2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

45 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Christ, West Holts could be my festival next year.

Most years I'd still pay the entry price if the fest was just WH and the surrounding bars/eateries alone.

I think if I was doing an AotY list now, it'd be along the lines of Beyonce, Anna Meredith, Emmy The Great, Gold Panda, Explosions In The Sky, Nao, Car Seat Headrest, Common, Anohni, Anderson .Paak, Nick Cave, Angel Olsen, Trim, Paul Simon, Bon Iver, 65dos, Modern Baseball, The Avalanches, Melt Yourself Down, Touche Amore, Imarhan, Polica, Mitski. Still haven't listened to a load of stuff I'm interested in like Bowie, King Gizzard, Warpaint, School Of Seven Bells, Bleached, Badbadnotgood, Ka, A Tribe Called Quest (!), Solange, so there's a lot to go so far, but I think there's been a load of solid records but no classics this year, or really anything that's personally ticked major boxes for me.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Most years I'd still pay the entry price if the fest was just WH and the surrounding bars/eateries alone.

I think if I was doing an AotY list now, it'd be along the lines of Beyonce, Anna Meredith, Emmy The Great, Gold Panda, Explosions In The Sky, Nao, Car Seat Headrest, Common, Anohni, Anderson .Paak, Nick Cave, Angel Olsen, Trim, Paul Simon, Bon Iver, 65dos, Modern Baseball, The Avalanches, Melt Yourself Down, Touche Amore, Imarhan, Polica, Mitski. Still haven't listened to a load of stuff I'm interested in like Bowie, King Gizzard, Warpaint, School Of Seven Bells, Bleached, Badbadnotgood, Ka, A Tribe Called Quest (!), Solange, so there's a lot to go so far, but I think there's been a load of solid records but no classics this year, or really anything that's personally ticked major boxes for me.

Check out the NxWorries album.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Have you listened to the Vanessa Amara album? 

Finally got around to listening to the Justice album this morning, aye, I'm digging it. Would echo what others have said on here in that it's not as good as Cross but certainly the best thing they've done since.

It's a right funky bastard, cemented for me that they'd make a great fit for WH this year.

2 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Alot of people on here seem to think that West Holts = Electronica, Hip Hop and Funk but if you look at the line ups for it on previous years you can clearly see that this isn't the case. 

It definitely comes under the West Holts remit. There's also a lot of jazz and world music (obv) on there that makes up the mix, but that isn't really as popular on here as the other stuff you've mentioned, so that's what gets discussed more.

27 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Alot of people on here seem to think that West Holts = Electronica, Hip Hop and Funk but if you look at the line ups for it on previous years you can clearly see that this isn't the case. 

No but I think it's fair to say you're more likely to see those genres on WH than you are on the other stages. WH is difficult to define which is the great thing about it

38 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Double post 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

There's been a dance headliner the last three years at least with Underworld, Hot Chip and Disclosure. It's broad policy is what makes it so great.

Anyone else interested in Sleigh Bells these days? I'm about to give their new album a shot. I forgot all about them but seen a decent review on DiS. 

9 hours ago, Badlands said:

There's been a dance headliner the last three years at least with Underworld, Hot Chip and Disclosure. It's broad policy is what makes it so great.

Anyone else interested in Sleigh Bells these days? I'm about to give their new album a shot. I forgot all about them but seen a decent review on DiS. 

Loved their first album, second album was decent, not for me since. Really wish I'd caught them live early on but wouldn't be adverse to seeing them now, even if the last couple of albums aren't to my taste. Infinity Guitars still sounds fresh to me. Are they even any good live?

9 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Loved their first album, second album was decent, not for me since. Really wish I'd caught them live early on but wouldn't be adverse to seeing them now, even if the last couple of albums aren't to my taste. Infinity Guitars still sounds fresh to me. Are they even any good live?

yeah likewise. that first album was a breath of fresh air when it came out and just sounded like nothing else, whereas now they sound like an awful lot of other stuff. there are a couple of recent songs that i enjoy but their two latest albums as a whole haven't been up to much i thought. like you though i'd still like to see em live if they were to play a festival or something if only for those Treats songs

Saw a band called Crazy P Friday night, they have been around for ages but are still churning out some quality albums - they played a few new songs so I'm hopeful for another new album in the new year. First time I've seen them live and they were phenomenal, would love to see them at Glastonbury somewhere.