2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

I don't see how that trio could be considered dull. A fresh headliner representing a genre that hasn't had much exposure at G, one of the biggest cult bands of all time and a fucking Beatle. They should be delighted with that if they've booked those three.

Just now, Xeph1995 said:

Beatles never bothered me, there were artists and bands I like more from that era. The cure are quite boring to me, a bit of a two hit wonder for me. Music is subjective it is what it is for me. I have no doubt west holts and the other stage will have people that I will really want to see they always do.

Sure man I vibe with that completely but the booking isn't weak because you're not interested in it. That's illogical.

6 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

One of those headliners has to be wrong although it’s difficult to say which..Both myself and @dentaIpIan have heard from well placed sources that Mumford and the lads are nailed on.

Aren't Mumford and Sons often credited on here as being one of the worse headliners ever...? Why would they book them again? Not that I'm doubting your info of course, more just hoping it's wrong! Presumably if they have been booked, its instead of Stormzy, as the info on the others seems more solid. Stormzy is a "risky" booking, sure, but fuck me, Mumford and Sons would be uninspiring as hell. 

Not that I'm too fussed who the headliners are I guess, and I suppose there is every chance that those three headliners might mean more resale tickets available which is good news for people on here. But then, people like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, so what do I know....

Edited by Sasperella

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Sure man I vibe with that completely but the booking isn't weak because you're not interested in it. That's illogical. 

I should have phrased it weak for me, this probably is a dream for a lot of people.

7 minutes ago, henry bear said:

What two Cure hits do you know?

Friday im in love and boys don't cry oh actually lullably isn't bad but apart from that not too fussed.

Edited by Xeph1995

Paul McCartney and The Cure are far from weak bookings.. quite the opposite in fact, especially Macca. You can't let who you're into/not into cloud your judgment on a good booking.

I have no interest in Adele and U2 but never for a second would I suggest either of those were weak bookings, they were huge

In my opinion, Stormzy headlining in 2019 would feel like a rushed job. I'd like it to happen more naturally at a time when he has more than one record to play. That's just my preference though.

I certainly wouldn't hold the booking against them and I'd understand why they would want to ride the wave of a movement that feels socially / culturally relevant and important.

I guess if you're ready to step up to the plate, fair fucking play and I've no doubt he would grab the opportunity with both hands and smash it.

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

In my opinion, Stormzy headlining in 2019 would feel like a rushed job. I'd like it to happen more naturally at a time when he has more than one record to play. That's just my preference though.

I certainly wouldn't hold the booking against them and I'd understand why they would want to ride the wave of a movement that feels socially / culturally relevant and important.

I guess if you're ready to step up to the plate, fair fucking play and I've no doubt he would grab the opportunity with both hands and smash it.

Is he not working on new material/due to release anything in the next 6 months or so?

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

My cousin sells banjos, and his dealer told him that Mumford & Sons were headlining.

Alright folks, you heard the man. You'll find what you need here;

https://www.thatbritishtweedcompany.co.uk/product-category/mens-tweed-fashion/mens-tweed-waistcoats/

Not getting the Stormzy shouts at all. Not even done an arena tour yet and his biggest festival slot was headlining Wireless, where BBK have also headlined. At the very most a sub, surely. He doesn't have the material to do a 90+ min slot at the moment unless he delves right back into his mixtape days.

Seen a few people mentioning Lana Del Rey over the last few pages, has there been info to suggest she'll be there?

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Aren't Mumford and Sons often credited on here as being one of the worse headliners ever...? Why would they book them again? Not that I'm doubting your info of course, more just hoping it's wrong! Presumably if they have been booked, its instead of Stormzy, as the info on the others seems more solid. Stormzy is a "risky" booking, sure, but fuck me, Mumford and Sons would be uninspiring as hell. 

Not that I'm too fussed who the headliners are I guess, and I suppose there is every chance that those three headliners might mean more resale tickets available which is good news for people on here. But then, people like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, so what do I know....

There is no doubt a lot of hedging of bets by the bookers and Mumford and Sons could be in there until any not so sure acts make their mind up and sign on the all important dotted line.

Not a fan but I do like their new single !

