Weather 2016

Keithy

40 minutes ago, blackred said:

18mm wed-sun (rain every day) and 10mm tomorrow alone on the mobile site for Pilton, Somerset. That's a mudbath....

No it's not. It's half the amount of 2014 (including tomorrow when no one will be walking on the main areas) and even taking the ground conditions into consideration, not enough to make it any worse than that year.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, simonizer said:

See? Exactly why I'm done with this shite. It seems some folk on here are almost praying for it to be bad. And if we're talking rain 14 millimetres is fuck all over 3 days.

Can only assume these guys are getting millimetres mixed up with their centimetres. 140mm, now that would be trouble.

13 minutes ago, Jugtanion said:

No it's not. It's half the amount of 2014 (including tomorrow when no one will be walking on the main areas) and even taking the ground conditions into consideration, not enough to make it any worse than that year.

That makess me feel alot better

22 minutes ago, Jugtanion said:

Of course it is, there are no dry sunny days in that forecast and the site is already waterlogged, 2014 isn't comparable.

I'm not pro mudbath or anything, reckon tonights yr.no forecast will turn out to be an outlier, but the possibility is there - as it always is!

1 minute ago, blackred said:

Of course it is, there are no dry sunny days in that forecast and the site is already waterlogged, 2014 isn't comparable.

I'm not pro mudbath or anything, reckon tonights yr.no forecast will turn out to be an outlier, but the possibility is there - as it always is!

and the site still has 2 days before the majority turn up to dry out..........you really are a `worse case scenario` kind of guy arent you?

4 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

and the site still has 2 days before the majority turn up to dry out..........you really are a `worse case scenario` kind of guy arent you?

Not at all. As I said that forecast is hopefully an outlier, it also has 10mm of rain tomorrow - if it's that bad it ain't gonna do much drying is it?

I'm watching this thread avidly, and I'm not even going this year!

At first I was horrified with all the videos showing parts of the site essentially turning into a big lake, but the 'after' shots made me feel a lot better for you guys. A few things we should all remind ourselves about:

1. Comparisons to any year earlier than the last time the drainage systems were significantly improved (2013) are pointless. The farm had an inferior system to get rid of water in 05/07. Even in 2014, the year of the brief thunderstorm, the problem wasn't water, it was mud. And that was manageable (with either boots and wellies).

2. Rain ahead of the festival is better than rain during the festival. It means the site can be prepared and managed ahead of time, to the extent possible. There's only so much organisers can do when they have to meander around 200,000 people, but it's struck even before most of the catering arrives, so there's amply opportunity to put plans into action, and they'll definitely have contingency plans for this.

3. 'Showers' could mean anything. In 2014, I remember looking at some satellite imagery after the event and realising we actually got incredibly lucky. Within a mile or two of the site there were torrential downpours that just missed us even though they were forecast to hit. They'll forecast showers even with a 20% chance of it raining, which means it's 80% likely it won't.

4. Even though I'm quietly confident that it'll be dry for the majority of the festival with just a bit of mud in parts to contend with, let's not forget that what makes it all so fucking brilliant isn't the weather.

Edited by kalifire

Webcam looks pretty grim at the moment, satellite shows that the way the cloud has formed there is a streak that looks like it might carry on over that way for a while.  As ever, things could change and the 7am images should give a better idea of how today might go.  Less confident this morning than I was last night.