Rate the acts you saw

FloorFiller

4 minutes ago, OBface said:

I'm a little surprised to be honest.

The girl I went with is a hard out Coldplay fan. 100% her favourite band. But she left after half an hour for LCD as she felt they just weren't the right thing to end Glastonbury on and said she would have much preferred an afternoon slot. Made me think about placing bands at a time that most suits them rather than according to popularity. Do any festivals do that? 

Pleased everyone had such a good time wherever they were :) 

if i'm remembering correctly Bestival often order acts in accordance to where they're best suited rather than in order of popularity, although the headliners are still always on last. thing is, if you stick an act like Coldplay (or another headliner) on at any other time than last on, the crowds are going to be ridiculous with not much competition against them (and it sounds like they were ridiculous enough as it is), and also you'd have to find either another headliner sized act or appropriate act to close the day with, which is gonna be pricey and/or difficult

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Flysheet said:

Thursday

Smyths 7, would have been more if we could have got nearer

Arcadia 9, first time for me and awesome

Friday

James 6, seen them many times since late 80s and this was by numbers, them running late meant I missed Hobo Jones...grrr

2 Door 6, not my thing but not unpleasant

Jess G 3, deffo not my choice tho a good voice

ZZ 6, had to see them I suppose but should probs have seen Editors or White Denim

Foals 8 and that's because I don't know their stuff

Muse 8, have seen them loads and their own shows are always 10

Saturday

Nothing But Thieves 9, brilliant. Saw them on rec of my 14 y o. Love them

Squeeze 8, down the front, top quality and still got it

Baaba Maal 7, great to listen to in the sunshine

Glen Matlock 8, loved his wit, want to see him in a pub or small venue please

Madness 7, apparently came across brilliantly on tv. Bit flat halfway back!

TLSP 7. Arrogant but I do love Alex

Tame Impala 9, saw them supporting Foos 5 years ago and boy have they improved!

Tom Robinson 8, caught the back end of his set in Leftfield. Got 2468 and a couple of other tracks, plus a bloody great political speech. Forgot what a top bloke he is.

New Order 8, just still doing it after all those years and a great light show

Sunday

Paul Heaton 8, seen him and Jacqui five times in various places last two years and always make me smile

Michael Kawanuka 7, went cos of my Mrs and suitably impressed and not what I expected. This also may be down to Brothers Coconut Cider

Fisherman's Friends 10. Utterly brilliant comedic singalong while sheltering from downpour. Hey ho and up she rises

Bootleg Beatles 4, like eh? Wtf? Are they serious? At least you know the words...

Coldplay 10. Vowed to be nowhere near. Then heard the sound check from our tent in Cockmill. Then got one of those wristbands. Wow, just wow, perfect closing band with a superb tribute to Viola Beach and strutting our stuff to SNF.

You must of hit it the same time as me - i'd just seen Hollie Cook at the Gully and had wondered over towards  Leftfield and heard 2468.. being played in the distance. Just like you you forget how politically motivated he was/is and how relevant a 30 year old Power in the Darkness still is today.

Did anyone see the Selecter play the same slot on Sunday? - best of the weekend for me.

I camp in Oxylers so see a lot of the acts on there without even intending to which leads to some nice discoveries, and some musical atrocities, but here goes..
Friday:-
James 6/10.

Underwhelming as I was looking forward to them. Not knowing much of their new material weakened the set for me personally.
Blossoms 5/10.
Can we just add them to the indie landfill section of NME and be done with it?
Christine & The Queens 6.5/10.
Saw half the set from the tent before moving further afield for food. Very good from what I saw, would be interested to check out a full set!
Catfish & The Bottlemen (secret set) 7.5/10.
Enjoyed the opportunity to see these guys play a stripped down set!
ZZ Top 8/10.
True rock and roll at Glasto. Following the Motorhead 2015 slot, I hope third down Pyramid Friday becomes a staple of this sort of ilk! 
Bring Me The Horizon 7/10.
Underwhelming lack of old material with only songs from the past two 'softer' albums. Crowd were made for it though.
Bastille 8/10.
Strike me down for this but I had great fun, and their popularity can't be denied. Field was rammed!
Muse 10/10.
Is there a better live band on the planet? 

