Refreshinator

Glasto peaches

My worry is that those of us who are unwilling to take the risk of using the app for fear it may be blocked, if it does indeed work with no issues, then those who are using it may get through multiple times and take up several batches of tickets!! 

If it is a loophole that is there to be exploited then we can only kick ourselves if we let it slip by and not take advantage. 

Its a tough one. Tonight will be the decider for me. If people get through with no problems then I may be tempted to use it Sunday as a backup option if I'm not getting through the traditional route. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

If it is a loophole, See will probably block it, and not necessarily in the coach sale today either. They may look at the logs between tonight and the Sunday sale and decide to block it for that. Or not. Its your decision whether to use it or not basically.

I think Seetickets / Glastonbury should be looking to distribute some official communication in regards to this. Either they will be accepted if successful, or all orders identified as coming though Refreshinator will be declined. 

Personally I'd rather not use it as the traditional way is fair for all, but I will be very frustrated if I miss out on tickets because I didn't use an app that was perfectly 'legal' to speak. Alternatively, i will be more angry if I used the app and got through, only for my ticket to later be blocked and there was no prior warning. 

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

I think Seetickets / Glastonbury should be looking to distribute some official communication in regards to this. Either they will be accepted if successful, or all orders identified as coming though Refreshinator will be declined. 

Personally I'd rather not use it as the traditional way is fair for all, but I will be very frustrated if I miss out on tickets because I didn't use an app that was perfectly 'legal' to speak. Alternatively, i will be more angry if I used the app and got through, only for my ticket to later be blocked and there was no prior warning. 

There is prior warning. It is on the holding page that we will all see before long.

Why? The tickets will all be sold with or without people using the app. They have a section in their T's and C's that they can point to if they are criticised saying they do not condone their use, so they are covered. However its really the app developers problem if it screws up and doesn't help get any tickets.

I'm sure this has been covered before, but isn't there such a thing as a reputation filter? If the website detects abnormal activity it sends a cookie of death to your computer and you can't access the site?

Im sure it has been discussed in depth on here before, but for me that's the big risk of using something like this app, not necessarily even getting as far as orders being cancelled.

If you end up with a cookie of death, you then get the white page of doom, by the time you figure out what's happening clear your cache etc, then tickets could be gone.

4 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Why? The tickets will all be sold with or without people using the app. They have a section in their T's and C's that they can point to if they are criticised saying they do not condone their use, so they are covered. However its really the app developers problem if it screws up and doesn't help get any tickets.

Yes GFL are 'covered' to an extent (although query if this is really 'multi-hit software'), but they could very easily clear everything up with a statement that it either is or is not OK to use this app. At the moment it's totally unclear. The app's been widely promoted, it's not something they should be ignoring.

Reminiscent of their terrible comms over the late opening of the CV fields this year.

2 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Yes GFL are 'covered' to an extent (although query if this is really 'multi-hit software'), but they could very easily clear everything up with a statement that it either is or is not OK to use this app. At the moment it's totally unclear. The app's been widely promoted, it's not something they should be ignoring.

Reminiscent of their terrible comms over the late opening of the CV fields this year.

They could say something, but this risks See potentially getting involved in a spat with the developer, or whoever is promoting the app this close to ticket sales. I'd be doing the same if I were them - keep quiet and carry on as usual.

4 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

We know, though, as Kalifire wrote to them and asked them and they said it wasn't OK.

If this app works, I would be very much against it. The current way of getting tickets is mental, but it's the same for everyone and no one currently has an advantage. If the app works it would essentially give iPhone users the edge when getting tickets, which is massively against the spirit of the festival. Time will tell though, and it wouldn't surprise me if there ends up being some issue with it.

I'll be frantically hitting F5 over and over again and I'll continue to do so until they change the whole buying process. 

41 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Given the makers have essentially marketed this for Glastonbury, both the festival and See will be well aware of it. If it's within See's power to disable it, I'd imagine they would, although I'd be surprised if people were blocked. I'd imagine it'll simply divert to a page that advises them not to use multi-hit software and to try again without it.

Is anyone planning on using this tonight?

I'm trying for tickets on Sunday but going to test drive the app tonight and see what happens. Don't really want to use it, feels pretty immoral but if everyone's using it and it does work then it will be harder for the F5ers to get tickets. I think I'll use it as back up, if it gets to 9.25 on Sunday and I still haven't got tickets I'll probably have a massive panic and use it.

