Sun claim ed sheeran is headlining

Matt42

2 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I actually feel like the Roses are the act with the least amount of focal point from those 3. But maybe thats just me.

They'd draw a huge crowd and bring the communal singalong element.

For that slot you either need to bring a party (Roses would) or offer something else like Adele or Kanye.

Edited by Hugh Jass

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

In that case I'd go:

Fri - Radiohead

Sat - Roses

Sun - Sheeran

The last few Saturday headliners have been the focal point of the whole festival - Adele, Kanye, Metallica, Stones. The whole build up was "can they perform? Should they be there? etc" They generated a buzz and interest that stretched far wider than just the festival.

Sheeran may be a worthy headliner, but he won't generate anywhere near the interest required for a Saturday headliner. 

A valid point well made.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

In that case I'd go:

Fri - Radiohead

Sat - Roses

Sun - Sheeran

The last few Saturday headliners have been the focal point of the whole festival - Adele, Kanye, Metallica, Stones. The whole build up was "can they perform? Should they be there? etc" They generated a buzz and interest that stretched far wider than just the festival.

Sheeran may be a worthy headliner, but he won't generate anywhere near the interest required for a Saturday headliner. 

Sheeran is one of the biggest current acts in the world.

biggest selling album of 2014, most streamed artist of all-time on Spotify. his crowd and TV audience will be Adele-levels of interest, so there's absolutely no reason why he can't be on Saturday.

I feel like people who doubt sheeran are falling into the cycle that happens every year

"I don't think they are big enough to headline Glastonbury" (when they clearly are)

"I don't think they will be able to captivate the crowd" (when they will)

"I don't think they have enough songs" (Usually said before said artist releases new material)

Then this act headlines and everyone talks about how much of a surprise they were

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Sheeran is one of the biggest current acts in the world.

biggest selling album of 2014, most streamed artist of all-time on Spotify. his crowd and TV audience will be Adele-levels of interest, so there's absolutely no reason why he can't be on Saturday.

I had to check out his Spotify there, one his tunes has 683 MILLION streams, that's fucking mammoth 

Edit; that's a clear 150 MILLION clear of that Hello number from Adele, Jesus 

Edited by Mezhyp1

4 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I had to check out his Spotify there, one his tunes has 683 MILLION streams, that's fucking mammoth 

Edit; that's a clear 150 MILLION clear of that Hello number from Adele, Jesus 

Adele sells more than him, but he's sold a ridiculous amount of albums

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/ed-sheerans-x-becomes-one-of-the-biggest-selling-albums-of-the-decade__8695/

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I feel like people who doubt sheeran are falling into the cycle that happens every year

"I don't think they are big enough to headline Glastonbury" (when they clearly are)

"I don't think they will be able to captivate the crowd" (when they will)

"I don't think they have enough songs" (Usually said before said artist releases new material)

Then this act headlines and everyone talks about how much of a surprise they were

No question from me that he's big enough or will captivate a crowd, just wonder about the big singalong aspect for Sunday night.  Happy to be proved wrong.  Maybe I was just stung by Mumford in '13....

1 minute ago, Quark said:

No question from me that he's big enough or will captivate a crowd, just wonder about the big singalong aspect for Sunday night.  Happy to be proved wrong.  Maybe I was just stung by Mumford in '13....

I strongly think he'l be a saturday night headliner

Everyone is singing along!

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I may have underestimated how popular he is.

Always thought he was just a very polite and earnest, if not rather dull, man with a guitar.

It's the global success that's impressive - and difficult to achieve in this day and age.

Comparatively speaking, acts like Oasis and The Stone Roses who never broke America, are minnows.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I strongly think he'l be a saturday night headliner

Everyone is singing along!

Fair.  I won't be watching him either way, but fair play to the lad.

I'm still holding out for a headline combo (stages TBC) of Depeche Mode, Stone Roses and Daft Punk. A man can dream :)

Last time he played Glastonbury I think I watched a choir in the green fields for half an hour. That was a weird time. 

Anyway, no denying how big he is. Not my thing but I'm sure he'd nail it. You can't argue three dates at Wembley really. 

11 hours ago, T-Mouse said:

Paddy Power offering 12/1 for the Saturday night. Not bad odds. Foo Fighters Friday. Ed Sheeran Saturday. Radiohead Sunday. I'd take that.

I don't see Ed being anything bar Sunday and no way do I see Radiohead closing the fest. 

But it was defo the safest money for ny night I put on but I won't be putting any on at 12/1 Saturday.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't see Ed being anything bar Sunday and no way do I see Radiohead closing the fest. 

But it was defo the safest money for ny night I put on but I won't be putting any on at 12/1 Saturday.

Exactly my thoughts

Ed would headline Saturday. No doubt in my mind at all. He is a massive star and will get all the same talk as Adele did and will do exactly what Adele did and smash it.

I do not like his music that much but he is an entertainer and would grab the crowd by the danglies and take them on a ride with him.

I'm pretty 50/50 on whether he'd be Saturday or Sunday for me. He's perfect for the big tv slot on Saturday night and he's perfect for the locals on Sunday. I think the Saturday tv numbers are probably more important to the festival (could be wrong) so I'm leaning towards that.

Depends who else they have, really. If they have another superstar such as Beyoncé who could do just as well on tv then they can stick him Sunday. If not, Saturday.

No idea why I've typed any of this. It achieved nothing. I'm bored and have nothing to do but speculate on here.

I'll believe that person with a The National avatar that he's been offered Sat night.

FYI (schedules allowing), Saturday night they try and get the big headliner on, as that is when the festival is at peak capacity. Sunday they go with something commercial, as that's when the locals come in for the day (before anyone says Kasabian, they were bumped up remember).

Edited by Homer