Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It will all be ok in June.  Then I'll be whole again.

Except I'll probably do something daft like getting utterly w*nkered on the Thursday and be unable to leave my tent until Saturday afternoon.

Barely Drinking Friday is gonna be my game plan. 

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's not my plan.  I'm planning to get in the exact right frame of mind to enjoy the band fully.

I had to seriously work hard not to get absolutely pole axed for Arctic Monkeys. I was very concerned the excitement was gonna take over. I just thought to myself how much I'd hate myself if I woke up on the Saturday and couldn't remember it. Ball bagged on the Weds and Thurs (a given), woke up Friday afternoon and just had a few drinks leading up to the gig..maybe a tiny bit of the old Mardy, but just the right amount. Oh ar. 

Last time I saw Radiohead at the O2, I can only remember hearing Karma Police...then suddenly being on the tube....thining what the fuck has just happened? This was in my mind for the AM gig, knowing what state I'm likely to get into. 

It's gonna be difficult this year...

3 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I had to seriously work hard not to get absolutely pole axed for Arctic Monkeys. I was very concerned the excitement was gonna take over. I just thought to myself how much I'd hate myself if I woke up on the Saturday and couldn't remember it. Ball bagged on the Weds and Thurs (a given), woke up Friday afternoon and just had a few drinks leading up to the gig..maybe a tiny bit of the old Mardy, but just the right amount. Oh ar. 

Last time I saw Radiohead at the O2, I can only remember hearing Karma Police...then suddenly being on the tube....thining what the fuck has just happened? This was in my mind for the AM gig, knowing what state I'm likely to get into. 

It's gonna be difficult this year...

All too real for me :lol: I have to be so careful how much I drink before/at shows or I'll just forget the entire thing. Was a close call with Radiohead at the Roundhouse - I didn't forget any entire songs, but there are patches for sure. Have definitely forgotten huge portions of Glastonbury headliners though.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

All too real for me :lol: I have to be so careful how much I drink before/at shows or I'll just forget the entire thing. Was a close call with Radiohead at the Roundhouse - I didn't forget any entire songs, but there are patches for sure. Have definitely forgotten huge portions of Glastonbury headliners though.

Yeh it's a horrible feeling after, especially for a gig you've really looked forward to. There is definitely a balance to be found, steady drinking throughout the day is fine I've found. And if you're partial to anything else, small doses an hour or so before and assess the situation.

To be fair a lot of gigs I can't remember much of, other than having had a great time. Sigur Ros last year for instance just felt like a blur and an overload of the senses, but I know I had an amazing time. Managed to get in a perfect state for LCD Soundsystem last year, as apparently did thousands of others 

I've been debating on whether I should get myself excited for this (bare with me on this....)

I havent invested any time in Radiohead for quite a long time now, and as such, can be accused of being a cretin by only really knowing The Bends.

However, I know I will regret not hearing Fake Plastic Trees from The Pyramid, by a band from my home town.

So. Help required. Do I look at recent set lists and go from there?? I want to be able to enjoy the set because I hear songs I like or at least know! 

Please forgive me, gang. 

4 hours ago, McCor said:

I've been debating on whether I should get myself excited for this (bare with me on this....)

I havent invested any time in Radiohead for quite a long time now, and as such, can be accused of being a cretin by only really knowing The Bends.

However, I know I will regret not hearing Fake Plastic Trees from The Pyramid, by a band from my home town.

So. Help required. Do I look at recent set lists and go from there?? I want to be able to enjoy the set because I hear songs I like or at least know! 

Please forgive me, gang. 

I would say give in rainbows a go, just a fantastic album.

4 hours ago, McCor said:

Please forgive me, gang. 

I wouldn't hold your breath for Fake Plastic Trees. I mean, they may play it, but it's more of an anomaly in their setlists these days than a staple (only played three times last year).

19 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

And I agree with this - their latter day masterpiece. Experimental yet completely accessible, and *fingers crossed* will have a fair few songs from it aired on the Pyramid (Bodysnatchers, Nude, Weird Fishes and Reckoner being the most likely if you just wanna dive in to them). After that go with OK Computer and Kid A, their other masterpieces. They start their tour at the end of this month so that will hopefully be a good indicator of what kind of setlist we'll be dealing with.

