Rate the acts you saw

FloorFiller

(Thursday I saw Annie Mac and Four Tet who smashed it. Both a solid 8/10).

Friday

Two Door Cinema Club - Always see them at festivals and thought this would be a nice way to kick off. Hit filled set, as expected, but nothing particularly special. 6/10

Editors - Old fan from back in the day so wasn't overly fussed about seeing them but it was good to see them still fired up. 7/10

Billy Bragg - Best set I've seen him do in years. Was incredibly emotional and I think he, like many of us, was deeply upset by the referendum result which gave some of the songs extra poignancy. Loved it. 9/10

Muse - Managed about 10 songs. Set felt bloated and self indulgent. Have seen them play incredible sets over the years but this felt like a band passed it's sell by date. Sorry. 5/10

Saturday

Haelos - Moody pop to start the day. Watched from afar but enjoyed it. 7/10

Squeeze - A real delight. The band evidently loved the opportunity to play and revelled in it. How could you not walk away smiling? 8/10

Wolf Alice - Was great to see them get such a good response from a huge crowd. Hope they'll be given a slot near the top on the other stage next year so they can have a longer set. 8/10

Will Young - SO BLOODY GOOD. 10/10

Adele - Has been so good to watch her meteoric rise. Remember her as a humble backing vocalist on a Jack Penate song 10 years ago and now the biggest star in Britain. A set to remember. 9/10

Sunday

Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott - Had so much fun singing along to songs like Old Red Eyes Is Back, Fiver Get Over Excited, Rotterdam and Happy Hour. Crowd around me seemed to enjoy it too. 8/10

Years & Years - Amazing set. Loved the vogueing (sp?) and loved Olly's declaration of pride for queerness in the face of hate. 8/10

Some act I saw at Gully - No idea who they were but it was a great laugh (especially if you were fucked) 8/10

Mac DeMarco - I was pretty drunk at this point so it's all a bit blurry but I remember singing along very loudly and having a lot of fun... 8/10

LCD Soundsystem - Perfect. 10/10

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skepta - 7/10 - Great but thought crowd would be more into it

Catfish secret set - 8/10 - Good but too short

Sigur Ros - 7/10 - Great for first 40 mins and then it slightly merged into sounding like one long song

Wolf Alice 9/10 - Was worried for them making step up to Pyramid but they were excellent

The Last Shadow Puppets 8/10 - Seen them be much better but Bowie cover was brilliant

Tame Impala 8/10 - Was again skeptical about them on a big outdoor stage but they were great

Adele 10/10 - Simply one of the best shows I've ever been to

Catfish & The Bottlemen 9/10 - Fuck the haters, fantastic

Beck 6/10 - Can't say I'm into it

Coldplay 8/10 - Really good performers, know how to put on a show

Special mention to having to watch the end of Years & Years who were absolutely abysmal 0/10

Edited by willd255

Thursday

Smyths - 9 - couldnt get in but caught a few glimpses and they sounded great.  We sang our hearts and voiceboxes out!

Friday

James - 7 - not enough of the classics for me and 99% of the crowd, but it was entertaining enough I guess

Blossoms - 8 - recognised a few tracks and really enjoyed

Christine & the Queens - 9 - spellbinding performance, fantastic dance routines, great voice, great sentiment and loads of fun!

Aurora - 9 - JP Tent was quieter than i expected during the crazy downpour but what a revelation.  Beautiful voice ane very cooky like Bjork

Jess Glyne - 8 - felt like a radio 1 big weekend crowd but she didnt disappoint - though saw less than half an hour to go and see,,

Protoje - 6 - due to the shitty weather and the fact that the walk from pyramid to west holts took us a lot longer than I thought, we didnt really enjoy this as much as i'd hoped.  not his fault mind, more the missus' sore feet!

ZZ Top - 7 - good set list but not exactly mind blowing,  Tush was great though

Foals - 8 - better than i expected and almost felt like a headline set

Muse - 8 - enjoyable, the drugs kicked in and I loved it.  Highlight being a silent air guitar battle with a mysterious bearded stranger

Saturday

Bit of a lie in saw missed car seat headrest & the squeeze L

wolf alice – 9 – some great tunes and really didn’t looked overawed on the pyramid stage

madness – 9 – as good as I could possibly have hoped – great set, great party, Saturday was kicking off J

john grant – 8 – a real shame he lost his voice half way during the set but the crowd helped get him through it.

