Refreshinator

Glasto peaches

8 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I think this is the most important thing. Either loads of people that use it are gonna be mightily pissed off that it doesn't work (IMO the correct outcome) or loads of people that don't use it will be pissed off that it has worked and given others an advantage. 

In short, the APP developers are to blame whatever and should be hanged, drawn and quartered.

Yup!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some confusion about what the app actually achieves here (or claims to achieve). Is it indeed a 'multi-hit' app, in which case I think See's official position from the T's and C's seems quite clear. Along side this, it is likely that a reputation filter on See's ticket system could indeed interpret this as a DoS operation or a scam of some type and block the source IP. Or is it an auto-refresh app, which only saves your F5 finger really and might help you to avoid pressing F5 when there is actually a delayed response coming through from the ticket sales servers (pressing F5 around every 3-4 seconds is sufficient to do the same thing imho).

8 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Some confusion about what the app actually achieves here (or claims to achieve). Is it indeed a 'multi-hit' app, in which case I think See's official position from the T's and C's seems quite clear. Along side this, it is likely that a reputation filter on See's ticket system could indeed interpret this as a DoS operation or a scam of some type and block the source IP. Or is it an auto-refresh app, which only saves your F5 finger really and might help you to avoid pressing F5 when there is actually a delayed response coming through from the ticket sales servers (pressing F5 around every 3-4 seconds is sufficient to do the same thing imho).

Very valid points - it's the confusion that isn't fair here. 

Seetickets are the ones who will know into which category it falls, and as to whether they will allow them to be used. Not us regular punters. 

If it is the latter, then surely there is no issues with using it and it is purely a clever tool being used for efficiency? If it is then .. then I want to know that I/we can use it without fear of being blocked. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah, what he said - more eloquently than me, above. Every year people "test-drive" the coach sale to see how "easy" it will be for Sunday. 

I wouldn't have the guts to try the coach sale just to test things out, if I got through I'd be absolutely gutted if I then failed on Sunday. It's a bit like beating a football team in a meaningless league game and then having to play them again in the FA cup final on the weekend!

I am however at work until 7pm pretty much on my own so I will have to resist that temptation at 6pm just to have a look

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

12 minutes ago, st dan said:

Very valid points - it's the confusion that isn't fair here. 

Seetickets are the ones who will know into which category it falls, and as to whether they will allow them to be used. Not us regular punters. 

If it is the latter, then surely there is no issues with using it and it is purely a clever tool being used for efficiency? If it is then .. then I want to know that I/we can use it without fear of being blocked. 

So PR disaster if they cancel tickets retrospectively from those who used the app - imagine the alternative though.  If the app is 'OK' to use (i.e. not technically multi-hit), should they come forward and say, 'yep, fine to use it'?  I think someone's suggested that their silence is complicit in its validity, or something like that, above - but I reckon it'd be far worse for them to explicitly green flag it.  The daily mail would be outraged on behalf of everyone not in possession of an iphone of the skills to get the app working etc

1 hour ago, Charm said:

What is the difference between this app and the auto refresh add ons that people have reported using. 
Charm x

They have aimed this app at getting Glastonbury tickets. They have marketed the app as the best method to get tickets.

It's an iOS app rather than a browser addon

1 minute ago, craigb said:

They have aimed this app at getting Glastonbury tickets. They have marketed the app as the best method to get tickets.

My issue is that browser plug ins are free whilst this app is making someone money off the back of Glastonbury demand

3 minutes ago, craigb said:

Thanks, so no difference then, apart from marketing. 
Charm x

Looking at how they describe how it works, they say " All you need to do is enter some text on the holding page, that will not be on the next page and the App will keep refreshing the browser until it disappears."

So, if See put all the text from the holding page on the Registration page, it would render the application useless? 

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think you have to tell the app what word to look for as well, I can see some people being confused by that when prompted to do so.

Nope it's just the word which disappears. So yes See could get around this by having the whole holding page blurb in hidden text.

In all fairness the app does say to also try manually, so it's not claiming this is a definitive way of getting tickets. 

Just now, arcade fireman said:

I don't think See would want to have the entire holding page text explicitly on the page, it would clutter up the registration page and confuse people - especially as most trying won't know why they're doing it. 

They could do text behind one of the logos, though whether the app would pick this up or not....

The text could just be in the HTML but not displayed. It's easy for See to stop this. 

6 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Got in on a browser but tried the Refreshinator and it didn't seem to be working...

Same - just out of curiosity. Every word I put in it told me wasn't valid and to use something that's likely to disappear from the page.

Maybe they got a stern warning from the festival?

1 minute ago, feline said:

Same - just out of curiosity. Every word I put in it told me wasn't valid and to use something that's likely to disappear from the page.

Maybe they got a stern warning from the festival?

But the app hasn't updated or anything recently so I don't think it's a change from their side.  I suspect GFL altered the way the page is set up to stop it working, as discussed above.  Best solution all round really.