8 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I feel like grime's biggest 'moment' has been and gone now to be honest. If BBK headlining other in 2017 was a tester then you have to say the test didn't go well at all, I was there and the crowd was minuscule (clashed with Ed Sheeran but still).

Stormzy's album was barely even grime to be honest, it strayed more into hip hop. If you're looking to book a hip hop act 'of the moment' then you take Kendrick. Yeah DAMN. is a year and a half old but so is Gang Signs and Prayer. At least Kendrick did the Black Panther stuff since then, Stormzy has done little to nothing.

The only way I'm seeing a Stormzy headline set is to save money because they've used a massive chunk of the budget elsewhere which would be fair enough. But I'd be more inclined to wait until both Stormzy and Skepta release their next albums and then decide which one of them can do it based on the reception to those albums.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Is he not working on new material/due to release anything in the next 6 months or so?

Really? I didn't know. Fair play then, give him a shot, I reckon. You won't see many people take that opportunity in the same way I think he would. He's hungry for it.

1 minute ago, ConorC said:

I feel like grime's biggest 'moment' has been and gone now to be honest. If BBK headlining other in 2017 was a tester then you have to say the test didn't go well at all, I was there and the crowd was minuscule (clashed with Ed Sheeran but still).

Stormzy's album was barely even grime to be honest, it strayed more into hip hop. If you're looking to book a hip hop act 'of the moment' then you take Kendrick. Yeah DAMN. is a year and a half old but so is Gang Signs and Prayer. At least Kendrick did the Black Panther stuff since then, Stormzy has done little to nothing.

The only way I'm seeing a Stormzy headline set is to save money because they've used a massive chunk of the budget elsewhere which would be fair enough. But I'd be more inclined to wait until both Stormzy and Skepta release their next albums and then decide which one of them can do it based on the reception to those albums.

Yeah BBK crowd was thin af and I couldn't see Skepta headlining but I'm not talking about grime as a blanket term as such anyway. I agree Stormzy's record ventured further into other genres. I think he's relevant, that's all it comes down to. Probably one of the most relevant artists in recent times. 1.5 years since the record doesn't change that. Today, he's a young black man pushing boundaries in the music industry. He's engaged a generation of people, won over almost everyone who's watched him and he's someone with values that a lot of people can relate to and believe in. He's got a powerful voice and he's definitely using it. That's what I mean by 'ride the wave of that movement'. Sure, Kendrick is definitely the global star and yeah, they should definitely be looking at that as an option but what can you do, eh? Doesn't have to be one or the other imo.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Really? I didn't know. Fair play then, give him a shot, I reckon. You won't see many people take that opportunity in the same way I think he would. He's hungry for it.

Yeah BBK crowd was thin af and I couldn't see Skepta headlining but I'm not talking about grime as a blanket term as such anyway. I agree Stormzy's record ventured further into other genres. I think he's relevant, that's all it comes down to. Probably one of the most relevant artists in recent times. 1.5 years since the record doesn't change that. Today, he's a young black man pushing boundaries in the music industry. He's engaged a generation of people, won over almost everyone who's watched him and he's someone with values that a lot of people can relate to and believe in. He's got a powerful voice and he's definitely using it. That's what I mean by 'ride the wave of that movement'. Sure, Kendrick is definitely the global star and yeah, they should definitely be looking at that as an option but what can you do, eh? Doesn't have to be one or the other imo.

Lots of fair points, can't really disagree with anything you've said.

18 minutes ago, jyoung said:

No I was asking!

I'm not into his stuff so I don't really follow what's going on, was just intrigued 

Stormzy headlining Pyramid for 2+ hours off the back of 1 album, an hour subbing on the Other and a unreleased (and no date) second album would be a huge leap of faith from the Eavii. Not for me Clive. (edit - I know he's done his own big shows)

Can see him headlining West Holts or Other Stage with their 90 minute headline slots and lower profile. I can't believe for a minute that Stormzy is a booked headliner with 1 album out; penciled in, an option maybe, if the second album is out in spring and it's massive.

To book him him now would be unprecedented in recent times wouldn't it? Even Mumford's 2nd album was out in Sept 2012 when they headlined in 2013.

Edited by Keithy
  • Upvote 2