Weather 2016

Keithy

5 minutes ago, gerardfenton18 said:

you work in your boxing shorts you lucky git, here i am suited and booted where did i go wrong :(

Hahaha. Unfortunately I do not work in my boxer shorts :P I just get changed after breakfast. Trousers and shirt for me!

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

I've never paid attention to the weather for any festival - as much as I would love it to be dry, hot one, it's the weather in June in the UK. Unpredictably predictable. If it rains, it rains. No biggie, enjoy the music and dance the rain away.

The mud hasn't ruined a festival yet, it washes, it cleans and come a week after the festival you forget how muddy it is - otherwise we wouldn't want tickets so badly!

2 more sleeps!

I like your optimism, but face it- we're as good as dead

:D

6 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

I've never paid attention to the weather for any festival - as much as I would love it to be dry, hot one, it's the weather in June in the UK. Unpredictably predictable. If it rains, it rains. No biggie, enjoy the music and dance the rain away.

The mud hasn't ruined a festival yet, it washes, it cleans and come a week after the festival you forget how muddy it is - otherwise we wouldn't want tickets so badly!

2 more sleeps!

i suppose a lot of it boils down to previous experience doesn't it. I was lucky enough that the 1st festival i went to was a complete washout and i ended up with trench foot.....

lucky in the fact that i had a ball so it'd take a lot to put me off. 

on the  other hand if i had never experienced a muck fest i'd probably be filled with dread right now

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah...it's definitely a risk. Just hope that it's far enough away that the margin of error is in our favour.

Yeh, at the moment I think the storms are favoured a bit further East, but we shall see! I'm happy with the festival forecast now - I think barring any catastrophic thunderstorms we are looking at some showers at times but nothing too bad.

22 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

For those looking at the puddles and worrying.

Last week there were rivers not puddles and 24 hours later just some mud. What we see today will be gone tomorrow.

What we see tomorrow will be better by Wednesday and will only get better after that (although the obvious cutting up from footfall will make some places bad).

It really could have been a nightmare - it will be superb, we will all have  aball and we will all help anyone who needs it.

The party starts in less than 48 hours.

I am ready. Are you?

Bloody right. Cannae wait pet.

We all know today was a write off as far as the weather is concerned so I am hoping for a dry tuesday and wednesday to get the ground back on track. Seen some pics from today though and it does look quite bad, but we all know how quick the ground can recover. Still not worried.

18 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

Please say you've got access to the disabled facilities. You can park by gate A. There's a shuttle bus to Spring Ground where both of you can camp in a bit more space and no mud. There's a shuttle bus to the Park area and the South West that runs throughout the festival. Spring Ground has easy access to the top of the Pyramid Stage field without going through the really boggy areas. She can use backstage between Pyramid and Other stages that is still pretty heavily trafficked, but is much better than the public areas.

I'm in a similar state. Not disabled, walking, but walking can get hard. Don't believe the newspapers - there will be boggy bits of ground and these make great photos, but they're easily avoided. Biggest problem is that you won't be able to use the buses or backstage access that she has, so you'll have to take your chances and she'll be wondering what all the moaning's about when you meet up.

We're coming by bus, but we have disabled access.

We did last year too but didn't take advantage of the accessibility routes etc... but I think it's going to be a necessity this year.

Thanks for the advice, good luck!

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Right on cue....

Can everyone in the vicinity please take their hairdryers down to the site to commence The Great Dessication

Furthermore, I'm implementing Operation Protect the Ground. There's not much rain predicted, so problems will only occur if everyone walks about and churns it up.

• If it rains, you must stand still.
  • If you are in a tent, you are allowed to dance.
  • If there is no rain, check that the ground is visibly dry before moving.
  • You might find metal walkways and can use these if necessary.

I shall be patrolling the site (on metal walkways) with a whistle to ensure that everyone complies

2 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

Furthermore, I'm implementing Operation Protect the Ground. There's not much rain predicted, so problems will only occur if everyone walks about and churns it up.

Joking aside, if everyone sticks to the walkways Tuesday and - especially - Wednesday, then come Thursday / Friday it'll still mostly be a green and verdant pasture.

Just now, cb4747 said:

Possible best suggestion I've seen...

Is it just me that thinks if they just concreted the site or Tarmac it would solve all the mud issues!? Surprised no ones thought of this tbh 

Amazing no-ones thought of this; it's as if the place is used for something completely different all year round, like a dairy farm. 

BBC just updated: 

After the dramatic downpours of last week, this week's weather offers something a little quieter, though still with plenty of variety. We'll all likely see some rain at times, but there will be some drier and brighter interludes thrown into the mix as well. The summer solstice is on Monday and hopefully most of us will see at least some brightness through the day. As a general rule this coming week, the further north and west you live, the fresher it will feel, with rather more humid conditions threatening southern and eastern areas for a time midweek. Whilst some showers cannot be ruled out, it does look as though Glastonbury should see plenty of dry and fine weather, so good news for festival goers.

Just now, Glastonlocal said:

Amazing no-ones thought of this; it's as if the place is used for something completely different all year round, like a dairy farm. 

I just cannot even fathom a reply to him. I couldn't workout whether it was a genuine statement or not. 

6 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

Possible best suggestion I've seen... (please note my sarcasm.) 

Is it just me that thinks if they just concreted the site or Tarmac it would solve all the mud issues!? Surprised no ones thought of this tbh 

Hmm, site would lose the biggest greenfield festival in the world accolade.

next these people will be suggesting that what Glastonbury really lacks is a Calvin Klein desert disco.

1 minute ago, Jugtanion said:

Hmm, site would lose the biggest greenfield festival in the world accolade.

next these people will be suggesting that what Glastonbury really lacks is a Calvin Klein desert disco.

I took the kids to Camp Bestival (great little family festival by the way). I thought that it was the most middle class festival that I'd ever seen and then I saw the Boden tent. Praise the Lord that it's on chalk or the little darlings might get a bit muddy.