at other festivals and doesn't seem to be making the step up from the slots he was getting in 2015 (when I think he played 5th down the Pyramid).

That's what I always think about the Coachella headline acts that get a tiny crowd. People might say it's embarrassingly small and a poor choice, but if bands like that weren't booked it'd lose a lot of its rep as a 'cool' festival. The people who are attracted to the reputation might not actually see those bands, but the knock on effect is part of the reason they go.