Saturday:-
Haelos 6/10. 

Nice chilled start to the morning, thoroughly good 'background' music.
Shura 3/10.
I napped in my camping chair whilst listening. Enough said.
St Paul & The Broken Bones 7/10.
This bloke has a voice and a half. One of my favourite discoveries of the festival!
Beans on Toast 8/10.
It isn't a Glastonbury unless I see this man and this was his best set yet. Giving him an hour on Avalon seemed like a celebration and he certainly treated it like one. See you next, Jay!
Madness 6.5/10.
Another underwhelming act but primarily down to a unusually volatile crowd atmosphere around me. Band were as good as usual but ended up leaving early!
Tom Odell 4/10.
I just don't get why this guy is so big? His voice was weaker than 99% of acts that played the Other Stage over the course of the weekend.
The 1975 6/10.
My girlfriend described them as a band from the wrong decade and she's not wrong. New album is pish so watered down the set massively.
Chvrches 9/10.
One of the highlights of the weekend. Touting them now as a future headliner.
Adele 9/10.
Thought I would go and check her out and leave for New Order. From the moment she sang the first line of 'Hello' I was awestruck and stayed, goosebumps and all, the entire set! I'm a convert!!

Sunday:-
Newton Faulkner, 5/10.

We get you got big from that TITP cover of Bohemian Rhapsody. But seriously, stop now.
Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott 7/10.
Love a good sing-song and this set was even better received than the one they played a week prior supporting Stone Roses.
Harry Pane, 9/10.
First ever visit to Rabbit Hole to see a local artist from near my home town and the perfect soundtrack for a broken man by lunchtime on the Sunday of Glastonbury - go check him out!
Jeff Lynne's ELO, 7/10.
Great set but no 'I was there' moment for me like I've had previously from Dolly's and Lionel's legends slots. [Cher for 2017]
Years & Years, 2/10.
The 2 marks is for the frontman's speech about equality.
Cyndi Lauper, 6/10.
Dragged along and enjoyed the ones I knew. For a 62 year old, she can still sing though!
LCD Soundsystem, 8/10.
After Cyndi played the 4 songs I knew with time to spare in the set, managed to trek across and catch the last 4 songs of these guys. Biggest regret of the weekend is not having these as my Sunday headliner!!

Wednesday

Back of the car in front – 9 hour set on A39 – Not a fan: 0/10

Thursday

Js & The Lockerbillies on Avalon Café – Nice bit of Rock n Roll with a superb Johnny Cash triple whammy: 7/10

Vodka Jellies Karaoke Band on Avalon Cafe – Always good fun: 8/10

The Buffalo Skinners on Avalon Café – Enjoyable enough but wouldn’t go out my way: 6/10

Vodka Jellies Karaoke Band on Croisant Neuf – 2 songs from Eavis but hang on, some of these people are ringers, same as in Avalon with a different name: 7/10

Mik Artistik on Gaz’s Rocket Lounge – Far from the best I’ve seen him, don’t think the venue helped: 6/10

Friday

James on The Other – Enjoyed it but would have got a better reception if they’d replaced one or two of the five from the new album with old hits: 8/10

Hobo Jones on Avalon – Always a highlight: 9/10

John Fairhurst on Small World – Took so long on the sound check we gave up, so no idea

Ben Miller Band – I had an 8 way clash for this spot but like to think I made the right choice, superb blues & bluegrass: 9/10

ZZ Top on Pyramid – Marvellous, La Grange probably song of the weekend: 9/10

Billy Bragg on Leftfield – Much needed music therapy after the morning’s news. Angry Billy puts on a good show: 9/10

Various on Caberet tent – Good night, Joe Lycett particularly was on good form: 8/10

Saturday

Car Seat Headrest on The Park – Great stuff, nice and noisy, easily the youngest band I saw all weekend: 7/10

St Paul & The Broken Bones on The Other – The band I was most looking forward to and they didn’t disappoint. Sublime vocals, really tight band and great shoes – 10/10

