Weather 2016

Keithy

These people think we can't tell these photos are simply the high trafficked areas(as if we can't see the tyre tracks) or don't realise that Glastonbury will be using coverings to try and soak up most of this before Wednesday, I highly doubt the entire site is like this and I think some people here are simply trying to get attention by making people panic by posting apolytoc photos without context

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surprise to see the mood has taken a turn for the worst.

I have looked at the TV forecasts and more importantly listened to the words bei g said.

I then looked at yr.no (it is due to update again shortly), met office and BBC as well as a council site I have access to.

The chances of showers/rain are being very over played and rather than anything being  a foregone conclusion I read it as:

Tuesday night into Weds: A 50% chance of some but not much light rain/drizzle

Weds: Mostly dry but cloudy with a small, less that 5%, chance of a shower in the afternoon

Thursday: Sunny with again a very small chance of an afternoon shower

Friday: The day that was looking most likely for some showers now looking mostly dry

Saturday and Sunday: Still dry warm and sunny

So not  a disaster but the rain now is not good as it needs 36/48 hours to soak away.

Expect horrible photos of the entrances as 200,000 pairs of feet walk through but once on site it will not be as bad as most I think expect.

Keep the faith.

This place is getting a bit depressing for me. I might have to step away for a bit :P 

I remember one year at Y-Not, the site was flooded but it was coupled with temperatures that dropped to something 5 or 6 degrees at night. The site is near the highest spot in England and it was windy as hell. We foolishly took a gazebo and we spent about 2 hours holding it down so it wouldn't blow away. Not to mention there was barely any indoor areas so we ended up sat in our tent for a chunk of the festival. 

And you know what? It was great. We had an amazing time. The weather was much shitter than it'll be this week and the festival is not a patch on Glastonbury. So I'm confident it'll be an incredible regardless of how '2007' the weather is. Either way, I'll be belting out All My Friends on Sunday night.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

No surprise to see the mood has taken a turn for the worst.

I have looked at the TV forecasts and more importantly listened to the words bei g said.

I then looked at yr.no (it is due to update again shortly), met office and BBC as well as a council site I have access to.

The chances of showers/rain are being very over played and rather than anything being  a foregone conclusion I read it as:

Tuesday night into Weds: A 50% chance of some but not much light rain/drizzle

Weds: Mostly dry but cloudy with a small, less that 5%, chance of a shower in the afternoon

Thursday: Sunny with again a very small chance of an afternoon shower

Friday: The day that was looking most likely for some showers now looking mostly dry

Saturday and Sunday: Still dry warm and sunny

So not  a disaster but the rain now is not good as it needs 36/48 hours to soak away.

Expect horrible photos of the entrances as 200,000 pairs of feet walk through but once on site it will not be as bad as most I think expect.

Keep the faith.

Bit of positivity there, I like it! 

A day at Glastonbury whatever the weather is always better than being stuck in work.

I wasn't fortunate enough to get tickets this year, and I would do anything to be there, even if it means picking dried mud out of my leg hairs and sleeping in the puddles in a muddy tent! 

So yeah - there may be some mud and rain - but you could always be worse (like me) and not be going at all! 

Snowboots yep, poncho yep, it's raining cats & dogs here so I think I will be investing in a golf brolly as well. Never really had a proper wet one before besides the odd day. I'm hoping the southern weather isn't as hardcore as it is up here. Nothing that a shed load of alcohol won't fix tho, fck it - bring it on!

The warm air coming up from the continent that that Mirror article talks about has been widely reported elsewhere.

What remains to be seen is whether the possible storms stay in the east of the country (Kent / Essex / Norwich) as first predicted, or whether they come further westwards.

If they do, we're goosed.

5 minutes ago, wonker said:

My fiancée is disabled and she can walk but her left leg isn't good in the mud :(

I have a feeling that this is going to be a difficult year... 

Just need lots of prep, I'm afraid - good walking sticks, that sort of thing - and avail yourself of the disabled facilities at the stages.

Just now, wonker said:

My fiancée is disabled and she can walk but her left leg isn't good in the mud :(

I have feeling that this is going to be a difficult year... 

Take something to rest on (camping chair, coolbox or similar) and try and avoid the worst parts of the site til it mostly dries up.  The site is a valley with a slight tip from West down to East along with North and South walls, central and eastern low points are the last places to dry up, heavy travelled paths up and down hills that don't have trackway are the thickest mud that's hard to travel.  The corner by Glade/Leftfield and the toilets the other end are about the last places on site to ever have any standing water.

Best of luck.

yr.no updated from the latest runs and falls in line more or less with met office and BBC

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Pilton~7292387/long.html

The overall thought is that there will not be any of the heavy thunderstorms as these will all be much further east if at all.

Keep the faith.

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Taken this morning.

i228ty.jpg

TBH those puddles look quite fun. The rain's stopping soon so expect it'll be gone by the time I've dragged myself through the car parks, onto site,  pitched my tent, and am ready for a bimble this evening.

I won't list each model as they're all pretty much in agreement. The rain is likely to stop mid afternoon, but a lot of rain fell last night. The low pressure is much more in evidence than we had hoped, but this is still not a flood. The likelihood is that there will be showers on most/every day, but the cloud cover is thin, so the showers shouldn't be too heavy and we'll probably get the sun showing up occasionally. Bear in mind that this is now the average forecast. There is still a high to the South West and a low to the North East. This has always been the case, it's just where the border is. On Friday it looked like we'd be OK and the North of England would get it, now we're getting showers. There's no reason that the forecast couldn't change again and it will be dry - we're right on the border, so massively uncertain.

This is not 2007. That had very low pressure, which we don't have. That had a very wet May, which we didn't have.

Biggest worry is the ground already. I'm hoping they'll be pumping and putting down straw and woodchip.