8 minutes ago, unclegorilla said:

I'm trying for tickets on Sunday but going to test drive the app tonight and see what happens. Don't really want to use it, feels pretty immoral but if everyone's using it and it does work then it will be harder for the F5ers to get tickets. I think I'll use it as back up, if it gets to 9.25 on Sunday and I still haven't got tickets I'll probably have a massive panic and use it.

If you're not actually trying for tickets tonight, would you mind not clogging up the system for us people who actually are? 

In fairness, if I downloaded a dodgy app on my phone that claimed to help me get Glastonbury tickets, I'd be highly skeptical and expect something to go wrong. I don't think they would have a problem cancelling tickets because it would be the fault of the app, not the festival. I highly doubt they will cancel the tickets though.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

I think causing more traffic tonight if you're not actually going to buy a ticket is pretty unfair on those that actually do. Enough people will be using this app tonight (whether on here or not) that really want coach tickets that we will hear of any problems pretty quickly. 

If it is banned and is choked/redirected and nobody gets tickets I'm pretty sure the "news" sites will be reporting it first thing. 

Yeah, what he said - more eloquently than me, above. Every year people "test-drive" the coach sale to see how "easy" it will be for Sunday. 

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I think causing more traffic tonight if you're not actually going to buy a ticket is pretty unfair on those that actually do. Enough people will be using this app tonight (whether on here or not) that really want coach tickets that we will hear of any problems pretty quickly. 

If it is banned and is choked/redirected and nobody gets tickets I'm pretty sure the "news" sites will be reporting it first thing. 

I have some friends trying for coach tickets so I'm getting theirs if I get through, I just meant I wasn't getting any for myself tonight.

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

In fairness, if I downloaded a dodgy app on my phone that claimed to help me get Glastonbury tickets, I'd be highly skeptical and expect something to go wrong. I don't think they would have a problem cancelling tickets because it would be the fault of the app, not the festival. I highly doubt they will cancel the tickets though.

The problem here though is that it is a valid Apple approved app where people are being charged £1.49 to use its service. It's not being dragged up from the depths or the dark web. 

If it isn't going to work (or be allowed to work) then this should be communicated to stop people buying the app for this sole purpose. 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

The problem here though is that it is a valid Apple approved app where people are being charged £1.49 to use its service. It's not being dragged up from the depths or the dark web. 

If it isn't going to work (or be allowed to work) then this should be communicated to stop people buying the app for this sole purpose. 

Being Apple approved and costing £1.50 doesn't mean it's not dodgy though :P

There's an impending disaster with this app one way or another though. It's a shame See havent issued a proper statement on it at this point.

13 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

So they're going to cancel thousands of people's tickets and say - "Hey, we told Kalifire! Don't you read eFests?"

I agree. I think GF/See are being very remiss in not explicitly addressing this. Even their reply to me was basically a fob-off to their T&C page. Given the amount of national media attention this has received, they should be putting out a very public statement condemning this technique and advising that anyone found using it will have their tickets cancelled. That would nip the whole thing in the bud. Keeping silent is tantamount to tacit approval regardless of what it says in section X, paragraph Y, subsection Z.

Owing to the lack of any official communication, we're now left with one of three scenarios:

1. Thousands of people use multi-hit software and get away with it. Not fair on the rest of us.

2. Thousands of people use it, get blocked and fail to get tickets because GF ignored the opportunity to address this.

3. Thousands of people book tickets and subsequently have them cancelled after purchase.

I think option '3' would be an absolute disaster for PR, even though it's absolutely reasonable. That would become the main story of the festival until the even itself, and the resale would be a nightmare. Option 1 - the most likely, I suspect - will have me frowning and tutting if I don't get tickets. Option 2 is the only reasonable one, but I just can't see it happening. This kind of software has been used before and the multi-hit terms has been around for years.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Being Apple approved and costing £1.50 doesn't mean it's not dodgy though :P

There's an impending disaster with this app one way or another though. It's a shame See havent issued a proper statement on it at this point.

Very true!!!

Dont get me wrong, I'm massively sceptical of the app and won't be buying it, it's just that I will be incredibly frustrated however if it turns out that using the app would have been fine all along and it allowed many people to gain an advantage by using it, whilst us 'tranditionalists' are sat here crying into our 'Sold Out' pages, wondering what might have been.