2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

after giving Metallica's new album a few more listens i've decided that there's a really, really great, best since Black album in there, pulled down by a few plodders in a row in the middle of it. saw a reviewer mention Hardwired > Atlas, Rise! > Now That We're Dead > Moth Into Flame > Manunkind > Halo On Fire > Spit Out The Bone would've made a solid album. not sure i agree with that exact set of tracks, but there's some great stuff here (Spit Out The Bone especially is kicking my ass right now)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one reckon it's been decent, though that revelation of an album from Bon Iver is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. I'd say something like this so far.

1. Bon Iver - 22, A Million
2. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
3. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
4. The So So Glos - Kamikaze
5. Whitney - Light Upon the Lake
6. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
7. Glass Animals - How to be a Human Being
8. Wild Beasts - Boy King
9. The Last Shadow Puppets - Everything You've Come to Expect
10. James Blake - The Colour in Anything

Still time to change of course. And it did get a bit trickier as I got further down.

On 23/11/2016 at 5:56 PM, FloorFiller said:

after giving Metallica's new album a few more listens i've decided that there's a really, really great, best since Black album in there, pulled down by a few plodders in a row in the middle of it. saw a reviewer mention Hardwired > Atlas, Rise! > Now That We're Dead > Moth Into Flame > Manunkind > Halo On Fire > Spit Out The Bone would've made a solid album. not sure i agree with that exact set of tracks, but there's some great stuff here (Spit Out The Bone especially is kicking my ass right now)

Spit Out the Bone is their best song since the Black Album. And it's not even close!

It's a shame they didn't play Glastonbury on the back of this album.

36 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Bon Iver's album is ace. was shocked to see so many people not on the same hype train about it as i was/am

It's been praised quite a lot but people barely go beyond that. For such a hyped album, everyone's dead silent about it. Like people wanted it to be better than it is so they just said it was brilliant and stopped thinking about it beyond that. Cowards!

Edited by dentalplan

Bon Iver was fairly decent but underwhelming with the long wait and the exciting change in direction. I think I preferred The 1975 but it's not in my top 20 or maybe 50 so at the same time I couldn't say it merits album of the year. I don't really respect current era NME enough to complain about its lists.

EDIT: 8 (circle) is a belter but that's because it's essentially the album's Beth/Rest. Maybe yer man JV should do a full album of those 80's pop fuckers.

Edited by dentalplan

6 hours ago, jparx said:

Spit Out the Bone is their best song since the Black Album. And it's not even close!

It's a shame they didn't play Glastonbury on the back of this album.

Not a fan but I've checked out a couple of the new singles... How does Lars intend to play those live? How did he do it on the album even?

4 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Eh, I've been bumming out 22, A Million since it leaked in shit quality. Don't think there's an underwhelming moment on it personally, it strikes a perfect balance between great songwriting and interesting sounds. '00000 Million' is the piano ballad of the century.

Not even Creeks? I thought that was unanimously derided.

I'm really torn on 22, A Million. There's some really great stuff on it, AOTY level stuff, but then there's some real head scratching moments as well. A major problem the whole album has is a lack of personality. It sounds like Vernon is trying to make an album that sounds cutting edge, but in doing so he's failed to put much soul and character in to it. 

It's still very good but it's missed the chance of being something truly special. 

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Not a fan but I've checked out a couple of the new singles... How does Lars intend to play those live? How did he do it on the album even?

Yup. I don't think even Justin likes Creeks.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Heck no, Creeks is slow but it builds to some really beautiful stuff - 'Love, a second glance, it is not something that we'll need' etc really pays it off, and Justin's vocal performance even with all the effects is bloody marvellous. I'd say ___45___ is the closest thing to a weak point, but even that pays off really nicely once that 'Without knowing what the truth is' comes in.

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

No mention of Laughing len?!

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Better than Blackstar or Skeleton Tree, apparently/ 

NME is for kids tho and its 'best of' lists are skewed towards their demographic. Just like those three will place highly on Mojo's list and The 1975 and Drake and stuff won't get a look in.