Glen Matlock on Acoustic – Alright: 6/10

Madness on Pyramid – Poor sound where I was standing plus some annoying people talking loudly (“I love Madness”, “Me too”, “Let’s shout crap at each other while they’re playing then shall we?”) until we moved to get away from them. Bit disappointed really: 6/10

Paul Carrack on Acoustic – a combination of being too knackered to get to Leftfield and wanting to get a good spot for Art meant I missed Ferocious Dog and ended up here. He was alright, good singing from the crowd but all a bit Radio 2: 6/10

Art Garfunkel on Acoustic – from the sublime to the ridiculous, winner of the “Oh Christ, another poem Award” but also some of the most beautiful moments of the festival: 8/10

Various on Caberet Tent – Not as good as previous night, Tom Mones the highlight: 7/10

Hobo Jones & Friend on Avalon Café – Second dose of Hobo with added Atilla The Stockbroker and Ken from Ferocious Dog – 7/10

Sunday

Kamasi Washington on West Holts – Only saw the first two songs but they lasted 30 minutes. Obviously very competent musicians, the vocalist is stealing a living though: 6/10

Jeff Lynne’s ELO on Pyramid – Loved it but a combination of the weather and not exactly being a great showman left the crowd rather flat: 8/10

Band of Horses on John Peel – Just wasn’t feeling it, no spark: 5/10

Guy Garvey on The Park – Love a bit of Guy, and love his solo album. He always seems to be enjoying it more than anyone else in the field: 9/10

The Selecter on Leftfield – I’ve seen this twice before and had a great time but something was lacking here, gave up half way through: 5/10

The original plan was to see King Kurt at The Unfair Ground but the mud had taken its toll and once again I ended up at Various on Caberet tent – No-one any good really – 3/10

James - 6/10

Night Beats - 8/10

Vince Staples - 8/10

Ezra Furman - 7/10 (missed the beginning)

White Denim - 5/10

Foals - 7/10

Underworld - 9/10

Wolf Alice - 7/10

The Last Shadow Puppets - 8/10

The Very Best - 7/10

CHVRCHES - 8/10

New Order - 7/10

Hinds - 9/10

PJ Harvey - 7/10

LCD Soundsystem - 10/10

Bases on that my top three placings of the weekend would be

1) LCD Soundsystem

2) Hinds/Underworld

3) CHVRCHES/TLSP/Vince Staples/Night Beats

James 6/10- not a great atmosphere around where I was standing, but they played some fantastic songs and I did enjoy!  Favourite was Tomorrow I think, although Laid of course was great!

Blossoms 4/10- Shame as did listen to them a fair bit in the run up, but ended up just another indie band lost on a big stage.  Maybe would have been better in a smaller tent.

Christine and the Queens- 8/10- cheered the group up no end, despite the shower!

Frightened Rabbit 8/10- Others have said they didn't enjoy this set, but we were pretty close to the front and thought they were great!  Didn't catch them later though.

Foals- 7/10- I've not heard loads of their stuff, but thought their performance was solid.

Muse- 7/10- Decided it was time to see my first (full, proper) Pyramid headliner and at this point wasn't planning to see Adele.  Loved the songs that I knew, thought they put on a good show, but it was a little long!

St Paul and the Broken Bones- 9/10- Combo of sunshine and their uplifting tunes made this one of my favourite sets of the festival.  I dragged others to see it too and they were all pleased that I did :-)

Jagwar Ma 8/10- My friend suggested we see these, I had heard loads of them on the radio and wasn't disappointed.  Amazing to dance to and I think I got sunburnt.  Watched it on i-player and it was not as good!!

This Is the Kit 6/10- Saw her at Celtic Connections and she was brilliant, this set took a lot longer to get going but when it did it was great

Tame Impala 9/10- Loved it! The Less I Know The Better's opening bars could be my festival moment.

Adele- 9/10- Didn't catch it all, but what I did catch was fantastic.  Would have loved to have stayed but.....

Treacherous Orchestra 10/10- Dragged a group of us to this as well, and they all loved it.  Brilliant way to end Saturday bouncing up and down in the Avalon tent.

