2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

30 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Dear Emily, what better way to celebrate International Women's Day than to announce Lady Gaga as Sunday's headliner? 

Yeah... but when's International Men's Day, eh? EH!?!!1!!??

Oh. 19th November. As you were.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I still think there's time for another big name before the poster drop, which I think will either be on Thursday 28th March or Monday 1st April. It would have to be within the next week though, I reckon.

I think it will be the week before - around the 20th - after the votes but before Brexit day. 

3 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Gnomicide, you are so wise

I wonder what the reasons are for the years the announcement comes after balance deadline.....due to issues with contracts, a perception that the lineup wont be received as favourably (can't see that being an issue) or just because they like to reiterate that there really is no pattern and they can fuck with us at will.

I also stupidly read some comments on the balance reminder post on facebook - "Why wouldn't you expect us to pay without a lineup??" etc etc. Really drives home the fact that some people just don't get it!

I really don’t think they should release any of the line up before payment deadline (which they could make much earlier). I didn’t go at all in my 20’s because I never fancied the line up (was far more of a Reading man) went in 2013 and to everyone since and realised how unimportant the line up is (although I love looking  this and speculating)

If by not releasing it then it stops people like I saw a video of on here turning up on the Friday and leaving after Adel then all the better

i have no interest in the three rumoured headliners this year and that actually excites me because at least one night I’m going to go somewhere small and random

Anyway rant over it’s The Hold Steady tonight so life is good!

4 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Gnomicide, you are so wise

I wonder what the reasons are for the years the announcement comes after balance deadline.....due to issues with contracts, a perception that the lineup wont be received as favourably (can't see that being an issue) or just because they like to reiterate that there really is no pattern and they can fuck with us at will.

I also stupidly read some comments on the balance reminder post on facebook - "Why wouldn't you expect us to pay without a lineup??" etc etc. Really drives home the fact that some people just don't get it!

No he isn't.  If he was wise he would be interpreting and analysing all this data he collects in order to give us some meaningful insight.  He's just very good at regurgitating announcement information, claiming there is no pattern, and planning where to put his chair in the Avalon field ;)

16 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Anyway rant over it’s The Hold Steady tonight so life is good!

I'm going tomorrow, can't wait!

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

No he isn't.  If he was wise he would be interpreting and analysing all this data he collects in order to give us some meaningful insight.  He's just very good at regurgitating announcement information, claiming there is no pattern, and planning where to put his chair in the Avalon field ;)

I may not be as wise as an owl but I have the regurgitating skills of one.

A chair? A CHAIR? How very dare you. They have loads in Avalon Cafe. 

The not releasing the line up before people pay argument to keep out people who don't get it is such a lame and elitist one, the festival requires new blood to stay fresh and coming across first timers in the process of 'getting it' at the fest is an absolute joy.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

The not releasing the line up before people pay argument to keep out people who don't get it is such a lame and elitist one, the festival requires new blood to stay fresh and coming across first timers in the process of 'getting it' at the fest is an absolute joy.

Hear, hear.

39 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I think the truth sits somewhere in between tbh.  There needs to be a certain amount of visibility to draw in new people, but equally the festival and "getting it" is about so much more than the headline acts. 

At the same time, it does make me laugh to read the FB / Twitter comments of people losing their shit because they don't know who's playing :D

I think most festivals sell tickets prior to the lineup being released.  Its only seen as an issue with Glastonbury as it sells out immediately (I think its a similar case with Electric Picnic in Ireland).  Its not like they don't release the lineup in advance of the festival.  To look at it from another angle, if all the tickets are already sold, there's no real hurry to release the lineup, as its not gonna shift any tickets.

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think the truth sits somewhere in between tbh.  There needs to be a certain amount of visibility to draw in new people, but equally the festival and "getting it" is about so much more than the headline acts. 

At the same time, it does make me laugh to read the FB / Twitter comments of people losing their shit because they don't know who's playing :D

But how can you 'get it' if you don't go? I went for the festival I watched on TV when I first went when I was 16 in '09 and I was climbing the walls wanting the line-up. I didn't even pay for my ticket that year and it's gone up roughly £100 since then, its a lot of money to potentially gamble (especially if anyone shouting is younger). Once there, people will either get it or they won't but probably won't be shouting next year.

We're just as bad on this forum for it, we just shout at each other about it and under the guise that we already have a connection with the festival. Everyone will be satisfied come March 27th when Childish Gambino's on the poster, don't worry.

#GambinoFridaySub

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

But how can you 'get it' if you don't go? I went for the festival I watched on TV when I first went when I was 16 in '09 and I was climbing the walls wanting the line-up. I didn't even pay for my ticket that year and it's gone up roughly £100 since then, its a lot of money to potentially gamble (especially if anyone shouting is younger). Once there, people will either get it or they won't but probably won't be shouting next year.

We're just as bad on this forum for it, we just shout at each other about it and under the guise that we already have a connection with the festival. Everyone will be satisfied come March 27th when Childish Gambino's on the poster, don't worry.

#GambinoFridaySub

Yeah I get that, hence the certain amount of visibility bit.  Selfishly I guess I'd say that the "kind of people" (God I sound like my dad) I'd like to be coming to Glastonbury are the kind of people who'd be willing to give it a punt, as they're also the sorts of people that will wander away from the main stages to explore and make the wider festival come alive.  Don't know if that makes me sound douchey or not tbh :)

24 minutes ago, Username taken said:

I think most festivals sell tickets prior to the lineup being released.  Its only seen as an issue with Glastonbury as it sells out immediately (I think its a similar case with Electric Picnic in Ireland).  Its not like they don't release the lineup in advance of the festival.  To look at it from another angle, if all the tickets are already sold, there's no real hurry to release the lineup, as its not gonna shift any tickets.

Exactly - and like most other major festivals, Electric Picnic has a much less friendly (ie. nonexistant) refund policy compared to Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Yeah I get that, hence the certain amount of visibility bit.  Selfishly I guess I'd say that the "kind of people" (God I sound like my dad) I'd like to be coming to Glastonbury are the kind of people who'd be willing to give it a punt, as they're also the sorts of people that will wander away from the main stages to explore and make the wider festival come alive.  Don't know if that makes me sound douchey or not tbh :)

Think your 6565 other posts have proved you're not a douche so I wouldn't worry about that.

I don't really mind who's there as long as I am at the end of the day. I have this fairy-tale magical idea that the welcoming feeling, good vibes and exposure to positive politics gets people leaving feeling better and striving to be better, even if it only lasts a week or 2.

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2019 at 11:30 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Venues mean very little though, if it was only on venues then BTS would be headlining to gawps of bewilderment from 99% of the crowd.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:16 PM, ManLj said:

Sold out Wembley in 90minutes. Wow.

And just sold out Wembley again, and again in a matter of hours. Just to rub it in that venue sizes really don't matter.

I wonder if the lack of information about when we’ll get the information is an issue too? In a world of Brand Engagement people probably aren’t used to hearing so little from Glasto, and most probably don’t even know the lineup is likely to be out around balance time.