Example – 6 – hung around instead of following my plan of rushing to try and see Art Garfunkel.  Had a bit of dance outside in the nearly sun and recognised a couple of tracks

Chvrches – 8 – caught the last half of this and I really enjoyed some of their best songs at the end.  We planned that their crowd would be likely to go and see Adele, and as hoped we managed to get a spot right at the front after they all rushed off to the pyramid!

new order – 9 – great set helped by the fact that their new album is great and we had such a great view. 

Sunday

Bear's Den – 7 – nice start to what is traditionally a sombre wind down to the festival for us

Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbot – 9 – another great and witty set, full of tunes and hits.  Nearly cried when they did Caravan of Love, but then it had been a tiring festival!

ELO – 8 – faultless set full of tunes, perhaps a little too faultless and impersonal though.  Oh and I think the Eavii forgot to order the blue sky L.  News got to our group that the stewards were issuing ‘those’ wristbands for Coldplay tonight.  But we’d been looking forward to LCD for months.

Band of Horses – 7 – a bit of sundayness kicked in and we just chilled from outside the JP tent.  Some great songs again though

of Monsters and men – 6 – a bit meh and after a few songs it was about time we made a move on and get some wristbands for later

Beck – 6 – only caught the last half an hour and only recognised a couple of the tunes. A nice little tribute to Bowie and Prince as well.

Coldplay – 10 – jesus who would have predicted we’d go there.  But it was like a proper fucking headline show man, even the new tracks that I don’t like sounded great.  Nice for the whole group to stay together for the last tearful night!

2 hours ago, Little Andy said:

I caught the first 4 or 5 songs. The crowd were not into it at all, and its the only act all weekend I left! Haha, maybe a bad decision!

Ha, can't remember the exact songs they played but it was all their big hitters (Two Doors Down, Young Love, Alice Springs etc.) so maybe I just timed it right. Their newer stuff is different from their earlier stuff so if they played the newer stuff early then I could perhaps see it being a bit flat.

EDIT: Just had a look and they played some decent stuff early on too. Surprised the crowd weren't into that. Looks like a great setlist to me.

2 hours ago, Little Andy said:

Probably my favourite surprise act. Loved them. Maybe fell in love with the lead singer a little.

They tried their best to win the crowd over but it didn't feel like they did, although it was very early in the day admittedly. They sounded good though, I'll probably grab their EPs.

Edited by Andeeroo

Friday

X Ambassadors 1/10 - technical issues, played one acoustic song. Really let down as they also had technical issues when I saw them at Reading 2 years ago.

The Wanton Bishops 9/10 - Bloody fantastic and Williams Green suited them. Only knew 2 songs but I was captivated by it all.

TDCC 6/10 - Saw a few songs but I didn't fancy getting wet.

Aurora 8/10 - caught the last half of the set, she was nuts but brilliant.

Half Moon Run 5/10 - Too arty, too boring. 

Bring Me The Horizon 9/10 - shame it was a lighter set, but got a bigger crowd than I expected. Really enjoyed it, I got extremely muddy for this one.

Bastille 4/10 - one for the missus, and she didn't enjoy it. We both got bored and left after about 30mins.

Saturday

Nothing But Thieves 9/10 - brilliant set, started off with itch. Damn they can play!

St Paul and the Broken Bones 8/10 - Really enjoyed it, the missus enjoyed dancing to it. The singer had passion, and the crowd grew!

Madness 6/10 - Not for me, didn't like Pyramid stage either. Too many pinch points spoiled it for me.

Fatboy Slim 8/10 - I was a bit drunk, but everyone there was having fun. Highlight of the weekend for the missus.

M83 9/10 - Loved it! Reasonably small crowd though as I got to the front with ease. Really surprised me how good they were.

Sunday - Saw nothing :( Were planning to see Raleigh Ritchie, Years & Years, Of monsters and men and Coldplay.