The Elephant Sessions 8/10- These guys are fantastic musicians.  I think their early slot was a shame, as have seen them in concert before and the atmosphere was amazing.  This set seemed a little quiet compared, but they were still ace.

Mystery Jets 6/10- Getting tired now, was on the edge of the tent, loved the oldies.  Maybe should have made more of an effort.

Jeff Lynne's ELO- 5/10- I should have seen Bat for Lashes.  We were just all so tired, we just stood there in the rain.

Saint Etienne 8/10- So my tired group dispersed and I trekked up to the Park to see these alone.  However I too was tired and retreated to a bench at the back to watch them.  The light drizzle over the entire site and their wistful pop was another Glasto moment for me

PJ Harvey- 10/10- Brilliant.  Even if she didn't play Sheela-Na-Gig.

LCD Soundsystem 10/10- I'd seen them before and didn't have a great gig, so wondered whether to see them again or just go and sing along to Yellow.  So glad I saw them.  Possibly my favourite set of the weekend and a real moment.  May never get the chance to see them again either.

It's taken me nearly a week to get over it, but now I'm ready to give this a go.

James 7/10: Great way to start the weekend. Couldn't give a toss that they didn't play Sit Down, they have far better songs, some of which they played. Sometimes and Getting Away With It were highlights. 

Blossoms 7.5/10: First time I'd seen these, impressed. Think their set was slightly shorter than it should have been due to the delay but moaning, they just got on with it and nailed it, in my opinion. Will see them again!

Two Door Cinema Club 7/10: Saw them a lot around 2010/11, but not since. Highly enjoyed seeing them again after such a long time. The old ones still sound great, and hopefully the new album will live up to the previous. 

Editors 6/10: Always solid live live, but I've seen them a few times now and this was exactly as I expected. 

Foals 9.5/10: Utterly nailed it from start to finish. I've seen them 6ish times now and this was by far the best. The sunset, the setlist, the tone of their set all worked perfectly. Two Steps Twice was my second favourite moment of the year, and finished off of cracking few songs. Would have been 10/10, but I can only give that once! 

Muse 8/10: Got a good spot and really enjoyed it. Seen it all before, but didn't make it any less fun with all our group in the same place!

Nothing But Thieves 7/10: Good crowd for an 11:50am set, they seemed chuffed as well which helped. Enjoyable set, they'll be higher next year. 

Squeeze 7/10: Saw a few songs walking across the back of the Pyramid Field, sounded like fun.

Wolf Alice: 9/10: Transition to the bigger stage was seamless, and contrary to other comments I thought the crowd were really into it. Maybe that was just our area! Was really looking forward to this, and wasn't disappointed! The sentiment behind Bros always gets me, and Silk was special. 

Madness 8/10: Took a while to get going, but the run of hits in the second half of the set was brilliant. 

King Blues 9/10: I knew they'd be spiky, but given the referendum result gave it extra spice. Great crowd, excellent atmosphere - much fun! 

Chvrches 10/10: Highlight of the weekend for me. They were always good, but this set just showed how much they've grown as performers. Lauren was always an exceptional singer, now she's an exceptional frontwoman. I thought that Clearest Blue would be the moment of the weekend for me, and it was! I needed a few minutes after this to come down! 

M83 8/10: It was a toss-up with these and New Order but I made the right choice. Was a total party! I only new a couple of songs but it didn't matter, was just a good excuse for a drunk dance on a Saturday night.

Mystery Jets 8.5/10: So enjoyable, and so glad they got a great crowd. The setlist showed their back catalogue nicely, and demonstrated how many great tunes they've had over the years. New album has some great tunes, hopefully this kind of set pushes them up a few festival bills. 

Band Of Horses 9/10: Was really looking forward to them as I'd never seen them before, and glad that they lived up to my expectations. Excellent live band. 

Of Monsters and Men: 7/10: They were good, but preferred them when I saw them at Reading in 2012 before anyone knew about them. Still fun though - sadly the singer's banter about the Iceland-England game came down their way!