38 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

This entirely. @McCor I think it's the most accessible post OKC. Start with that and then cherry pick songs from the other albums based on recent set lists.

If I had to pick a single moment that really got me into Radiohead it'd be the moment where the harps come in on 'Motion Picture Soundtrack'. Breathtaking from the first listen. Would absolutely love it if that song made it back into the setlists - not holding out much hope thought sadly. :(

I don't know whether to make the effort for Manchester or Glasgow or both or neither (if tickets become available again). I live in Scotland most of the time so Glasgow makes sense, but it might just be another festival show where most of the crowd aren't that bothered.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the band broke up this year, so may be worth seeing them as much as possible.

Edited by Chawk

Just now, Chawk said:

But I wouldn't be surprised if the band broke up this year, so may be worth seeing them as much as possible l.

Surely after so long together Radiohead aren't ever going to 'break up'? They will probably go back in to hibernation after this year, and who knows how long that'll last, but I don't really see any signs of them doing the whole melodramatic 'this band is over' thing.

15 minutes ago, Chawk said:

I don't know whether to make the effort for Manchester or Glasgow or both or neither (if tickets become available again). I live in Scotland most of the time so Glasgow makes sense, but I think it could end up being a talkative crowd, which makes it hard for me to enjoy a gig these days. I didn't used to be this arsey about it, but its just developed.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the band broke up this year, so may be worth seeing them as much as possible.

Although it obviously won't be jam packed full of diehards like their own shows I can't imagine the crowd at Glasgow will be too talky as I don't imagine many people will've bought tickets if they weren't fans, so outside of a huge act being announced for that day that draws in the idiots I think you'll be fine - just get up front with the rest of the diehards.

As for them breaking up, I've mellowed on the idea of it happening but still have a nagging feeling in the back of my head that it could happen. Hopefully not though and, like Mash says, they'll just go away for another few years to do their own things before coming back again.

5 hours ago, McCor said:

Exactly in the same boat. I'm cautiously optimistic it will be played, if only because they seemed a bit taken aback by the ferocity of its reception across those final three shows. Watching Periscopes, it was like an eruption.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I wouldn't hold your breath for Fake Plastic Trees. I mean, they may play it, but it's more of an anomaly in their setlists these days than a staple (only played three times last year).

This be the problem. The likelihood, if we go by last year's setlists, is about 12.5% or so. That being said, I'm hopeful it'll appear at the festivals.

Regarding them "splitting up", I don't see it, or at least not in a way that will be instant recognisable.  They'll just go off and do their own stuff between albums as normal and never actually come back together to tour or record again. I suspect eventually there will be an extra long gap between albums, but they'll still reconvene in the end.

In short, we'll never know that they've split up until one of them dies between albums and then we'll know in hindsight that they effectively 'split up' 12 years earlier.

56 minutes ago, Chawk said:

I don't know whether to make the effort for Manchester or Glasgow or both or neither (if tickets become available again). I live in Scotland most of the time so Glasgow makes sense, but it might just be another festival show where most of the crowd aren't that bothered.

I think we'll be ok for Glasgow, from what I've noticed most people who are going to more than one day of TRNSMT are going Saturday and Sunday, seems like a bit of a split between Radiohead and the other days thankfully.

9 hours ago, kingbadger said:

To be fair a lot of gigs I can't remember much of, other than having had a great time. Sigur Ros last year for instance just felt like a blur and an overload of the senses, but I know I had an amazing time. Managed to get in a perfect state for LCD Soundsystem last year, as apparently did thousands of others 

Mate of mine is like Rain Man when it comes to gigs. I'll remember snippets and highlights and he can rattle off entire setlists of gigs 10 years ago that I'd forgotten I was at.

6 hours ago, McCor said:

Please forgive me, gang. 

Mentioned earlier in the thread that a good entry level post-OKC run of tracks are;

Optimistic. There, There. Bodysnatchers. Burn the Witch. Present Tense.

As you've said you're not really familiar with OKC either I'd throw in few from that (which you'll almost certainly recognise straight away);

Paranoid Android. Karma Police. No Surprises.

If you're still keen after listening to all those come back and we can step it up to intermediate level.

We'll have you making lists and weeping at the mere mention of Reckoner by Sunday.

• Upvote 1