On 28/06/2016 at 4:32 PM, Followill said:

Muse 7/10- I usually think Muse are one of the best live acts going and are perfect for festivals but it wasn't quite the spectacle I'd seen before. Which I think was the problem, I'd seen them play the exact same set but better twice before and once in April. Can imagine they were great for first timers though, didn't help my pleb of a mate spent most of the set on his phone.

Yeah I wouldnt give higher than 7, my mates loved it but 3 had never seen them before so missed them when they were really good.

I stand by my thoughts that if you don't like a song on record then live isn't simply going to change that and I as expected thought Muse new stuff was as poor live as record. 6 of the 1st 8 if you include the drill sergeant tape start are off of their new bullshit albums. I missed at Madness and returned after The Globalist and Drones had finished and heard Mercy heading back but I never thought I could leave a set of theirs so easily and how easy to get out and back showed they aren't thought off as they once were. I imagine Disclosure pulled a huge crowd as it wasn't Underworld taking a full field away....not even a fraction on the crowd Adele and Coldplay had I'd suspect. It also shows why they decided to play a Wembley capacity over multiple nights as the 02.

Saturday morning dude with laptop sitting in tepee with speakers 12/10 - He was just grinning ear to ear that people were dancing to his stuff in the mud at 5am Saturday morning. His vibes were awesome 

Chvrches 9/10 - I love their music a lot and that setlist was solid

Frightened Rabbit Other Stage 3/10 - extremely rushed due to the weather, the band was not into this set

Frightened Rabbit second set 10/10 - felt like we were underground carved into the side of a mud hill just rocking out

Beans on Toast 10/10 - I freaking LOVED this set

Buddy Wakefield 9/10 - Have seen him many times. Was amazing when he dropped the never done before poem. The beginning was very rough but he came around

Laura Mvula 7/10 - Maybe better if I knew her stuff a lot better. 

Ellie Goulding 5/10 - I don't know any of her music but was not into it

Sigur Ros 10/10 - just wow.... the lights, the trance, the music... wow...

Beck 6/10 - I had a lot higher expectations for this show

Four Tet Morning Side 9/10 - best morning I had at Glasto. Started a little slow but wow as he got going. 

Coldplay 10/10 - Was way beyond expectations

So many acts I will never know the names of. Glasto's size is just absurdly awesome. 

More love to The Smyths from me. They were brilliant as were the audience. St Paul and the Broken Bones blew me away, Herbie Treehead made my festival (not for the first time) Richard Hawley was superb despite early sound problems. ELO made me rise from the fetal position and dance at a time when I never thought I'd stand up straight again. John Hegley will never fail to entertain. 

Friday:

James - 6

Blossoms - 7

Aurora - 8

Half Moon Run - 7

ZZ Top - 7

Foals - 7

Underworld - 9

Saturday:

Car Seat Headrest - 7

Cats Eyes - 5

Izzy Bizu - 8

Glen Matlock - 7

Kurt Vile - 9

Tame Impala - 8

Adele - 10

Sunday:

Caravan Palace - 9

Mystery Jets - 7

ELO - 8

St Etienne - 8

Coldplay - 10

17 minutes ago, NoBallGames said:

Frightened Rabbit Other Stage 3/10 - extremely rushed due to the weather, the band was not into this set

Frightened Rabbit second set 10/10 - felt like we were underground carved into the side of a mud hill just rocking out

I'm a massive Frightened Rabbit fan, but decided to only watch the 1st set so i could also watch Foals. Shame :(

Really surprised by the Coldplay love in.

From what Ive seen on tv since, it just looked like a coldplay show. One Im very pleased I avoided. 

Ok, if you like Coldplay, you would like it - I get that, but this board as a rule are generally not fans. It seems to have changed. I am not sure why.

I admit I have never seen them live as I don't like them, but from what I saw on TV, I'm glad I didn't.

Adele... I think on reflection I should have given her a go. I was a bit fucked and I might have left as it wasn't uplifting enough for me, but I probably should have gone to that rather than just going to the SE corner early.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

howcome you didn't end up seeing anything?

Stupid really, went to pack the car, saw the state of the car park and tried to move it and it wouldn't budge. Panicked a bit after the fiasco of getting there last week. So decided to call it quits and got towed out by a tractor there and then. 

