The Variety Bazaar

JoeyT

26 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Unless it's a bring your own booze festival - which it cant possibly be - then it'll be just another festival.

I wonder how many people would pack up going to glastonbury if they couldnt drink their own booze freely?

It'd price a lot of folk out I'd imagine for starters. Say as a minimum 5 days of drinking with 10-12 drinks a day. At £4-5 that's doubling the price of a ticket, compared to people spending £50 down the shops. 

It's the freedom that comes with the feeling of 'once you're in, you're in'. Makes it feel much more like home.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep. I'd be one of them. It's a massive (and unfair) advantage that glastonbury has over all over festivals. I cant quite remember how they get away with it now.

Is it an unfair advantage though? Is there anything stopping other festivals adopting the same approach other than wanting higher bar profits? 

as much as I love going down to Pompey for Victorious (been last 2 years) thats the 1 drawback - BYOB is great at Glasto.

Although at Victorious they only search bags, they don't search you frisk stylee so there are oppurtunities to sneak booze in in your pockets which we sussed after the 1st year we went. Took down a load of hip flasks this year and that sorted us right out :D

6 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Is it an unfair advantage though? Is there anything stopping other festivals adopting the same approach other than wanting higher bar profits? 

I think so yeah, I'm sure it's only allowed at Glastonbury because it's always been that way and the age old licencing agreements of it have always remained 

I may be wrong though 

Edited by Mezhyp1

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Nowt to do with laws does it? Any festival can do it if they want. 

Glasto isn't greedy that way. 

yeah, tis a 'law' thing, sort of. Festies have to be licenced, and the licence includes conditions around alcohol.

As far as i'm aware it's not something that's been raised for Glasto, but I know of other festivals which have had conditions put on them about not allowing punters to bring in alcohol, with the justification being that it stops underage drinking.

The laughable thing about that is that kids can only drink if someone qwill sell them something to drink - which will be licenced premises somewhere else, and likely to be under the control of the same licencing authority (local council).

57 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Unless it's a bring your own booze festival - which it cant possibly be - then it'll be just another festival.

I wonder how many people would pack up going to glastonbury if they couldnt drink their own booze freely?

Beautiful Days has a similar BYO approach. Obviously it's on a much smaller scale. Is it down to licensing or simply a strategy to increase alcohol sales through the bars?

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

This is my understanding too.

I may also be wrong though!

the historical aspects of how Glasto does things certainly comes into it, on the basis of how it's done is working so there's not much need to change it.

All it might take to be changed tho is a change of the regulation staff at MDC, to someone more interested in covering his arse from comebacks than accepting that something works OK.

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, tis a 'law' thing, sort of. Festies have to be licenced, and the licence includes conditions around alcohol.

As far as i'm aware it's not something that's been raised for Glasto, but I know of other festivals which have had conditions put on them about not allowing punters to bring in alcohol, with the justification being that it stops underage drinking.

The laughable thing about that is that kids can only drink if someone qwill sell them something to drink - which will be licenced premises somewhere else, and likely to be under the control of the same licencing authority (local council).

So they get a pass on it sort of thing? 

Cant see it stopping anyway. Remember Michaels flip flop on the bringing booze in? 2013 I think it was? 

"No alcohol allowed to be carried in trolleys."

*inevitable backlash*

" you are still OK to bring your own alcohol through the gates, providing it's just for your own use (whether it's on a trolley or not)." 

Edited by The Nal

10 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I never considered the whole underage drinking thing,  probably about 3000% more 16-18 year olds at say Reading and Leeds compared with Glastonbury,  so that could also make a lot of sense 

Thankfully since 2011 we haven't seen too many large groups dressed exactly like the Fail tells them too talking through gigs and taking selfies while pouting ridiculously and making peace signs.  

26 minutes ago, The Nal said:

So they get a pass on it sort of thing? 

Cant see it stopping anyway. Remember Michaels flip flop on the bringing booze in? 2013 I think it was? 

"No alcohol allowed to be carried in trolleys."

*inevitable backlash*

" you are still OK to bring your own alcohol through the gates, providing it's just for your own use (whether it's on a trolley or not)." 

yeah. "Best practice" in our over-regulated society would be a system that gives kids no opportunity to get pissed under-age, by having the tightest controls on the places they're legally responsible to regulate.

The *real* issue is kids getting their hands on that alcohol in the first place, and not where those kids might consume it .... but if they're consuming it when they shouldn't be, and on premises regulated by the council (like a festie site), then the buck stops with the council.

30 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I never considered the whole underage drinking thing,  probably about 3000% more 16-18 year olds at say Reading and Leeds compared with Glastonbury,  so that could also make a lot of sense 

in reality, it simply comes down to the attitudes in the local council area that is responsible for regulating a particular event.

Some are very anal about regulation. Thankfully MDC have a realistic approach that accepts what the world is like to a greater degree than some other places.