Who's Touring Around Glastonbury 2017?

Gnomicide

1 minute ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Foals are no bigger - probably smaller - than Biffy, if going by general sales.  

What Went Down has gone Gold - as every big rock album does, but it took 24 weeks to do so. On current projections, Biffy should cross that threshold when they tour, at twenty weeks.

And to an average music fan, who's going to know Mountain at My Gates over Many of Horror?

That said, I'd agree that Foals would be a good booking - but like Biffy, they need to prove on the next record that they're not in decline, or they may have to trade on the strength of a not hugely established back catalogue. 

aye Foals' newest album didn't quite give them the push i was expecting from them and was a bit of a disappointment in every respect (quality, sales etc). i can't see them doing anything other than headlining next time 'round, but as you say, if the next album isn't all that they could end up stalling which would be a shame. must be a decent contender for one of 2019's headliners though

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

aye Foals' newest album didn't quite give them the push i was expecting from them and was a bit of a disappointment in every respect (quality, sales etc). i can't see them doing anything other than headlining next time 'round, but as you say, if the next album isn't all that they could end up stalling which would be a shame. must be a decent contender for one of 2019's headliners though

Agreed. Of the acts I listed earlier, I feel Fall Out Boy are still rising commercially - both Foals and Biffy underperformed. But if you book one of them 2019 with an album out in July of the same year, it could probably have a knock on effect in boosting them again. 

On 29/10/2016 at 8:33 AM, FloorFiller said:

You say that, most said the same about Biffy that they were nailed on and it didn't happen. Opposites was a way better album imo but not a touch on Puzzles and Only Rev, it's the cheesier stuff on it I do like mind, the rest I don't care for.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

You say that, most said the same about Biffy that they were nailed on and it didn't happen. Opposites was a way better album imo but not a touch on Puzzles and Only Rev, it's the cheesier stuff on it I do like mind, the rest I don't care for.

The cheesier stuff is what transfers well to a huge field though. I think Biffy still have a decent chance of being in the mix, but that window will expire likely by the time we return in 2016 - unless of course they've posted a great new album in sales. Ellipsis is headed for Gold in the next four or five weeks I reckon (about 86,500 to 89,000 sales by my estimate so far) which is good enough for a festival slot. But you couldn't book Biffy on the strength of Ellipsis either - it would have to be a hit heavy show. Think I mocked up a setlist somewhere on here - though you've probably seen it...

One thing puzzles me, thewayjam. Why do you have so many downvotes? You seem one of the most measured posters on here :D 

18 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

The cheesier stuff is what transfers well to a huge field though. I think Biffy still have a decent chance of being in the mix, but that window will expire likely by the time we return in 2016 - unless of course they've posted a great new album in sales. Ellipsis is headed for Gold in the next four or five weeks I reckon (about 86,500 to 89,000 sales by my estimate so far) which is good enough for a festival slot. But you couldn't book Biffy on the strength of Ellipsis either - it would have to be a hit heavy show. Think I mocked up a setlist somewhere on here - though you've probably seen it...

One thing puzzles me, thewayjam. Why do you have so many downvotes? You seem one of the most measured posters on here :D 

I had no time for Ellipsis at all to be honest.

Thanks, because I gave opinions probably based on what I thought regardless of whether I like a band or not, whereas maybe my honesty for this was too much for many on here believing no one else could have one. I also liked to give a reason for a view and not just state it like it was all that could happen.

That added to this is a second username after I was called out every second for saying something someone didn't like or my opinion and view getting turned into something that wasn't. Probably a phase of a load of 18/20 year old son thinking they know best lol.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I had no time for Ellipsis at all to be honest.

Thanks, because I gave opinions probably based on what I thought regardless of whether I like a band or not, whereas maybe my honesty for this was too much for many on here believing no one else could have one. I also liked to give a reason for a view and not just state it like it was all that could happen.

That added to this is a second username after I was called out every second for saying something someone didn't like or my opinion and view getting turned into something that wasn't. Probably a phase of a load of 18/20 year old son thinking they know best lol.