9 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

From what Ive seen on tv since, it just looked like a coldplay show. One Im very pleased I avoided. 

Ok, if you like Coldplay, you would like it - I get that, but this board as a rule are generally not fans. It seems to have changed. I am not sure why.

I admit I have never seen them live as I don't like them, but from what I saw on TV, I'm glad I didn't.

Adele... I think on reflection I should have given her a go. I was a bit fucked and I might have left as it wasn't uplifting enough for me, but I probably should have gone to that rather than just going to the SE corner early.

Should have dude, its £90 one off ticket you didn't need to pay, kicked the shit out of the Muse set. That was 5th time seeing part of them though and it was just too samey now.

10 minutes ago, 6t6o6m said:

Stupid really, went to pack the car, saw the state of the car park and tried to move it and it wouldn't budge. Panicked a bit after the fiasco of getting there last week. So decided to call it quits and got towed out by a tractor there and then. 

ah that sucks. a similar thing happened to a friend of a friend, although i don't think they even made it to the Sunday

49 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

But it's impossible to judge just how good a gig was if you weren't there.

Coldplay will always have their critics, and while I can see why people might be disappointed with their most recent output (Ghost Stories in particular), the newer songs come alive live. A Sky Full of Stars was a great moment, and I HATED that song when it came out.

I've seen Coldplay 5 times now, including 2011, and they have always been an excellent, crowd pleasing, live act. They have been perfecting the 'big gig' over the years, and for me, it was all effectively building towards this set.

The performance, atmosphere, Gibb, Eavis, Viola Beach... it all came together. Everyone in that field was full of energy and having a good time. Particularly impressive given it was a muddy, rainy, last day of the festival.

Whilst everything you say I understand, and respect - my post isn't really aimed at you.  You say you have seen them 5 times. You are obviously not a new fan. If you like them, fair enough. 

I don't understand what would have won over new fans on this board and they seemingly have done.

They are an act I'll just never "get". It looked visually great, with the lights and wristbands etc, but sounded completely dull musically to my ears.

I'm pleased those there did enjoy it. Im just shocked at the overwhelming great response on here. (Not so much the outside world, but on here we seem to think differently!)

Thursday

Smyths 7, would have been more if we could have got nearer

Arcadia 9, first time for me and awesome

Friday

James 6, seen them many times since late 80s and this was by numbers, them running late meant I missed Hobo Jones...grrr

2 Door 6, not my thing but not unpleasant

Jess G 3, deffo not my choice tho a good voice

ZZ 6, had to see them I suppose but should probs have seen Editors or White Denim

Foals 8 and that's because I don't know their stuff

Muse 8, have seen them loads and their own shows are always 10

Saturday

Nothing But Thieves 9, brilliant. Saw them on rec of my 14 y o. Love them

Squeeze 8, down the front, top quality and still got it

Baaba Maal 7, great to listen to in the sunshine

Glen Matlock 8, loved his wit, want to see him in a pub or small venue please

Madness 7, apparently came across brilliantly on tv. Bit flat halfway back!

TLSP 7. Arrogant but I do love Alex

Tame Impala 9, saw them supporting Foos 5 years ago and boy have they improved!

Tom Robinson 8, caught the back end of his set in Leftfield. Got 2468 and a couple of other tracks, plus a bloody great political speech. Forgot what a top bloke he is.

New Order 8, just still doing it after all those years and a great light show

Sunday

Paul Heaton 8, seen him and Jacqui five times in various places last two years and always make me smile

Michael Kawanuka 7, went cos of my Mrs and suitably impressed and not what I expected. This also may be down to Brothers Coconut Cider

Fisherman's Friends 10. Utterly brilliant comedic singalong while sheltering from downpour. Hey ho and up she rises

Bootleg Beatles 4, like eh? Wtf? Are they serious? At least you know the words...

Coldplay 10. Vowed to be nowhere near. Then heard the sound check from our tent in Cockmill. Then got one of those wristbands. Wow, just wow, perfect closing band with a superb tribute to Viola Beach and strutting our stuff to SNF.

Edited by Flysheet

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Whilst everything you say I understand, and respect - my post isn't really aimed at you.  You say you have seen them 5 times. You are obviously not a new fan. If you like them, fair enough. 

