Stage Predictions 2017

Gucci Piggy

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Sorry - 90 or 95 then. I had a teen metal phase and couldn't have named him till I saw Gonzo's post. If you'd have said Rob Halford, I'd have known he was JP's singer, but the other way round I wouldn't have been able to summon it. 

I'm probably not the best person to get involved in a debate about this because the majority of people I know that are music fans, and attend festivals, would know who he is. And that mostly includes non-metal fans. I can accept that I may be an outllier in this situation though!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the legend slot is here to stay and it suits the Sunday afternoon perfectly, but I don't really agree with this specific slot thing and hope Motörhead and ZZ top were just coincidences in those particular slots. I don't think it's good to create too many of these pre-defined niches in the lineup.. here you go here's your allloted bit of heritage metal, same again next year. I would rather things were kept fresh and also bands were there on merit rather than to fill a spot just because it's become a 'thing'.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Plenty of terrible acts on the Pyramid under no merit whatsoever.  I think it's a decent call to give these perennially square old duffers another wee moment in the sun.  It adds variety to the smorgasbord.

I agree but it doesn't have to be one specific slot each year, does it? If there's a suitable act touring then go for it, if there's no suitable act then don't bother, if there are 3 suitable acts then stick em all on. Doesn't have to be 3rd down the Pyramid on Friday, either. Stick em wherever they deserve to be based on the size of the act. That slot was probably correct for ZZ Top and Motorhead, but because of those acts playing the same slot we've ended up only considering acts who are of the same size and could also fit in that slot, which shouldn't really be the case.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Plenty of terrible acts on the Pyramid under no merit whatsoever.  I think it's a decent call to give these perennially square old duffers another wee moment in the sun.  It adds variety to the smorgasbord.

They are usually more round than square if truth be told.

FRIDAY

Pyramid

Radiohead, The XX, Elbow, A Tribe Called Quest, Christine & the Queens,Kris Kristofferson, Kate Tempest, Junun

Other

The Weeknd, Royal Blood, Lorde, You Me At Six, Halsey, British Sea Power,Nothing But Thieves, Rat Boy, King Gizzard, The Kooks

West Holts

Jamiroquai, St Germain, Jungle, Jackson Browne, BadBadNotGood, King Sunny Ade

The Park

Warpaint, Mark Lanegan Band, Birdy, Arab Strap, Whitney, Kaleo, Xavier Rudd, Cigarettes After Sex, Julia Jacklin

John Peel

Liam Gallagher, Charli XCX, Crystal Fighters, Sohn , Loyle Carner, Maggie Rogers, King Krule, Pond, The Lemon Twigs, The Amazons

SATURDAY

Pyramid

Foo Fighters, Noel Gallagher, Kaiser Chiefs, Brian Wilson, Kodaline, Dua Lipa, Michael Kiwanuka, Lucy Rose

Other

Alt-J Justice, Boy Better Know, Wiley, Jack Garratt, Slaves, The Kills, Kate Nash, Milky Chance, Cabbage

West Holts

The Jacksons, Solange, The Avalanches, Toots & the Maytals, Afriquoi, Cananlon de Timbiqui, United Vibrations

The Park

Bonobo, Wild Beasts, Tycho, Grandaddy, Angel Olsen, Asgeir, Margaret Glaspy , Kevin Morby, Honeyblood

John Peel

Haim, Foster the People, Everything Everything, The Hives, Phantogram, Broods, Temples, The Japanese House, Let’s Eat Grandma, The Parrots

SUNDAY

Pyramid

Ed Sheeran, Lady Gaga, Emeli Sande, Barry Gibb, Craig David, Clean Bandit, Blossoms, Black Dyke Band

Other

Green Day, Imagine Dragons, Phoenix, London Grammar, Circa Waves, Lukas Graham, Cage the Elephant , Declan McKenna, Sundara Karma

West Holts

Damian Marley, DJ Shadow, Erasure, Public Service Broadcasting, Goat , Romperayo

The Park

Laura Marling First Aid Kit, Kurt Vile, Sleaford Mods, Nick Mulvey, Ray BLK, Sunflower Bean, Margo Price

John Peel

Run the Jewels, Alunageorge , Teenage Fanclub, Nao, The Temper Trap, Shura, The Big Moon, October Drift

Edited by 01seb

4 hours ago, 01seb said:

FRIDAY

Pyramid

Radiohead, The XX, Elbow, A Tribe Called Quest, Christine & the Queens,Kris Kristofferson, Kate Tempest, Junun

Other

The Weeknd, Royal Blood, Lorde, You Me At Six, Halsey, British Sea Power,Nothing But Thieves, Rat Boy, King Gizzard, The Kooks

West Holts

The Park

Warpaint, Mark Lanegan Band, Birdy, Arab Strap, Whitney, Kaleo, Xavier Rudd, Cigarettes After Sex, Julia Jacklin

John Peel

Liam Gallagher, Charli XCX, Crystal Fighters, Sohn , Loyle Carner, Maggie Rogers, King Krule, Pond, The Lemon Twigs, The Amazons

SATURDAY

Pyramid

Foo Fighters, Noel Gallagher, Kaiser Chiefs, Brian Wilson, Kodaline, Dua Lipa, Michael Kiwanuka, Lucy Rose

Other

Alt-J Justice, Boy Better Know, Wiley, Jack Garratt, Slaves, The Kills, Kate Nash, Milky Chance, Cabbage

West Holts

The Jacksons, Solange, The Avalanches, Toots & the Maytals, Afriquoi, Cananlon de Timbiqui, United Vibrations

The Park

Bonobo, Wild Beasts, Tycho, Grandaddy, Angel Olsen, Asgeir, Margaret Glaspy , Kevin Morby, Honeyblood

