2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

22 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

although my eyes must be going because I can't find Beyonce on there.

10 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Beyonce (deservingly) Rolling Stone's AOTY. was quite surprised to see Car Seat Headrest at #4 - they're gonna come back huge with their next album

Weird thing about Lemonade is that loads of the songs from it are some of my favourite tracks of the year, and the film is one of my favourite films of the year, but it looks like it might not end up in my albums of the year. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Quark said:

Yeah, whether it stands up to repeated listening is another matter altogether!  But a year ago I wouldn't even have bothered listening to it as it's "not my kind of thing". 

I think of albums like relationships in my younger days.  Some are one nighters, some are semi-regular booty calls, and some are long term!

And then there are those you can't believe you even listened to once and pretend you never did :lol:

And some of Quarks albums finish with a damp mess in his pants after 30 seconds.

But mostly he just tells big fat lies about how many albums he's listened to. 

;-) x

Edited by Woffy

52 minutes ago, Woffy said:

And some of Quarks albums finish with a damp mess in his pants after 30 seconds.

But mostly he just tells big fat lies about how many albums he's listened to. 

;-) x

That was only when I first started listening to albums as a teenager.

Lost count of how many I've listened to these days.

On 11/29/2016 at 8:37 AM, FloorFiller said:

Beyonce (deservingly) Rolling Stone's AOTY. was quite surprised to see Car Seat Headrest at #4 - they're gonna come back huge with their next album

I'm not. It's my personal AOTY, a great record. I'm sure the band name puts a lot of people off, but if you haven't listed to it yet you really should. Lyrically, the guy is fantastic, and the record covers a load of different themes and subject matter.

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

I'm not. It's my personal AOTY, a great record. I'm sure the band name puts a lot of people off, but if you haven't listed to it yet you really should. Lyrically, the guy is fantastic, and the record covers a load of different themes and subject matter.

Oh yeah I'm a big fan and it's definitely placing in my top ten of the year. Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales is up there with my favourite songs of the year also

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Oh yeah I'm a big fan and it's definitely placing in my top ten of the year. Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales is up there with my favourite songs of the year also

2 hours ago, big__phil said:

Thank you for discussing this album, I had never heard of it and have just given it a listen and love it. Having only returned to properly going out of my way to listen to new music in September time I'm completely lost in all of these AOTY discussions. The only 2016 albums I have an affinity to are those of Glass Animals, Justice, Jamie T, Tourist, Honne, and Radiohead - and I'm aware a few of those wouldnt be at AOTY levels.

22 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

As a huge fan of Acid Rap, am I the only one who found 'Colouring Book' a little underwhelming?

Nope I thought the same. Acid Rap got repeated listens from me but I haven't gone back to Colouring Book much at all. It's a great album, don't get me wrong, but it was definitely missing something for me

Starboy is a weird one. There's some really good tracks, good tracks and then there's False Alarm. It feels too long but then at the same time it doesn't because the songs aren't rubbish. It's just good and not mindblowing. I prefer it over BBTM but it's not touching any of the Trilogy work. It does feel like a continuation of where he was on Echoes of Silence.

He should cut down the tracklist on his next album and go for a 10-12 track LP.

Is The Rolling Stones' new one worth my time?

Got round to listening to SVIIB the other day, really enjoyed it, solid listen. Also very much enjoying Instrumentelepathy by The Gaslamp Killer. My work have banned use of personal devices in the office, so I've had to resort to streaming everything through my work computer, Bandcamp is pretty much the only thing that works there, if anybody's got any recommendations for good recent full albums on there? Pretty much all Gaslamp Killer, Trust Fund, those Majora's Mask soundtrack remixes and Mitski at the moment.

20 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Starboy is a weird one. There's some really good tracks, good tracks and then there's False Alarm. It feels too long but then at the same time it doesn't because the songs aren't rubbish. It's just good and not mindblowing. I prefer it over BBTM but it's not touching any of the Trilogy work. It does feel like a continuation of where he was on Echoes of Silence.

He should cut down the tracklist on his next album and go for a 10-12 track LP.

Definitely too long, bang on with that assessment.

Just out of curiosity, which end of the Amazing >>> Catfish scale do you put False Alarm on? Love it myself

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Is The Rolling Stones' new one worth my time?

Got round to listening to SVIIB the other day, really enjoyed it, solid listen. Also very much enjoying Instrumentelepathy by The Gaslamp Killer. My work have banned use of personal devices in the office, so I've had to resort to streaming everything through my work computer, Bandcamp is pretty much the only thing that works there, if anybody's got any recommendations for good recent full albums on there? Pretty much all Gaslamp Killer, Trust Fund, those Majora's Mask soundtrack remixes and Mitski at the moment.

I don't know if it's still a dirty word, but there's a lot of DIY emo on bandcamp; Foxing, twiabp, Jeff rosenstock are my main recs but a lot of labels put whole rosters on there (maybe try big scary monsters, top shelf, triple crown, count your lucky stars). 

New burial seems to go on there, so maybe hyperdub have a lot of stuff (electronic, experimental bass). 

clipping. are a really good experimental hip-hop group, their newest album is on there (so maybe other sub pop artists are too). 

And I couldn't do a bandcamp thread without recommending Ducking Punches, a fave local band of mine. great folk-punk on xtra mile. 

11 minutes ago, evannn said:

I don't know if it's still a dirty word, but there's a lot of DIY emo on bandcamp; Foxing, twiabp, Jeff rosenstock are my main recs but a lot of labels put whole rosters on there (maybe try big scary monsters, top shelf, triple crown, count your lucky stars). 

New burial seems to go on there, so maybe hyperdub have a lot of stuff (electronic, experimental bass). 

clipping. are a really good experimental hip-hop group, their newest album is on there (so maybe other sub pop artists are too). 

And I couldn't do a bandcamp thread without recommending Ducking Punches, a fave local band of mine. great folk-punk on xtra mile. 

Oh aye that Sioux Falls album I've been praising came from Bandcamp. Now here under the new band name.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Definitely too long, bang on with that assessment.

Just out of curiosity, which end of the Amazing >>> Catfish scale do you put False Alarm on? Love it myself

:lol:

In terms of his back catalogue I think it's easily the worst thing he's ever done. I'll see if it can bring me round as I listen to the album more.

I Can Feel It Coming is class.

4 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

:lol:

In terms of his back catalogue I think it's easily the worst thing he's ever done. I'll see if it can bring me round as I listen to the album more.

I Can Feel It Coming is class.

yeah yeah, that's what I thought too :ninja:

Will give his back catalogue a look.  Still like FA though ;)

http://pitchfork.com/news/69731-run-the-jewels-announce-new-album-rtj3-share-new-track-legend-has-it-listen/?mbid=social_facebook

new Run The Jewels track from the new album, coming out January 13th. Full track list and features announced too, including Danny Brown and Kamasi Washington.

Edited by rhg_99

On 30/11/2016 at 9:40 AM, big__phil said:

Mine too, it's bloody great.  Can't quite believe how young he is.  Going to see them in March but also really hope they're at G next year.  The perfect place for a big chorus of "Friends are better with..."