As a man who was a big Biffy fan - and still is, and continues to sing their virtues as a headline act - Eliipsis, sales aside, felt like a watershed moment in the vein of The Gaslight Anthem's Get Hurt - a middling album that made a step too far in the wrong direction and one they may the price for. Not a killer in the vein of Artpop but something they will probably shun entirely when they tour behind album eight in three or four years (when I saw Gaslight on the Get Hurt Tour, they cut a load of the better Get Hurt songs out so they could bring in the hits to save it.)

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and - if they can provide sufficient reasoning - shouldn't be vilified for it (I say this because supporting Donald Trump for the reason that "he's not Clinton" is not an acceptable answer for any rational member). So you're alright by me! :D

They're not to my liking, but the only other British band I can think of making that step up to headliner by 2019 is The 1975.

Their latest album sales look to be a bit slower than Biffy Clyro, but they seem a lot more popular on the streaming side.

Also, after being dragged to 2 of their gigs, I imagine by 2019 a lot of their fan base at those gigs would be coming into festival going age.

51 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Hahahahha

On a Springsteen related note, Steve van Zandt confirmed that he would tour solo last night at his London show next suffer. No specific dates, but hints of summer '17 in Europe abound. Would make sense if the E Street Band is shutting up after the Australia jaunt.

Of course, E Street could continue with Tom Morello in place - but as Prophets of Rage are touring across Europe next summer too, I'd wager Springsteen may have solo shows lined up.

45 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Sometimes a prophet comes into the world, but the people just aren't prepared to hear his noble truths.

40 minutes ago, Krisesk said:

They're not to my liking, but the only other British band I can think of making that step up to headliner by 2019 is The 1975.

Their latest album sales look to be a bit slower than Biffy Clyro, but they seem a lot more popular on the streaming side.

Also, after being dragged to 2 of their gigs, I imagine by 2019 a lot of their fan base at those gigs would be coming into festival going age.

Their fanbase is already festival going age, at least judging by the fact it has been impossible to get in the tent every time they've played Reading! Pulled one of the biggest Other Stage crowds of the weekend this year, too. 

They're in the same territory as Alt-J, Two Door Cinema Club, Bastille etc have been in the recent past i.e. a Radio 1 buzz band who have the potential to top line-ups but only if they can keep getting bigger after the initial hype has gone.. Assuming their next album is out in 2018, they'll probably headline Reading that year and then - if they're still on an upwards climb - do Glastonbury either at the back end of that tour or in 2020 at the start of the next. Their trajectory could very well flatline from here to stop that happening though, they've sold out one night at the O2 on this tour but their arena dates aren't doing much business other than that.

Edited by Zac Quinn

26 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

On a Springsteen related note, Steve van Zandt confirmed that he would tour solo last night at his London show next suffer. No specific dates, but hints of summer '17 in Europe abound. Would make sense if the E Street Band is shutting up after the Australia jaunt.

Of course, E Street could continue with Tom Morello in place - but as Prophets of Rage are touring across Europe next summer too, I'd wager Springsteen may have solo shows lined up.

He has recorded a solo album, before his recent 'The River' E Street band tour, so it's very likely you are correct. reported here:

According to manager Jon Landau, Bruce Springsteen is preparing to release “a very different kind of record” as his next solo project. No release date has been announced for what would be Springsteen’s 19th studio effort.

Speaking to Billboard, Landau explains that his longtime client will follow up his highly successful world tour in support of last year’s expanded reissue of the 1980 album The River by releasing the as-yet unnamed project. “It’s a wonderful record,” he promised. “And we’ll see how the next year unfolds. … We just have a knack for not planning that far ahead. That’s our way.”

One thing Landau does make clear is that the apparent absence of the E Street Band doesn’t mean the new record will be a stripped-down affair along the lines of 1982’s Nebraska, 1995’s The Ghost of Tom Joad and 2005’s Devils & Dust. “I’m not talking about an acoustic record,” he said. “It is, in fact, a very expansive record, a very rich record. It’s one of Bruce’s best creative efforts.”

Edited by Avalon_Fields