John Peel

Haim, Foster the People, Everything Everything, The Hives, Phantogram, Broods, Temples, The Japanese House, Let’s Eat Grandma, The Parrots

SUNDAY

Pyramid

Ed Sheeran, Lady Gaga, Emeli Sande, Barry Gibb, Craig David, Clean Bandit, Blossoms, Black Dyke Band

Other

Green Day, Imagine Dragons, Phoenix, London Grammar, Circa Waves, Lukas Graham, Cage the Elephant , Declan McKenna, Sundara Karma

West Holts

Damian Marley, DJ Shadow, Erasure, Public Service Broadcasting, Goat , Romperayo

The Park

Laura Marling First Aid Kit, Kurt Vile, Sleaford Mods, Nick Mulvey, Ray BLK, Sunflower Bean, Margo Price

John Peel

Run the Jewels, Alunageorge , Teenage Fanclub, Nao, The Temper Trap, Shura, The Big Moon, October Drift

The Kills are in Athens on Saturday 

20 hours ago, Purple aki squat said:

Rainbow in the country at the time. Get them bad boys on

Let's have this one. The dates line up spot on - the problem is Blackmore won't do it for anything less than a prestigious slot.

Do find it brilliant that Blackmore's Rainbow have shifted more tickets than the current Deep Purple lineup in the UK though.

4 hours ago, 01seb said:

FRIDAY

Pyramid

Other
The Weeknd, Royal Blood, LordeYou Me At Six, Halsey, British Sea Power,Nothing But Thieves, Rat Boy, King Gizzard, The Kooks

West Holts

The Park

John Peel

SATURDAY

Pyramid

Other

West Holts

The Park

John Peel

SUNDAY

Pyramid

Other

West Holts

The Park

John Peel

Effectively an afternoon at the Pyramid on Friday and West Holts on Saturday for me on this one. That Sunday will see a lot of treking - though as I'll have done Erasure and Lady Gaga by then, I'll probably just sack off to John Peel after Barry Gibb.

Decent lineup.

I had a smile when I woke up today because I realised that poster time is this month. Really hope it blows me out of the water.

5 hours ago, 01seb said:

FRIDAY

Pyramid

Other

West Holts

The Park

John Peel

SATURDAY

Pyramid

Other

West Holts

The Park

John Peel

SUNDAY

Pyramid

Other

West Holts

The Park

John Peel

I would like to think Cage The Elephant would get a higher spot than third up on the Other, I can see them getting 4/5th down on the Pyramid, if not higher up on the Other.

Either way, I would take this lineup any day 

22 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

I didn't know that :cry:

The new FF song is so wonderful.

FJM isn't exclusive at EotR; it's sold as his 'first ever UK festival headline appearance,' so definitely not an exclusive. That's the only place that's announced him unless you count 6Music as a proper festival, and he's about around the time of Glasto, so I'd say things are looking good for an appearance. Hope they put him on the Pyramid.

8 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

FJM isn't exclusive at EotR; it's sold as his 'first ever UK festival headline appearance,' so definitely not an exclusive. That's the only place that's announced him unless you count 6Music as a proper festival, and he's about around the time of Glasto, so I'd say things are looking good for an appearance. Hope they put him on the Pyramid.

Reckon he'll get a decent Other slot myself but early-ish on the Pyramid would be ace.

28 minutes ago, Mesuri said:

I would like to think Cage The Elephant would get a higher spot than third up on the Other, I can see them getting 4/5th down on the Pyramid, if not higher up on the Other.

Either way, I would take this lineup any day 

Cage the Elephant really aren't that big at all - a couple up Other or mid-JP seems right for them I'd have thought. No way are they getting 4th/5th down the Pyramid.

Edited by FloorFiller

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

Hope they put him on the Pyramid.

I don't. His performances on SNL felt really intimate (even jus watchin on YouTube) so that'd be killed dead on the Pyramid. And also dunno how the ranting nature of his new tracks will grab people just standing there killing time. John Peel headline or sub for meee.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't. His performances on SNL felt really intimate (even jus watchin on YouTube) so that'd be killed dead on the Pyramid. And also dunno how the ranting nature of his new tracks will grab people just standing there killing time. John Peel headline or sub for meee.

Can't see him in the JP myself. Considering his current celebrity and no doubt how well this new album will do I think they'll push him to one of the two bigger stages for sure. Like I said, hopefully Pyramid, probably Other. His shite dancing demands a bigger audience.

5 hours ago, 01seb said:

FRIDAY

Pyramid

Other

West Holts

The Park

John Peel

SATURDAY

Pyramid

Other

West Holts

The Park

John Peel

SUNDAY

Pyramid

Other

West Holts

The Park

John Peel

No The XX and Royal Blood clash please.

2 hours ago, Mash011 said:

I actually meant Fleet Foxes, but I do love Misty too. I expect him to be there, top-end of the Park bill.

Just now, majormajormajor said:

I actually meant Fleet Foxes, but I do love Misty too. I expect him to be there, top-end of the Park bill.

Played the Park last time so I'd expect him to be elsewhere this year.

Fleet Foxes being an exclusive is a real shame though. That new song is incredible. Hope to catch them somewhere down the line.

24 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Is there any reason everyone thinks Jamiroquai will be on the Friday and not Sunday? That Radiohead clash would be a killer   

I think most of those predictions were originally based on Kraftwerk  only being able to play Sunday. Now that's been ruled out I don't know of any reason, not to say there isn't one 

13 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Really? I'd say that Pure Comedy was pretty far from intimate. That shit's epic. Perfect for blasting out of a massive stage, and  not right to be hidden away in a tent.