Coldplay 9.5/10: If I'm being totally honest, I've always wanted to see Coldplay live, but not enough to shell out for their ticket prices. But this blew me away, the whole production and the wristbands was all amazing and even the new songs that I don't like were made to sound excellent live. Fair play, a great way to end the festival and a big highlight! 

James - 6.5

Christine and the Queens- 7.5

YAK - 7

Half Moon Run - 8

ZZ top - 7.5

Foals - 8

Underworld - 9

Travis - 10

The Last Shadow Puppets - 7

Tame Impala - 8.5

Adele - 9

ELO - 7

Ellie Goulding - 0.00000000001 (Got Lazy... honestly the worst thing I've endured)

Beck - 7.5

LCD Soundsystem - 9.5

Edited by T-Mouse

On 29 June 2016 at 10:22 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Whilst everything you say I understand, and respect - my post isn't really aimed at you.  You say you have seen them 5 times. You are obviously not a new fan. If you like them, fair enough. 

I don't understand what would have won over new fans on this board and they seemingly have done.

They are an act I'll just never "get". It looked visually great, with the lights and wristbands etc, but sounded completely dull musically to my ears.

I'm pleased those there did enjoy it. Im just shocked at the overwhelming great response on here. (Not so much the outside world, but on here we seem to think differently!)

Yeah I've had similar thoughts too. I'm glad LCD were the momentous, incredible, one of the best ever live experiences they were because otherwise I'd be in the position of regretting I didn't see Coldplay. Which would be a sorry situation to find myself in. 

Of course it's a "you had to be there" thing, but I can't imagine giving a show top marks if I don't love most of the songs they're playing. For me the wristband thing sounds nice but a bit gimmicky. 

That said, as much as I enjoy viewing LCD on iPlayer, it just does look like a very good performance of some great songs. It can't capture the feelings and energy amongst the crowd at all. So maybe the Coldplay thing is similar. 

Thursday

Land of the Giants  5/10

The Hot Sprockets  6/10

Smooth Sailor  7/10

Friday

Orchestra of Syrian Musicians + Damon Albarn & friends  7/10

Rokia Traoré  6/10

DakhaBrakha  8/10

Goitse  6/10

The Alarm  7/10

Ed Harcourt  4/10

Sharon Shannon  10/10

Hothouse Flowers  9/10

Underworld  7/10

Dagamba  5/10

Saturday

Beans On Toast  9/10

Billy Bragg's radical roundup feat. Will Varley, Lewis & Leigh, Emily Cappell   8/10

Kurt Vile  6/10

Ernest Ranglin  7/10

Tom Robinson & band  8/10

New Order  5/10

Sunday

She Drew The Gun  7/10

Eska  6/10

Sona Jobarteh  7/10

Patty Griffin  8/10

Joanne Shaw Taylor  7/10

P J Harvey  10/10

Cyndi Lauper  9/10

James 8 just a great live band and Tim is a star front man. 

Blossoms 6 first time I've seen them and won't be last 

Aurora 8 fantastic energy one of my hilights of festival 

Half moon run 6 not overly inspiring 

Zz top 6 fun but no more 

Foals 7 decent set 

Muse 8 not a big fan but epic show 

Alessa carra 6 my daughter wanted us to see her and feedback . Good voice but not for me 

Hurts 7 tried very hard but weather and crowd not good 

Madness 8 just fab

Tlsp 7 short set bit off their game but ok

Tame impala 9 just fantastic stuff top top sound

Adele 7 the girl can sing but it's just samey and not for me

Bears den 8 my new discovery before glastonbury had to see them and lI've them even more now beautiful songs

Elo 8 a parade of golden hits great 

Ellie Goulding 2 couldn't be bothered moving but just rubish I'm afraid

Beck 9 along with tame impala a massive hilights 

Coldplay 9 just a  great great live experience whatever people think of them

Wanted to edit my post to add some comments, but can't figure out how to.  Seem unable to delete the previous post too, so apologies for taking up double space, but here are my ratings with some comments.  It is from my Facebook review, hence bits of explanations for readers not in the know.

