Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

we were lucky that we were camped near arcadia/the park last year which meant we could get back after the headliners for a quick 'leg rest' , load up and take the short walk to one of those two venues....also helped that when it finished we were back at the tents within 5 mins.

did make us very lazy though, i only ventured out to shangri-la once over the whole weekend, and the sunday night we just sat around the tents after headliners. 

i've done enough festivals now to know how to cope with it, just i think the older you get (i'm nearly 36) the less inclined you are to get about the site.

See we camp in Rivermead which means walking via Silver Hayes to get home... it's not worth trying to do that until after the post headliner movement dies down. Last year we made the mistake of trying to head back straight after Muse and the crush we got caught in was actually pretty terrifying.

That being said, if I went back to my tent post-headliners for a "leg rest" I would wake up fully dressed at 4am wondering what had happened to my night. :lol: 

1 minute ago, JoBalls said:

See we camp in Rivermead which means walking via Silver Hayes to get home... it's not worth trying to do that until after the post headliner movement dies down. Last year we made the mistake of trying to head back straight after Muse and the crush we got caught in was actually pretty terrifying.

That being said, if I went back to my tent post-headliners for a "leg rest" I would wake up fully dressed at 4am wondering what had happened to my night. :lol: 

I don't mean get into my sleeping bag! :D usually its just sitting in our camping chairs

If we are all watching different headliners, we all meet back at base camp then head off to wherever together, saves a lot of phone calls trying to find people near bars/toilets etc.

usually allows for a change of clothes/jumpers, load up on beer and other 'goodies' ;) 

i used to camp in big ground/kidney mead and if i wasn't watching a pyramid headliner i'd be out all day and all night!

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

we were lucky that we were camped near arcadia/the park last year which meant we could get back after the headliners for a quick 'leg rest' , load up and take the short walk to one of those two venues....also helped that when it finished we were back at the tents within 5 mins.

did make us very lazy though, i only ventured out to shangri-la once over the whole weekend, and the sunday night we just sat around the tents after headliners. 

i've done enough festivals now to know how to cope with it, just i think the older you get (i'm nearly 36) the less inclined you are to get about the site.

we were in pylon last year.....I wont lie it was a slog! esp at the end of a day, by sunday everyone was pretty fooked. I remember we had an earlyish one sunday night because we just couldnt be arsed to walk anymore back to the main part of the fest, we just chilled out by the tents with whatever booze was left over it was a nice relaxing end to the weekend really but it would be nice to have one where come sunday I dont feel physically unable to do anymore lol

Edited by waterfalls212434

5 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

we were in pylon last year.....I wont lie it was a slog! esp at the end of a day!

I camped in Hawkwell in 2014.  that was bad enough...coming down in the daylight in shangri-la and then realising you've got a 45 min stagger back to your tent at 5am isnt' good! :( 

11 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I don't mean get into my sleeping bag! :D usually its just sitting in our camping chairs

Lol didn't think you did... I just can't sit down somewhere comfy at that time of night after drinking all day. I've got to party properly or I'll be asleep. There's no in between :lol: 

Strap yourself in people, this is where the rollercoaster begins. The festival is next week, we're almost but not quite close enough to be getting semi accurate forecasts, so the wild speculation can really begin and the heart wrenching gut churning journey that is the Weather thread really comes into its own. Good luck people.

Just checked the latest run and ensembles. 

Looks dry and warm with potential for abit of rain on Saturday

Had rain Wednesday but the operational run was abit of an outlier

Jacks latest update should be quite positive if today's runs are similar

Bear in mind sites like that i think use the gfs data which changes every 6 hours. The run I looked at did indeed show rain on Wednesday but when you look at the other 19 runs and look at the mean of the runs it shows the operational run to be an outlier. The weather sites I think use the op run so will show rain. Depends what site your looking at I expect and which model they are using as their forecast model

Long time to go yet in weather terms anyway

11 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Easily manageable and I really feel the cold. If you're pissed enough by sunset you won't feel it as much anyway, make sure you've got a couple of layers on and you'll be fine. If you're in to certain substances they will warm you up too.

Get down to Sports Direct and pick up a running base layer or two and put them on under your t-shirt when it starts getting chilly. They're only about four quid and work like a charm.

8 minutes ago, Skier68 said:

Looks like @The Nal has taken control of Ventusky site. Wednesday picture.

Change the model to GEM and that horribleness disappears.

The GEM model has always given me the better forecast whenever I've looked for various dates and it is therefore my favourite. For now.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"Bubbling up" still brings back memories of that footage from the site prep last year with an actual torrent of water emerging like a boiling cauldron from some infernal subterranean chamber.

Ha, those videos were disturbing, like geysers about to explode all over the shop. We still thought it would all be ok at that point with a few days sun :rofl:

Looks much better this year already