Weather 2016

Keithy

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Take something to rest on (camping chair, coolbox or similar) and try and avoid the worst parts of the site til it mostly dries up.  The site is a valley with a slight tip from West down to East along with North and South walls, central and eastern low points are the last places to dry up, heavy travelled paths up and down hills that don't have trackway are the thickest mud that's hard to travel.  The corner by Glade/Leftfield and the toilets the other end are about the last places on site to ever have any standing water.

Best of luck.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just need lots of prep, I'm afraid - good walking sticks, that sort of thing - and avail yourself of the disabled facilities at the stages.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. My main concern is getting through the entry gates, but we'll manage :)

1 minute ago, nban2010 said:

OH MY.

The norweigians are now saying sun

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Pilton~7292387/long.html

This could happen. We're right on the border between clear skies and showers. I'm sticking with my prediction for the last week. There will be showers. They will not be heavy.

For those looking at the puddles and worrying.

Last week there were rivers not puddles and 24 hours later just some mud. What we see today will be gone tomorrow.

What we see tomorrow will be better by Wednesday and will only get better after that (although the obvious cutting up from footfall will make some places bad).

It really could have been a nightmare - it will be superb, we will all have  aball and we will all help anyone who needs it.

The party starts in less than 48 hours.

I am ready. Are you?

Just now, Nobody Interesting said:

For those looking at the puddles and worrying.

Last week there were rivers not puddles and 24 hours later just some mud. What we see today will be gone tomorrow.

What we see tomorrow will be better by Wednesday and will only get better after that (although the obvious cutting up from footfall will make some places bad).

It really could have been a nightmare - it will be superb, we will all have  aball and we will all help anyone who needs it.

The party starts in less than 48 hours.

I am ready. Are you?

I'm sat eating a banana in my boxer shorts waiting to leave for work, so not quite ready yet TBH.

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Who ya trying to convince here???? :-)

Nah, I reckon ZMG is right. I'm pretty much sold on that idea. If you'd shown me this weather in October, I'm not sure I'd have bought a ticket.

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

7am image on met office satellite is now in, most of the rain bearing cloud now heading over the channel, thinning cloud passing over the west country, should be clear skies in a few hours for potentially quite a while.

Excellent. We're setting off at lunchtime today so it should be dry (although not underfoot!) by the time we get there.

Only problem is that it's wazzing down here in Oxfordshire and isn't forecast to stop, so I expect we'll get wetter packing the bloody car than for the rest of the week put together!

Totally with you on that sentiment @Nobody Interesting - It's not what we'd hoped for as far as a run up, but it's far from the disaster that some seem to expect.  @Mardy come on now fella, you're better than this ;)  Keep the faith, it'll be fine.

@pie_and_a_pint I'm a little northwest of you and it's fairly light here still.  Once the rain stops today it stays stopped for a good old while and the power of June sunshine is going to be unleashed.  Best of luck with packing and arrival :)

Edited by Spindles

25 minutes ago, wonker said:

My fiancée is disabled and she can walk but her left leg isn't good in the mud :(

I have a feeling that this is going to be a difficult year... 

Just so you're aware, our fellow efester @Katir has some shifts on the disabled viewing platform at Pyramid. Worth finding her when she's on duty.

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

@pie_and_a_pint I'm a little northwest of you and it's fairly light here still.  Once the rain stops today it stays stopped for a good old while and the power of June sunshine is going to be unleashed.  Best of luck with packing and arrival :)

Cheers Spindles! It's going to be an ordeal but once I'm in, I'm in and by this evening I shall be happily settled in my camping chair with a beverage :) 

21 minutes ago, wonker said:

My fiancée is disabled and she can walk but her left leg isn't good in the mud :(

I have a feeling that this is going to be a difficult year... 

Please say you've got access to the disabled facilities. You can park by gate A. There's a shuttle bus to Spring Ground where both of you can camp in a bit more space and no mud. There's a shuttle bus to the Park area and the South West that runs throughout the festival. Spring Ground has easy access to the top of the Pyramid Stage field without going through the really boggy areas. She can use backstage between Pyramid and Other stages that is still pretty heavily trafficked, but is much better than the public areas.

I'm in a similar state. Not disabled, walking, but walking can get hard. Don't believe the newspapers - there will be boggy bits of ground and these make great photos, but they're easily avoided. Biggest problem is that you won't be able to use the buses or backstage access that she has, so you'll have to take your chances and she'll be wondering what all the moaning's about when you meet up.

I've never paid attention to the weather for any festival - as much as I would love it to be dry, hot one, it's the weather in June in the UK. Unpredictably predictable. If it rains, it rains. No biggie, enjoy the music and dance the rain away.

The mud hasn't ruined a festival yet, it washes, it cleans and come a week after the festival you forget how muddy it is - otherwise we wouldn't want tickets so badly!

2 more sleeps!