Thursday

Land of the Giants  5/10

The Hot Sprockets  6/10

Smooth Sailor  7/10

Friday

Orchestra of Syrian Musicians + Damon Albarn & friends  7/10

Rokia Traoré  6/10

DakhaBrakha  8/10 - I am a fan of this Ukrainian quartet so I knew they would be fabulous. I got myself a front row spot, which was not difficult as they played during the heaviest rain unfortunately. Their new stage dresses look great and I finally got my hands on a DakhaBrakha CD.

Goitse  6/10

The Alarm  7/10 -  I had seen the Alarm in Dublin about a month ago and liked it so much I went again. The set was almost entirely different, so that was great. The Dublin show had been all nostalgia, but now Mike Peters & co. played plenty of new stuff, known to their large following but not to me. I had to subtract a few points for Mike's remark, “This is our independence day”. He did not clarify himself.

Ed Harcourt  4/10

Sharon Shannon  10/10  - I have been following Sharon's music since her Waterboys day and this may well have been the best gig of hers I was ever at. Sometimes at festivals you get a show where the performers and the entire audience seem to be on a collective high for an hour, and this was one of those. In trad for me less is more and I am pleased that Sharon has ditched her big band and has just three superb musicians backing her – Jim Murray, Alan Connor and Sean Regan.

Hothouse Flowers  9/10 - They have not released an album in twelve years but live the Hothouse Flowers remain a Big Deal.  Liam Ó Maonlaí is a musical genius and a compelling, albeit increasingly eccentric-looking, stage presence.  The current look is Rob Zombie in a Tuareg dress. It was fitting for the lovely Ali Farka Touré cover they played.  The set included 'Hallelujah Jordan' and 'Don't go', wonderful songs that I will never get tired of hearing.

Underworld  7/10  - 'Dubnobasswithmyheadman' is one of my all time favourite albums and I had high expectations of Underworld's headline slot at West Holts. It was good, but I had expected more somehow. The tunes are fantastic, but there is only so much to look at with a dance act. Karl Hyde dances about enthusiastically, but what you hear comes out of a computer and that just does not sit well with me. The show was relatively simple. On a plus side, I found the dance audience very polite and well behaved.

Dagamba  5/10

Saturday

Beans On Toast  9/10  - Ever onwards and upwards, it is fun to see Beans' crowd get bigger every year.  The Avalon was rammed for this relatively early Saturday slot.  Beans is a joker but also a poet.  I love his lyrics about all the small things that matter in life, and the way he phrases stuff just makes you think, "That's exactly how it is".  Plenty of comments on the referendum of course.  Accompanied by Bobby Banjo and later on a drummer picked out of the crowd, this was Beans On Toast's finest Glastonbury hour yet.

Billy Bragg's radical roundup feat. Will Varley, Lewis & Leigh, Emily Cappell   8/10 -  I always try to catch at least one of Billy Bragg's radical roundups, which is Billy and guests chatting and taking turns singing politically tinged songs. Will Varley lamented that a lot of his songs had suddenly become out of date, but Billy pointed out that it is quite easy to sing Boris Johnson instead of David Cameron. I really liked young singer/songwriter Emily Cappell and intend to check her out more.

Kurt Vile  6/10

Ernest Ranglin  7/10 -  I was not sure what to expect but wanted to go to the Park anyway to get one of the steel beercups. Ernest is an 84-year-old Jamaican guitar player. His stuff is instrumental, and his guitar-playing style is unique. It was billed as Ernest Ranglin and friends. The friends included none other than Tony Allen and Cheikh Lô, who were so modest and in service to the main man that I did not recognize them until they were introduced.

Tom Robinson & band  8/10 -  I had been reading some interviews with Tom recently, and Frank Turner has done some media stuff with him. He seemed such a likeable guy that I thought I would go and see him if the opportunity arose and here it was. He had a full band with him. I knew more songs than I thought I would. Another engaging performer who makes the audience feel very much part of the show. '2 4 6 8 Motorway' may well have been the catchiest anthem I heard all weekend. He finished his gig with a new song – a duet with Billy Bragg entitled 'The mighty sword of justice'.