I don't understand what would have won over new fans on this board and they seemingly have done.

They are an act I'll just never "get". It looked visually great, with the lights and wristbands etc, but sounded completely dull musically to my ears.

I'm pleased those there did enjoy it. Im just shocked at the overwhelming great response on here. (Not so much the outside world, but on here we seem to think differently!)

I guess my first sentence was the most important. Maybe you should just give them a go live. Let yourself get caught up in it all. You might be pleasantly surprised :P

I'd been looking forward to LCD soundsystem for months but was kinda cajoled into seeing coldplay with my group as the wristbands were amazing.  Never been a fan since parachutes and in particular think the new stuff if shit.  However it was amazing - the atmosphere, the sound, the lights and the wristbands.  None of us were fans btw and none of us regret the decision.

I think everyone is mentioning the lights, take that away and Im not sure it has the same effect (I appreciate it is part of the performance).

I liked how the wristbands changed all night walking about the site - without having to listen to Coldplay, but that's just me.

Thankfully everyone seemed to have a good night. I haven't heard any complaints about a sunday headliner, no matter where they ended up.

I stand a better chance listing by stage - memory rubbish for which day

Phillipa's Van 0/10

Greenpeace

New York Brass Band 9/10

Williams Green

The Smyths 9/10

The Big Moon 7/10

Frightened Rabbit 8/10

West Holts

Michael Kiwanuka 7/10

The Park

Ezra Furman 10/10

Mercury Rev 7/10

Other Stage

James 9/10

Blossoms 4/10

Beautiful South 6/10

Newton Faulkner 6/10

Bears Den 7/10

PJ Harvey 7/10

LCD 8/10

JPT

Band of Horses 7/10

Of Monsters and Men 6/10

Pyramid

Madness 9/10

Wolf Alice 7/10

Septic 4/10

ELO 8/10

Muse 6/10

Beck 7/10

TDCC 6/10

Thursday:

Pete Fowler - Stonebridge Bar - 7.5/10 

Raf Daddy - Stonebridge Bar - 8.5/10

Steve Davis - Stonebridge Bar - 8.5/10

Friday:

Gwenno - Park - 8/10

Rokia Traore - Pyramid - 7/10

Skepta - Pyramid - 7/10

DhakhaBrakha - West Holts - 10/10 Surprise of the week

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Park - 5/10 (let down by poor sound)

Vince Staples - West Holts - 7.5/10

ZZ Top - Pyramid - 7.5/10

Midland B2B Joy Orbison B2B Ben UFO - Beat Hotel - 8/10 (awesome, but there briefly)

Dan Avery - Arcadia - 7/10 (only there briefly)

Underworld - West Holts - 10/10 !!! Amazing !!!

Get Down Edits - Glade - 9/10

Joy Orbison B2B Fold - Genosys - 8/10

Saturday

Anna Meredith - West Holts - 8.5/10, brilliant live performer

Baaba Maal - Pyramid - 7.5/10

Mbongwana Star - West Holts - 7.5/10

Kurt Vile - Park - 6/10

Tame Impala - Pyramid - 7.5/10

Midland - NYC Downlow - 8/10

Heroes Orchestra - Park - 8/10 (really enjoyed this)

Dave Seaman - Glade Lounge - 8/10

Sunday

Kamasi Washington - West Holts - 8.5/10

'Jess Glynne's' ELO :lol: - Pyramid - 8/10

Craig Charles' Funk and Soul Show - Arcadia - 8.5/10 (please can we get this on late at night?!)

Beck - Pyramid - 8.5/10 (clash with PJ Harvey so upsetting)

LCD Soundsystem - Other - 10/10 - A dream come true

Busy week, amazing festival. Only let down was Unknown Mortal Orchestra due to the sound. Artists really seem to up their game for Glastonbury.

Edited by GimpSquadObvious

14 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I'm a little surprised to be honest.

The girl I went with is a hard out Coldplay fan. 100% her favourite band. But she left after half an hour for LCD as she felt they just weren't the right thing to end Glastonbury on and said she would have much preferred an afternoon slot. Made me think about placing bands at a time that most suits them rather than according to popularity. Do any festivals do that? 

Pleased everyone had such a good time wherever they were :)