Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

3 hours ago, richroet said:

Hoping for an announcement early next week as I go on holiday on Thursday and possibly no internet connection for a week.

Although would be a nice present to get home to as well so lets just say sometime this month please

Where are you going that has no internet? 

47 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I'd be surprised if it comes soon due to the (underwhelming?) nature of Ed's 'announcement'. Painting the bear and that gig were big deals in their own right, so make sense to be separated from the rest. It feels like Ed's was a lot less planned and more of an afterthought so his name doesn't dissolve into the masses, leave us guessing whether he's a strong sub (stranger things have happened). 

Basically I think that they will want to put some distance between Ed and the poster, a week or 10 days at least.

Edds announcement was pretty shite... they have upped the stakes it was almost like they realised they had forgotten to announce he was going to be playing.

3 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

Edds announcement was pretty shite... they have upped the stakes it was almost like they realised they had forgotten to announce he was going to be playing.

I'd rather just be straight out with it than have such a big build up that everyone knows already and then announce it, in fact announce it before you announce it again at a gig which I found was weird as that part was already done. It was like we were waiting for something with Foo's that we already knew and the overwhelming part then didn't come. Radiohead I don't like but they probably did the best.

I thought the announcements were all quite suiting to each of the headliners. Radiohead were classically non-existant in their annoucement - prefering to paint a bear than do anything in person as they seem to hate the limelight. Grohl and the lads were all flash about it - something they seem to indulge in and Ed was just his bumbling awkward self - a teenager who can barely believe he's a famous singer, let alone headlinging Glastonbury.

Edit - I know he's not actually a teenager

Edited by simian_mobile_mushrooms

The weirdest thing about Ed's announcement was just how unenthusiastic the tweet/instagram post seemed. For all I know he now has somebody else running his social media which could explain it, but considering it's apparently been a lifelong dream of his he didn't seem all that arsed.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The weirdest thing about Ed's announcement was just how unenthusiastic the tweet/instagram post seemed. For all I know he now has somebody else running his social media which could explain it, but considering it's apparently been a lifelong dream of his he didn't seem all that arsed.

But isn't that why so many people think he's lovely, cos he's a timid nerd done good?

Just now, jparx said:

Is it not just to fit his painfully curated 'everyman' image?

That's what I assumed. I doubt it was all down to a lack of effort/planning, as is being suggested.

The way he said it in the video was obviously purposely like that, too. Obviously on the inside he's going to be excited to headline Glasto.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

That's what I assumed. I doubt it was all down to a lack of effort/planning, as is being suggested.

The way he said it in the video was obviously purposely like that, too. Obviously on the inside he's going to be excited to headline Glasto.

That's the difficulty I have with Ed. Everything he says and does feels as though it's been carefully scripted to suit his image. It's a marketing masterclass to be fair.

2 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Obviously on the inside he's going to be excited to headline Glasto.

I can see why you or anyone else might think that, but I often wonder how much real excitement there is for bands.

Cos for them, it's their job, and yep, for lots of people it's a dream job and it's what they've always wanted to do, they love it, etc, etc, etc, but some days you just don't want to go to work even when you love your job.

And then when your job has been living out of a suitcase for months at a time over years or decades it must get hard to keep up those levels of enthusiasm.

Even youngster Ed is a years-ago veteran of some huge shows, so would he be that excited? He's know it was important, but that doesn't mean he has to get excited. It's not even a show where he's been the draw to sell the tickets, either.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I can see why you or anyone else might think that, but I often wonder how much real excitement there is for bands.

Cos for them, it's their job, and yep, for lots of people it's a dream job and it's what they've always wanted to do, they love it, etc, etc, etc, but some days you just don't want to go to work even when you love your job.

And then when your job has been living out of a suitcase for months at a time over years or decades it must get hard to keep up those levels of enthusiasm.

Even youngster Ed is a years-ago veteran of some huge shows, so would he be that excited? He's know it was important, but that doesn't mean he has to get excited. It's not even a show where he's been the draw to sell the tickets, either.

I guess so but he's even seemed more excited about it when he's hinted about it in previous radio interviews, etc.

I definitely see your point, though, and I've often wondered myself how tedious it could actually become being a performer playing the same songs every night to massive, anonymous crowds of people.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I definitely think he'd be excited - he's been a frequent performer at the festival, rising up the lineup, and seems to know exactly how much of a big deal it is to top the bill. Yeah he may have done other big shows, but none of those shows have been topping Glastonbury, something many bands, and especially solo artists, can only dream of. Also one of the big shows where if you nail it it'll be talked about for years, whereas if you fuck it it'll probably be talked about for even longer.

51 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Bloody hope not - I love the Spaceport...

Ben

Advertised as a gabber set, turns out to be the most ridiculously heavy industrial techno set known to man. Ends up rupturing those fabled gas pipes under the site the bass is so heavy.  

Better?

5 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

I'm sure he's excited to be playing the festival but I hardly expected him to be screaming and jumping up and down like a nutter. Come the night he's on I'm sure he'll be plenty excited

Especially given that he's known about it for so long; my guess is he's a little embarrassed about announcing something that everyone already knew and would have felt a little fake if he'd started making a big deal about it.

21 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Especially given that he's known about it for so long; my guess is he's a little embarrassed about announcing something that everyone already knew and would have felt a little fake if he'd started making a big deal about it.

Yeah exactly. If he'd been super pumped up then I'm sure some ppl would also be shooting him down just as quick for being a faker