The Variety Bazaar

JoeyT

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I tweeted Emily - and she responded :-)

me - Is 2017 potentially the last Glastonbury - historically its heart will always be Worthy farm

Emilys response - no not at all. There will be plenty more we hope !

(2 minutes ago :-)

All that's going to do is make people obsess about the words "we hope"! :lol:

3 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I spoke to some one the other day who has worked for the festival for many years, I asked them about the Bazaar Business, he put it this way.

"it's a good cause project for the fallow years"

I wonder what the 'cause' is? Meant literally as in generating money for a specific charity, or as in 'helping to ensure the future of the parent festival'...

I wonder if anyone outside this forums look at things in this much depth?? 

All I know is if 2017 is the last festival at the farm, I'm going to make sure it's a good one! For me, any festival could be my last, I don't always believe I'm going to get a ticket and I have no idea on what circumstances might take me away from the festival!

24 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

I wonder if anyone outside this forums look at things in this much depth?? 

All I know is if 2017 is the last festival at the farm, I'm going to make sure it's a good one! For me, any festival could be my last, I don't always believe I'm going to get a ticket and I have no idea on what circumstances might take me away from the festival!

Probably not, I don't think most people care as much as us, think that's the reason why we've all ended up here. 
Charm x

Edited by Charm

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

I wonder what the 'cause' is? Meant literally as in generating money for a specific charity, or as in 'helping to ensure the future of the parent festival'...

I think it's helping everyone who helps run the festival keep going for the years they are fallow. Some people will get most of their revenue for the year from Glastonbury. So a fallow year could bankrupt some of them

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Why put we hope at the end.... I would have been a  lot happier if it had just said there WILL be lot more... But that's just me I suppose. 

They don't have the agreements actually in place and you have to do licence applications etc. 

Sounds like she very much will keep it where it is, but by saying 'we will' or 'I can confirm' she would also be losing any negotiating position with farmers. Even if everything was 100% rosey, you don't give away your negotiating position!

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

which only makes clear it's far from certain. ;)

I *KNOW* Emily wants to continue at the farm, but whether its possible to do that is something else entirely.

That probably sums it up the best in one sentence. They want it to continue there but if the landowners do take the piss, they might be left with no option but to move

26 minutes ago, Charm said:

Probably not, I don't think most people care as much as us, think that's the reason why we've all ended up here. 
Charm x

Heck, we spend most the year discussing Glastonbury, having a manic ticket day, waiting to get our tickets in resales, secret resales for a 5 day event, which we then discuss how awesome it was, what we liked, what we didn't and then end up speculating who is going to be playing. 

I'm sure if they have the creativity of key areas from Glastonbury in the new festival - it'll be pretty awesome!

4 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

They don't have the agreements actually in place and you have to do licence applications etc. 

Sounds like she very much will keep it where it is, but by saying 'we will' or 'I can confirm' she would also be losing any negotiating position with farmers. Even if everything was 100% rosey, you don't give away your negotiating position!

how many of the 22 do they not have agreements with? do they all run out this year?

what do they have to do licence applications for? a 10 year licence for the festival was granted in 2014.

There is another slant you can take on this.

They're looking at a large alternative site for a big "Glastonbury style" festival and 2019 is effectively the pilot festival.

They could then run a smaller "Glastonbury's roots" festival at the farm so the footprint was smaller and then less hassle getting the space agreed with the other farms...

it's such a shame about this land business, and I feel like the land owners are holding the Eavis's to ransom.

it';s a shame because when i think of the festival I think of a utopia, where money doesn't really matter and everything is perfect and everyone happy. and with all this you snap back awake and realise its the same as everything else

it's all about the dollar 

10 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

it's such a shame about this land business, and I feel like the land owners are holding the Eavis's to ransom.

it';s a shame because when i think of the festival I think of a utopia, where money doesn't really matter and everything is perfect and everyone happy. and with all this you snap back awake and realise its the same as everything else

it's all about the dollar 

Utopia is an interesting way to describe it. It's one of the view places I've been to where people aren't bothered about how you look, what job you do, what car you drive - people finally look beyond all that and see you as an equal. Like you, they haven't showered in a couple of days, they are drinking warm cider and they are either waiting for a band and are happy to chat. 

It would be a shame if it moved away (and no, it wouldn't be Glastonbury Festival), if it was to end it would be great to end in 2020, go out with a bang.

9 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

Utopia is an interesting way to describe it. It's one of the view places I've been to where people aren't bothered about how you look, what job you do, what car you drive - people finally look beyond all that and see you as an equal. Like you, they haven't showered in a couple of days, they are drinking warm cider and they are either waiting for a band and are happy to chat. 

It would be a shame if it moved away (and no, it wouldn't be Glastonbury Festival), if it was to end it would be great to end in 2020, go out with a bang.

Agree with all of that 100%, SL. 

The only caveat being that were 2020 to become the known last one at Worthy, I would likely have a frickin stroke in anxiety about failing on T-Day. And I'd get all arrogant and irrational and unreasonable about bucket list arses clambering for MY ticket when it doesn't MEAN anything to them...

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22