New Order  5/10  Biggest disappointment.  As dull a headliner as ever I saw. I like their music, but the gig just did not take off. Maybe it was the day that was in it. I had been to really engaging shows and I guess I wanted Bernard Sumner just to be a bit more like Beans On Toast... All he said was, “We made the rain go away”. I enjoyed 'Blue Monday' and 'Love will tear us apart' but overall really disappointing and as I was standing it out I found myself wishing the gig to be over.

Sunday

She Drew The Gun  7/10 - Winners of the emerging talent contest, who won themselves an opening slot at the John Peel stage. The compère said afterwards that this was the largest crowd he had ever seen at that stage on a Sunday morning. Very promising newcomers.

Eska  6/10

Sona Jobarteh  7/10 -  Sona is the world's first professional female kora player stemming from a Griot family (from the Gambia). The kora is a beaufitul instrument and it sounded crystal clear at this gig, which was a little louder than it needed to be, but staff were helpfully handing out earplugs. First time in years that I watched a show at the Glade, which is a nice spot.

Patty Griffin  8/10 - Great show from Patty Griffin, accompanied by a guitarist called David Pulkingham. Patty is from Texas and she made a lot of reference to this. She used to be Robert Plant's girlfriend and from what I have read he tried living in Texas, but homesickness got the better of him in the end. Patty and David finished with a lovely Mexican song called 'Caminito de la sierra'.

Joanne Shaw Taylor  7/10 - JST is a white blues girl from Birmingham and is the real deal. She performs as a trio, with a bassplayer and drummer. She reminded me of Susan Tedeschi.

P J Harvey  10/10 - I was blown away by the performance of P J and her fantastic band that included John Parish and Mick Harvey. I did not know many of the songs but it all sounded amazing. P J looked beautiful too. She read out a John Donne poem, written in 1624, 'No man is an island'. Judging by the prolonged rapturous applause at the end of the show everybody that was there loved it as much as I did. I listened to P J Harvey on my iPod all the way back on Monday.

Cyndi Lauper  9/10 - An unexpected highlight. I used to have her 'She's so unusual' album on cassette, so I knew those songs very well. I had checked her out on YouTube beforehand, just to see if it was worth foregoing others for the last band to see on Sunday night, and decided this was a good idea. It was a fabulous gig: Girl power, gay pride, a Prince tribute, a Patsy Cline cover – all good. Cyndi's voice is exactly as it was back in the 80s and she came across as a nice person during her in between song talks as well. The extended version of 'Girls just wanna have fun' was absolutely fantastic.

Edited by Watergirl

LCD and Underworld were my absolute highlights of the weekend. Both 10/10.

Other brilliant performances included Jagwar Ma, Christine and the Queens, Bat For Lashes and Beck (all 9/10), and I loved finally seeing New Order (8/10). 

Saw lots of other acts across the weekend, but these are the stand-out moments for me. Fantastic festival, despite it being the hardest of the 4 I've been to (damn mud). Wish I could do it all again!

ZZ Top            (7) 
Foals              (8)
Muse              (6)

Wolf Alice       (6)  
Madness        (7)
Art Garfunkel (9)
Adele             (9)

Laura Mvula   (5)
ELO                (6)

Edited by krisskross

Henry Green - 6/10

Alexia Coley - 6/10

Syrian Orchestra - 8/10

Black Peaches - 9/10

The Wanton Bishops - 7/10

The Temperance Movement - 7/10

Yak - 4/10

ZZ Top - 8/10

Foals - 6/10

Sigur Ros - 9/10

The Big Moon - 7/10

Jagwar Ma - 7/10

Kurt Vile - 6/10

Beak> - 10/10

New Order - 6/10

Blackalicious - 9/10

C Duncan - 7/10

Hinds - 7/10

ELO - 8/10

Catfish and the Bottlemen - 4/10

PJ Harvey - 9/10

LCD Soundsystem - 10/10

Only counting what I saw in the daytime:

Friday:

Beans on Toast, 7/10

Skepta, 8/10

Dakhabrakha, 8.5/10

Unknown Mortal Orchestra, 7/10

Foals, 6/10

Sigur Ros, 9.5/10

Saturday:

Oddissee and Good Company, 7/10

Baaba Maal, 8/10

Wolf Alice, 5/10

Madness, 8/10

Shibusa Shirazu Orchestra, 8/10

Desperate Soundsystem with Jarvis Cocker & Steve Mackey, 7.5/10

Super Hans, 7.5/10

Lee Scratch Perry, 7/10

Sunday:

Gregory Porter, 7/10

Craig Charles (Arcadia), 9/10

Honne, 7.5/10

Maribou State, 6.5/10

LCD Soundsystem, 10/10

Edited by Winslow Leach

Weds/Thurs

Lokkaido King of the Lobsters – 7. Fun. Used the ‘raise your claws’ sign throughout festival to track down group members. We were not alone.

Mik Artiste -  8, just the once this year but as to be expected.

Wheel of 4 Tunes – 9. Love these guys and hats off to the pineapple inflatable boat crowd surfer. The best way to get the festival going.

Friday

Syrian Orchestra – 7 A nice gentle start to the main festival. Even found Albarn not too irritating.

James – 5 Due to late start we were able to watch the last few songs. Cant say I felt lucky. The lead singer is an ass of the highest order.

Blossoms – 6.5, pretty bland but ok.

Christine & The Queens – 9.5. Fantastic performance. Huge charisma, good tunes, interesting moves and a great voice.

The Alarm – 7. Better than I would have thought. Got the crowd going.

ZZ Top – 6.5. Bit disappointing, tunes were good but felt a bit flat so left for food halfway through.

Ronnie Spector – 8. A real hoot, glad I was persuaded to see her.

Billy Bragg – 9. Angry uncle Bill makes for a good show. After the EU vote only one place to be on Friday night.

Disclosure – 8 only saw two songs as wanted to see Richard Hawley. But the two openers were great and a large young crowd seemed well up for them.

Richard Hawley – 9. Good show, he was late on due to technical problems and I have now seen he had to drop two songs from set list which may have raised rating as they were ‘the ocean’ and ‘theirs a storm coming’. Still he encored with Coles Corner which made the night for me.

Saturday

Squeeze – 8 Great start to the day, singing along to some brilliant songs.

Baaba Maal –  7 stayed to get a good spot for Wolf Alice but enjoyed the virtuoso playing.

Wolf Alice – 9. Excellent. Thought the big stage may dwarf them but they rocked. Will be interesting to see where they go from here hopefully upwards.

Kurt Vile – 8.5. long trawl to Park stage but worth it. Freak Train was the highlight

Paul Carrack – 8. knackered by the time I had traversed the mud up to the acoustic tent. Only went to see Paul C as wanted a good spot for ART. But I thought he was really good, plenty of people there and by the end of the set all were singing along to Mike and the Mechanics songs(not something I thought I would ever write.)

Art Garfunkel – 9.5. A real highlight of the weekend. Homeward bound into the Boxer set the gig up and despite some lulls during the poems, a undoubted triumph. Spot close to front really helped it would appear judging by others comments.

New Order  - 8.5. – Brilliant intro with the Leni Riefenstahl Olympic divers, followed by 40 minutes of good solid tunes , climaxed by 35 minutes of bliss.

Sunday

Left Field Debates John Harris – 8. 90 minutes of interesting debate with Paul Mason being outstanding. Must buy his book

Kamasi Washington -9. Big crowd which surprised me but by the end spirits had been raised and the tanks recharged for the final night. Would like to catch him indoors next time he is n the country.

Laura Mvula – 7. Caught the last 3 -4 songs, enjoyable enough.

ELO – 8. Great performance but as others noted and as I had feared Jeff’s lack or charisma meant it felt a bit flat. Still delighted to butcher Wild West hero probably much to those around me’s annoyance.

Beck – 9. Really thought he was brilliant, and will jump at next chance to see him. Shame crowd were subdued but have already bought a couple of albums based on set

Coldplay -  10. Cant fault the show. The new album works live and the special effects were amazing. But what made it top score was the crowd. To get that amount of energy out of a tired wet audience after a long muddy festival takes a great show. Cant say I would bother seeing them again but you will be waiting a while to see a better last night at Glastonbury